Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the Most Iconic Song of the 1980s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was thinking that The King of Wishful Thinking always reminds me of the "80's music" that this thread is about but it turns out it was only recorded in 1989, but released in 1990. Since it was recorded in 1989, I'm calling it an "80's song." This is quite a video:

Comment

• Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel (1986)

Comment

• Come Dancing - The Kinks (1983)

Comment

• most iconic drum break of the 80's, in any case.
          ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
            Exactly right. When I think 80s, I don't think of the horrific garbage you guys are posting --- New Order and Wham and Howard Jones or whatever. I think of the awesome response to the unbridled greed and general shittiness of the Reagan and Thatcher era.

Punk rock and metal were at their absolute zenith in the 80s, in my opinion.

Bad Religion, Dead Kennedys, Misfits, Minor Threat, Social Distortion and a zillion other epic punk bands.

Metallica, Slayer, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Queensryche, Judas Priest and a zillion other metal bands.

You can keep Poison and Erasure. To me, the music of the 80s was probably the best ever created.
            I agree with your first statement. Your last one not so much. 1965-1975 would be the best decade for music. But hey we are each entitled to our opinions makes things interesting.

Comment

• Can't believe that Van Halen hasn't been mentioned yet!

Just the sound of the first few notes of this song makes me think of Camaros, big hair, and pastel colored clothes.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• If Jump is Van Halen's 1a, then Panama is 1b. Both of these 80's songs have stood the test of time very well.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Exactly right. When I think 80s, I don't think of the horrific garbage you guys are posting --- New Order and Wham and Howard Jones or whatever. I think of the awesome response to the unbridled greed and general shittiness of the Reagan and Thatcher era.

Punk rock and metal were at their absolute zenith in the 80s, in my opinion.
                  I'm just in awe that you actually managed to make punk pretentious
                  "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

To me, the music of the 80s was probably the best ever created.
                    For metal and rap, I agree.
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• How Soon is Now?
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Good timing with this thread as I have been tasked to be in charge of the music for our 25 High School reunion coming up next month. I've pretty much got what all of what youse guys have posted and, I gotta tell, it absolutely pained me to put a lot of that stuff in my iTunes library - Tiffany, Debbie Gibson and all the popular top 40's stuff and hairband stuff. The demo at my high school skewed more towards that stuff, so putting on stuff like the Replacements and Husker Du or Minor Threat, etc. would be totally lost on this crowd. Trying to keep it palatable for the masses but infusing stuff that I like as well (within reason so at least people have heard it) so lots of The Cult and Oingo Boingo.

Funny story: I posted a topic on our facebook reunion page asking for people's suggestions (got lots of Whitesnake, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, etc.) and this one "friend (I use that term loosely since we were mostly acquaintances because we ran in the same circles) who I've speculated is either the most Metrosexual person or the most flaming in the closet gay person (not that there's anything wrong with that) requested the song "Smalltown Boy" by Bronksi Beat. If you don't know, that song is about being a homosexual in a small (intolerant) town in the UK and Bronski Beat/Jimmy Sommerville were gay icons and that song is a gay anthem. I dunno, I thought it was funny.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                          Good timing with this thread as I have been tasked to be in charge of the music for our 25 High School reunion coming up next month. I've pretty much got what all of what youse guys have posted and, I gotta tell, it absolutely pained me to put a lot of that stuff in my iTunes library - Tiffany, Debbie Gibson and all the popular top 40's stuff and hairband stuff. The demo at my high school skewed more towards that stuff, so putting on stuff like the Replacements and Husker Du or Minor Threat, etc. would be totally lost on this crowd. Trying to keep it palatable for the masses but infusing stuff that I like as well (within reason so at least people have heard it) so lots of The Cult and Oingo Boingo.

Funny story: I posted a topic on our facebook reunion page asking for people's suggestions (got lots of Whitesnake, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, etc.) and this one "friend (I use that term loosely since we were mostly acquaintances because we ran in the same circles) who I've speculated is either the most Metrosexual person or the most flaming in the closet gay person (not that there's anything wrong with that) requested the song "Smalltown Boy" by Bronksi Beat. If you don't know, that song is about being a homosexual in a small (intolerant) town in the UK and Bronski Beat/Jimmy Sommerville were gay icons and that song is a gay anthem. I dunno, I thought it was funny.
                          Maybe they'll like this song.

I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                            Good timing with this thread as I have been tasked to be in charge of the music for our 25 High School reunion coming up next month. I've pretty much got what all of what youse guys have posted and, I gotta tell, it absolutely pained me to put a lot of that stuff in my iTunes library - Tiffany, Debbie Gibson and all the popular top 40's stuff and hairband stuff. The demo at my high school skewed more towards that stuff, so putting on stuff like the Replacements and Husker Du or Minor Threat, etc. would be totally lost on this crowd. Trying to keep it palatable for the masses but infusing stuff that I like as well (within reason so at least people have heard it) so lots of The Cult and Oingo Boingo.

Just rip off the Grosse Pointe Blank soundtrack!

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                              Just rip off the Grosse Pointe Blank soundtrack!

https://youtu.be/JE-dqW4uBEE?list=PL...wqeDDKV7f1mXrU
                              Pretty much!

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                                Maybe they'll like this song.

Great song! I highly doubt most of the rubes in my class will know it

Comment

Working...
                                X