Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the Most Iconic Song of the 1980s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USA for Africa (LOL) - We Are the World (1985)

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Buggles - Video Killed the Radio Star. 1980

I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Tom Petty - Free Fallin (1989)

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Comment

This one's more of an 80s iconic song.

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - Don't Come Around Here No More (1985)

- Terence McKenna

Comment

It should be a song that once you hear it, you might say to yourself "everything about the 1980s was in that song." I'm not sure "Luka" or "Fast Car" do much of anything for me except reach for the off-switch as fast as possible. DMT's on the right track -- The Final Countdown is unmistakably 80s. Devo & The Buggles were also great calls.

The Police's 1970s and 1980s efforts sound remarkably similar, so while they ruled in the early 1980s, I wouldn't necessarily vote for any of their songs here.

Comment

Whitesnake - Here I Go Again (1987)

- Terence McKenna

Comment

Here ya go Johnny.

REM - End of the World (and I Feel Fine)

REM - Stand (1988)

- Terence McKenna

Comment

B-52s - Love Shack (1989)

- Terence McKenna

Comment

Billy Idol - Dancing With Myself (1982)

- Terence McKenna

Comment

It's sad that Stevie Ray Vaughn would likely not make this list, but he should.

Pride and Joy (1983)

- Terence McKenna

Comment

Somebody's Baby - Jackson Browne (1982)

Comment

Theme from "Miami Vice" - Jan Hammer (1985)

Comment

Goody Two Shoes - Adam Ant (1982)

Comment

It's interesting that I've assumed quite a few songs from the early 90s were released in the 80s. Does anything really disginiguish 90-91 from the 80s? Probably a testament to the massive influence of Nevermind.
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

How could we forget Kenny?!?!

Footloose (1984)

Danger Zone (1986)

- Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                                X