Battle of the Network Stars show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle of the Network Stars show

I think maybe this might be the best tv show ever created. mentioned it to a guy at work for some reason and then decided to watch a few clips. and the every first show you got some kind of Seinfeld race at the end between Gabe Kaplan and Robert Conrad. and I mean Conrad totally wiped out in the previous relay trying help a teammate. but then he started arguing with Howard Cosell. and you can see Ron Howard, Penny Marshall and Linda Carter hovering in the back with this serious look on their faces. like some of the events, those guys took it serious, lol.

Kristy McNichol owned the obstacle course. she held the record I think. and you can see at the start before you have to crawl under a trampoline how some stars like Melissa Gilbert or Mackenzie Phillips would take a step or two before dropping. but McNichol practically started the race on her hands and feet ready. like she had some kind of obstacle course in her back yard she trained. and poor Adrienne Barbeau who probably had the best body in Hollywood, I don't think she ever made a clean swing over the water hazard.

and then you wonder, did Tom Selleck ever win and event? I know he was always matched against the other teams best players but he was a liability. it almost seemed like the younger guys like Scott Baio and Todd Bridges and that blond guy from 8 is enough had an advantage. and I mean Robert Conrad was supposed to be the bad guy, so when he got Todd Bridges on his team it was a guaranteed win in the relay. now that I think of it there wasn't a lot of black people in Battle of the network stars? Todd Bridges was the best tho. I haven't watched the reruns he was on the show yet, but I remember he was best.

also did William Shatner ever lose an event? I just don't see it happening. and at the time, these things weren't scripted. not only that but im even willing to bet Shatner even looked good winning. like in the boating relay. you can't even go fast much less steer correctly enough to not run into another lane. and he's like showboating.

and then there's the dunk contest. you had the favorites like Heather Locklear and Heather Thomas (who looks really awesome at 57) it was like you just wanted to catch a glimpse of them in their bathing suits. of course Dick Van Patten picks Jan Smithers from WKRP so he's got good taste. and then there's the time Charlene Tilton dunked Greg Evigan. he had style tho with the high heels and sunglasses.

these guys had everything to lose and nothing to gain except 20 thousand dollars. you won't see actors do that these days. I mean suppose Gil Gerard loses a relay event, his fans would be like Buck Rogers from the 25th century would never lose to Jeff Conaway from taxi!

Yeah, i like watching these and also the celebrity Family Feud game shows which pitted casts of TV sitcoms against each other to raise money for charity. I think they originally aired in the late 70's and early 80's.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I always loved the Heathers jigging their way through the football and dunk tank.....I also remember the year in which one team's tug of war anchor was Telly Savalas (Kojak) and the other team had Lou Farrigno (The Incredible Hulk). Guess who won?
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Loved watching that show, as well as "Superstars." They should bring these shows back!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          Loved watching that show, as well as "Superstars." They should bring these shows back!
          Kyle Rote Jr!

You'd never see current pro-athletes do the Superstars anymore, too great a chance for injury, or just mockery
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
            Kyle Rote Jr!

You'd never see current pro-athletes do the Superstars anymore, too great a chance for injury, or just mockery
            Agreed. Maybe retired players are better.

Didn't Robert Edwards of the Patriots blow out his knee and ruin his career doing a Superstars-type show? Or was it some kind of off-seasonal event for NFLers?

Comment

this was a time when everyone on tv was a star.

Comment

I mean we really did just see Linda Carter lift Gabe Kaplan up on one of her shoulders.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                  I mean we really did just see Linda Carter lift Gabe Kaplan up on one of her shoulders.
                  Lynda Carter still gives me a boner

Comment

Adrienne Barbeau dude. you can see her hips in the obstacle course, and of course you saw her breasts in escape from new York or the swamp thing. it's why she never cleared the water hazard in the obstacle course. truly the most awesome body in Hollywood.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                      I always loved the Heathers jigging their way through the football and dunk tank.....I also remember the year in which one team's tug of war anchor was Telly Savalas (Kojak) and the other team had Lou Farrigno (The Incredible Hulk). Guess who won?
                      that was much later. I mean Loe Farrigno could win tug contest himself. I was never a fan of the tug of war contest. unless MR T was on the team that year?

Comment

Working...
                      X