Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do they call apartments "flats" near you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do they call apartments "flats" near you?

I know in Europe they are called flat's almost exclusively. And they always have been where I live. But in the last 2 months, some company has been placing signs everywhere that say "Flats, from $160K"..... which would indicate that they are not flats or apartments, but condos, as you don't buy apartments.

Originally posted by Papa Deuce View Post
    I know in Europe they are called flat's almost exclusively. And they always have been where I live. But in the last 2 months, some company has been placing signs everywhere that say "Flats, from $160K"..... which would indicate that they are not flats or apartments, but condos, as you don't buy apartments.
    They're the new line of Jimmy Choo.....
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Those English. They have a different word for everything!
      “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
      -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

In San francisco, a flat would be a unit in a multi-unit building where your floor is someone's cealing, ie one unit on top of another, instead of a duplex or townhouse where you share central walls. Condos mean that you own your individual space, but are part of a group that pays to maintain the collective building.
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Where I grew up, a flat is a whole floor, not a subdivision of a floor. In Texas I never hear the term.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
            In San francisco, a flat would be a unit in a multi-unit building where your floor is someone's cealing, ie one unit on top of another, instead of a duplex or townhouse where you share central walls. Condos mean that you own your individual space, but are part of a group that pays to maintain the collective building.
            Right, so what I mentioned are condos, since you buy them. As far as I know, you only rent flats.

Comment

You can buy flats as well, we did when we bought a 2 unit building with buddies of ours, we lived in the top unit, they lived in the bottom, we owned the whole building as "Tenants in common" TIC
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Apartment is a more upmarket term for a flat.

Comment

"She insulted my apartment, so I knocked her flat"

Comment

"He insulted my flat knockers."
                    “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post
                      "He insulted my flat knockers."
                      flockers?

Comment

Working...
                      X