Why get married again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why get married again?

I saw something about Baldgriff saying he was on his wife's insurance and it reminded me that he had gotten remarried. I think of the ones of us who have gotten divorced while here on RJ and most have remarried at this point. Why? I guess if you were thinking of starting a new family together then it makes sense, but otherwise, at 47 years old, what is the point? I feel like I made those declarations publicly once and they ended up being meaningless, so why go through the charade again? I'm committed to RJEL girl and she seems to be committed to me. It seems like a decent will would cover our purposes. I guess it helps that she is a fairly private person and doesn't want a service. No wedding dreams or anything. Sometimes I think it would make her feel more secure, but that really isn't true is it? What's the point of getting married?
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

A show of commitment. Then again, I'm a romantic and take marriage seriously.
    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

I am not giving advice.

Marriage is one more level of commitment, even if there won't be any kids. It is an open expression to each other (and to the world) that this is it. This is the man or woman I'm going to be with until the end of this journey.

I understand why gay couples want to be married, even though a civil union would give them all the legal benefits of marriage. Marriage is holding hands and jumping off the cliff together, especially at your age (and even moreso at my age).

Unless a guy is planning on having other female companions in the future, a wife is way better than a girlfriend, IMO.

But as I said, it is your world, and I am not telling you what to do. Everybody's situation is unique.

Comment

I've assured my wife that if anything ever happened to her that I'd never get married again....

"You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
          It is an open expression to each other (and to the world) that this is it. This is the man or woman I'm going to be with until the end of this journey.
          Okay, I buy that for the first marriage but when you've already proven to the world that this may not be the person you are going to be with until the end of this journey... what's the point? Or is this journey your time with that person? then the wedding is just you declaring that you will be with this person until you are no longer with them?
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I'm 54 this summer and getting married next Spring.

I have 2 daughters 16 and 14.

I'm going back to school to get my Doctorate.

I still try and make sense of Onejay's posts.

I'm fucking crazy.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I only was married once. Not planning a reprise any time soon.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                A show of commitment. Then again, I'm a romantic and take marriage seriously.
                This...and...

Marriage is one more level of commitment, even if there won't be any kids. It is an open expression to each other (and to the world) that this is it. This is the man or woman I'm going to be with until the end of this journey.
                ...this sums it up pretty darn well.

OK, the first round didn't go so well, but does that mean you don't make the same commitment next time around?
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                  I'm 54 this summer and getting married next Spring.
                  I know we tangle on a lot of stuff, but sincerely - congrats and good luck!
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    I know we tangle on a lot of stuff, but sincerely - congrats and good luck!
                    Thanks.

I know it sounds sappy, but she's really The ONE.
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

"I'm 54 this summer"

Me too!

turns out I got married on the same DAY as Bhob of RJ fame did (yeah, to different people though, lol).
                      am afraid to ask your birthday, lol
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                        "I'm 54 this summer"

Me too!

turns out I got married on the same DAY as Bhob of RJ fame did (yeah, to different people though, lol).
                        am afraid to ask your birthday, lol
                        August 27th

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

scary, but a little more than a week off

#phew

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                            scary, but a little more than a week off

#phew

twinsies!

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I already have a twin. Really.

But you'd be an interesting sibling.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                              X