No announcement yet.

Rachel Dolezal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's fine for her to identify as black since it hurts no one, but it gives no credence to her trumped up charges of racism. That's like punching a dude at a bar (for whatever reason) then having it be a hate crime because he happened to be gay.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post

This is clearly morphing into a conservative fishing trip. Tread lightly!
      Fishing is boring.
      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
        Fishing is boring.
        Tell that to Ahab.........
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Is it possible that people are confusing Race with Ethnicity?

Race - seems to be a pretty static thing - one definition is " a category of humankind that shares certain distinctive physical traits". Skin color seems to be the easiest race identifier.

Ethnicity is a much different thing and maybe the part that is getting so many confused. If she says she identifies with "black people" or however she says it.... she is identifying her ethnicity rather than her race.

Maybe Im off base here, but the questions being asked seem to be using race and ethnicity as the same thing and they are not.

As an aside: We as a country are spending so much time trying to "celebrate" the diversity of people that we are separating from each other. Why cant we also celebrate what we all have in common and bring ourselves closer together???
          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
          Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post

As an aside: We as a country are spending so much time trying to "celebrate" the diversity of people that we are separating from each other. Why cant we also celebrate what we all have in common and bring ourselves closer together???
            Grab wrap yourself in a flag!
            "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
            - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
            - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Is it possible that people are confusing Race with Ethnicity?

Race - seems to be a pretty static thing - one definition is " a category of humankind that shares certain distinctive physical traits". Skin color seems to be the easiest race identifier.

Ethnicity is a much different thing and maybe the part that is getting so many confused. If she says she identifies with "black people" or however she says it.... she is identifying her ethnicity rather than her race.

Maybe Im off base here, but the questions being asked seem to be using race and ethnicity as the same thing and they are not.

I think you're spot on.

But is it only the outward appearance that is taken into consideration when attaching 'Race' to someone or ancestral bloodlines? If it's bloodlines we can all claim multiple races, for instance I know I have a Native American great grand parent on both sides so can I mark Native American when they ask for my race? Probably so. If it what I look like, I always mark White Non hispanic because "Old Dork" isn't on the form.

As to your aside, I don't think celebrating diversity is an issue at all until someone gets upset at others FOR celebrating that diversity. Coming together is the key but doing so because you can appreciate and accept our differences, not because we're all the same. We're not the same and never will be.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                As to your aside, I don't think celebrating diversity is an issue at all until someone gets upset at others FOR celebrating that diversity. Coming together is the key but doing so because you can appreciate and accept our differences, not because we're all the same. We're not the same and never will be.
                Well said. I am of the opinion that we would all be better off if we came to realize that we are all different, every one of us. The fact that my skin colour may be the same as that person over there is completely irrelevant compared to our lived experiences.
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                  I think you're spot on.

But is it only the outward appearance that is taken into consideration when attaching 'Race' to someone or ancestral bloodlines? If it's bloodlines we can all claim multiple races, for instance I know I have a Native American great grand parent on both sides so can I mark Native American when they ask for my race? Probably so. If it what I look like, I always mark White Non hispanic because "Old Dork" isn't on the form.

I would like to agree that we should be able to come together appreciating and accepting each others differences. We are not the same. That said, I still think the more we call out our differentiators we tend to create separators rather than bringing us together. Everyone's special differentiator, whatever it is, becomes more important than the other person's differentiator - or someone is upset that their differentiator is not as readily accepted or recognized as someone else's.

We all have differentiators....... Cant we all just get along???
                  It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                  Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

I would like to agree that we should be able to come together appreciating and accepting each others differences. We are not the same. That said, I still think the more we call out our differentiators we tend to create separators rather than bringing us together. Everyone's special differentiator, whatever it is, becomes more important than the other person's differentiator - or someone is upset that their differentiator is not as readily accepted or recognized as someone else's.

We all have differentiators....... Cant we all just get along???
                    Unfortunately some people's 'differentiators' are unacceptable to others.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                    X