No announcement yet.

Beer Hunting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree with Bhob on Ommegang (he recco'd it to me a couple of years ago when I took my nephew and MIL to Cooperstown...it was great). I primarily drink a beer that NakedRicci recco'd to me in a thread similar to this...Boddington's Pub Ale...love that stuff. If there isn't at least two 4-packs in there, then I need to make a beer run. I also really like the O'Hara's Irish Red and Stout (the Stout being similar to Guinness).

Props to bryanbutler for mentioning Newcastle Brown...good stuff as well...they have it on tap at my fav sports bar...which is why it's my fav sports bar, I guess....
    I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
    You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
    "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
    It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Guinness, Smithwick's, Murphy's.

Comment

Originally posted by amcg View Post
        Smithwick's
        Mmmmm, that's a good amber. I discovered it at an Irish pub here in Denver last month. Good stuff. And, so you don't get mocked for mispronouncing it like I did, ask for a "Smit-icks." Drop the H and the W.
        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Mmm... Smithwick's... I was drinking you last Thursday and moved to Guinness on Friday and Saturday..

Good times!

Comment

I live right near Victory Brewery in Downingtown, PA. Love their stuff. Also close by is Sly Fox Brewery-Love their Pikeland Pils and Dunkel Lager. Another local brewery that is outstanding is Boxcar, but I know that they only sell local. Yards Brewery out of Philly is excellent too-Love their "Brawler".

My favorite non-local beer that I have been drinking is Brooklyn's Pennant Ale.

Comment

I enjoy Newcastle, Dos XX, Rolling Rock, Shiner Bock, Shiner Blonde, and really almost all of the Shiner beers.

I've also been fond of Breckenridge Avalanche for awhile now.

Comment

It was a toss up which thread I should put this in...the beer thread or the Progress thread I am pretty sure this might be a tradition that eldiablo could embrace lol

The story of Iowa newspaper editor and beer blogger J. Wilson, who is drinking only beer and water for Lent, has gained a lot of attention this week.

On Friday morning he checked in with CNN Newsroom and explained his fast to Carol Costello.

Read Wilson's story here: For Lent, can man live on brew alone?

Wilson is 31 days into his fast, with 16 more to go. He drinks four beers a day during the week and five beers a day on the weekend. He told Costello he was enjoying his breakfast brew during the interview, which was conducted by phone.

The tradition of a beer fast dates back hundreds of years to German monks. That's where Wilson got the idea for his fast.

In researching extended fasts, he learned the first three days are typically the most brutal.

He told CNN Friday that the first day he felt a lot of hunger pains. But by day two the pains had largely disappeared. He said he thought the fast would be much harder than it has been so far.

To date, Wilson has dropped about 18 pounds. He plans on breaking his beer only fast on Easter Sunday, in keeping with Christian tradition about Lent.
                I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Here's my regular rotation: Guinness (or Murphy's), Bellhaven Scottish Ale (you fans of Boddington's should definitely check it out), Full Sail Amber, Kona Coffee Porter, Trader Jose's Dark, and Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat (secret ingredient, which oddly gives it a nice subtle blueberry flavor, is coriander).

Edit: I mis-posted about the name of Leinie's.
                  Last edited by DMT; 04-12-2011, 01:50 AM.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by amcg View Post
                    Guinness, Smithwick's, Murphy's.
                    If you go with those on a nightly routine, it won't be long before you have to look in the mirror to see little Andy

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                      If you go with those on a nightly routine, it won't be long before you have to look in the mirror to see little Andy
                      I'll have you know that Heineken has more calories than Guinness!

Not that it matters after the number of pints hits double figures...

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                        Full Sail, although I'm not sure it's a microbrew anymore, makes an IPA that is just plain stellar. I don't dig on the sweeter beers as much and find that Full Sail Amber is too sweet for my tastes. But their IPA is rock solid and doesn't have the uber-hoppy taste that many of the true microbrewed IPAs have. A+
                        I'm not a fan of sweeter beers, either, but I love a good IPA. I'll have to check out Full Sail, I think I can get it in Wisconsin.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Ok they were out of Dogfish Head and I thought of trying another Great Lakes (Eliot Ness), but decided to try the Brooklyn Pennant Ale. Haven't got to try one yet, but will tonight during the Pens game.

Comment

Some other faves I forgot about: Moose Drool (brown ale), 1554 Belgian Black Ale (by New Belgium Brewing Co., makers of Fat Tire, also solid), Hoegaarden Wit (Danish wheat).
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                              I miss all the Wisconsin beers, my brother went to college in Mad Town so I've been out there to sample to local brews. I really like Sprecher and Spotted Cow. Do they still make Huber? I saw Point at a grocery store in Brooklyn last month, that surprised me.
                              Huber just showed up in the eastern part of the state. I'd expect that means you can get it in MadTown if you get there.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                                Mmmmm, that's a good amber. I discovered it at an Irish pub here in Denver last month. Good stuff. And, so you don't get mocked for mispronouncing it like I did, ask for a "Smit-icks." Drop the H and the W.
                                not to nitpick, but i thought you didn't normally drop the h, just the w, so "smith-icks"? typical for british pronunciation (berwick, norwich, etc., are the same). that's the way i've always heard it pronounced. i first got introduced to smithwicks at a sports bar in arlington that a good friend of mine lives by. they have started selling it here in NM, but i like it less than newkie brown.

+1 to SDS (and NR indirectly) for boddington's. wonderful beer.

old speckled hen is also wonderful if you can find it.

but i thought we were talking about what we mostly drink. which for me right now is newkie brown. corona once in a while, because that's what mrs. B drinks and sometimes i want a much lighter brew.
                                "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Working...
                                X