Gas Prices are obscene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
    Leads to an interesting question ... at a macro level at what point do enough people change their lifestyles that it starts to make a significant difference?

Over the past couple of years I took on an assignment where I was commuting 2 hours per day by car with the occassional 3 hour commute due to traffic; when this morphed to a regular 2.5 hours then 3 hours I worked out a change to another assignment where I can take the subway - I got lucky that something was available, but if it wasn't I would have started looking for a job closer to home.

I suspect something similar is already underway driven by gas prices; it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    It's kinda true. This kind of change takes a long time to manifest, though, and I wonder if a lot of people had plans in the works the last time gas went to $4/gallon, only to back out when things came back down so quickly. Things would need to stay high for a long time for us to really see any kind of macro change.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
      Mrs. SDS works from home again and it is great. Not only do we save money on gas for the additional vehicle, but I now drive the car (with double the gas mileage of my pickup) and she gets to do the little things around the house during the week, on her break, that we both used to do on weekends.

So it's win/win for me! Er, uh, I mean us...US!
      Uh yeah sure...on her break
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Mrs. SDS works from home again and it is great. Not only do we save money on gas for the additional vehicle, but I now drive the car (with double the gas mileage of my pickup) and she gets to do the little things around the house during the week, on her break, that we both used to do on weekends.

the milk and mail men both win too....
        After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
          the milk and mail men both win too....
          As long as she can "fit them in" during her break and get the housework done so it doesn't cut into my CoD Black Ops time on the weekend, it's all good....
          I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
          You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
          "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
          It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

My wife refuses to drive my truck, so I make the longer commute with the worse gas mileage.

Comment

What are gas prices at now? I'll be driving from TN to FL in early July.
              拖裤子,
              放屁

Literally means "pulling your pants down to fart" which is a Chinese idiom for "wasted effort." Makes sense to me!

Comment

Originally posted by Trader Mac View Post
                What are gas prices at now? I'll be driving from TN to FL in early July.
                http://www.tennesseegasprices.com/ (lowest in state was around 3.20)

http://www.floridastategasprices.com/ (lowest in state was around 3.40)
                I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Working...
                X