Religious Freedom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religious Freedom

Does it extend to those opposed to War on religious grounds?

Could someone in the Military avoid a combat or be excused from any direct combat support job based on their religious beliefs?

Would those supporting the rights of business owners to abstain from providing services to others based on religious beliefs add their full throat-ed support to these "Conscientious Objectors"?

Just a random thought that popped into my head after reading an article about some folks who support the right to refuse service and at the same time support ticketing and fines for feeding the homeless.

Cliff Notes for Jay: This is about Hypocrisy.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

yes, but then you end up as a medic or logistics person, in some reading I've done on Vietnam recently, many CO's ended up in the Funeral/Morgue orgs.
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
      Does it extend to those opposed to War on religious grounds?

Could someone in the Military avoid a combat or be excused from any direct combat support job based on their religious beliefs?

Would those supporting the rights of business owners to abstain from providing services to others based on religious beliefs add their full throat-ed support to these "Conscientious Objectors"?

Just a random thought that popped into my head after reading an article about some folks who support the right to refuse service and at the same time support ticketing and fines for feeding the homeless.

Cliff Notes for Jay: This is about Hypocrisy.
      If it's about hypocrisy, you're the expert.

There have always been conscientious objectors to the military--see Quakers, Amish.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
        yes, but then you end up as a medic or logistics person, in some reading I've done on Vietnam recently, many CO's ended up in the Funeral/Morgue orgs.
        My uncle was a CO for Vietnam and did grunt work at a VA hospital.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

The lawyers can speak in more detail, but matters of conscience have always had a place.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
            If it's about hypocrisy, you're the expert.

There have always been conscientious objectors to the military--see Quakers, Amish.

J
            If you mean I can see a Hypocrite a mile away, you are correct.

If you mean I AM a Hypocrite, not only are you absolutely wrong, you're being a dick.

As for the real question, i am sure there are those who rail against equal rights and cite religious freedom as their justification and then turn around and call a CO a coward and un American. That was my point. Sorry if it wasn't clear.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Comment

Can we take the weenie measuring contest to PM?
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Strawman, non-sequitur, personal attack. Quality OP.
                  I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

If you mean I can see a Hypocrite a mile away, you are correct.

If you mean I AM a Hypocrite, not only are you absolutely wrong, you're being a dick.

As for the real question, i am sure there are those who rail against equal rights and cite religious freedom as their justification and then turn around and call a CO a coward and un American. That was my point. Sorry if it wasn't clear.
                    So you start a troll thread to illicit a response, you get that response, then take offense to it ... it must be the Sports Bar ... yup, it's the Sports Bar

These are the warm up threads for the upcoming election.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                      Can we take the weenie measuring contest to PM?
                      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                        So you start a troll thread to illicit a response, you get that response, then take offense to it ... it must be the Sports Bar ... yup, it's the Sports Bar

It wasn't started as a Troll thread.

I seriously feel the need to explain things to OneJay.

But if that's the direction folks want to take it so be it.

BTW I'll measure my weenie anywhere I wan't. It's fast and easy and doesn't take much room.

Dick in a box.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I seriously feel the need to explain things to OneJay.
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post

I love her. I'm just going to drink coffee and watch her for a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X