How long do you think RJ will last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long do you think RJ will last?

The other thread got me to thinking. We can argue all day about topics in which our opinions don't make much difference for changes in the real world. Probably questionable in our own lives.

RJ on the other hand is something we all have a vested interest in. We are coming up on 16 years in a couple of months. Ownership has changed, members have come and gone. Some are well missed, others not so much. Do we have another 16 years in us?

I would hope that RJ is not the most important thing in any of our lives, but it is important. Many have spent a lot of time in here.

I would like to think that we will be around for a long long time. When I can no longer work and have extra time on my hands, I would hope that a good portion of that could be spent in here.

So what do think? Are RJ end times upon us?

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    The other thread got me to thinking. We can argue all day about topics in which our opinions don't make much difference for changes in the real world. Probably questionable in our own lives.

RJ on the other hand is something we all have a vested interest in. We are coming up on 16 years in a couple of months. Ownership has changed, members have come and gone. Some are well missed, others not so much. Do we have another 16 years in us?

I would hope that RJ is not the most important thing in any of our lives, but it is important. Many have spent a lot of time in here.

I would like to think that we will be around for a long long time. When I can no longer work and have extra time on my hands, I would hope that a good portion of that could be spent in here.

So what do think? Are RJ end times upon us?
    No because the meat of this site is and always has been the information we share regarding a game we love.

The Sports Bar may be fun, but it's not the beating heart of this site.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Part of the answer may depend upon the demographics of RJ. I would want to know two things before making that prediction: What ages are the people who are the most active on RJ? What age are the guys who might be more active if we would let them get a damn word in edgewise? (Yes, I'm looking at you, Doig.)

I'd like to think I'll be on RJ a while longer, but at this point, I'm not even buying milk by the gallon.

It seems to me that there is a core of young, smart, dynamic guys who are really driving the site. I won't name names (or fake names, as it were), but I could list at least 15 or 20 guys who consistently contribute valuable posts on baseball, society and pop culture. I forgot that during the months I was in prison, but now that I am back I realize again how fortunate we are to benefit from that.

Comment

I see no reason to believe that it will end anytime soon. When we lost a big chunk of our critical mass a few years back with the website switch I was concerned ... but the fact that there's a core that stuck with it makes me think this place has staying power.

Besides, in another 10 years or so B-Fly's kids will be teenagers & he'll have more time on his hands.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
          Part of the answer may depend upon the demographics of RJ. I would want to know two things before making that prediction: What ages are the people who are the most active on RJ? What age are the guys who might be more active if we would let them get a damn word in edgewise? (Yes, I'm looking at you, Doig.)

I'd like to think I'll be on RJ a while longer, but at this point, I'm not even buying milk by the gallon.

It seems to me that there is a core of young, smart, dynamic guys who are really driving the site. I won't name names (or fake names, as it were), but I could list at least 15 or 20 guys who consistently contribute valuable posts on baseball, society and pop culture. I forgot that during the months I was in prison, but now that I am back I realize again how fortunate we are to benefit from that.
          Start saying something interesting and I'll let you get that word in.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

At the very least, 2:07 p.m. today (Okie Time)

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Otter View Post
              At the very least, 2:07 p.m. today (Okie Time)
              they have clocks in OK?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

IMO, this post isnt that welcome during the peak months of RJ - Dont we want to encourage new people to come back? Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                  IMO, this post isnt that welcome during the peak months of RJ - just my 2 cents.
                  No need to be Snarky........

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                    No need to be Snarky........
                    I clarified the post with an edit - but I didnt mean to be snarky if I was.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                      they have clocks in OK?
                      What's a clock?

Comment

I think it will last for quite awhile....between baseball, football and the sports bar, I'm on this numerous times a day (less on weekends).

There are still many great minds here that I enjoy reading their takes on things.

Hey, just my thoughts.

Gris

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                          IMO, this post isnt that welcome during the peak months of RJ - Dont we want to encourage new people to come back? Just my 2 cents.
                          Did you even read my post?

Comment

This post has exceeded the allowable level of snark based on the thresholds established within this website's snark-o-meter and has been flagged for deletion.
                            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

It was the whole end times remark that prompted this. Whatever...forget i said anything

Comment

Working...
                              X