Clear All

• Amen.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Mort Drucker, the main illustrator for Mad Magazine, died at age 91. RIP.

Comment

• I just learned that Stuart Whitman, actor, died on 3/16/20. He had a long filmography, received an Oscar nomination (for "The Mark") and has a star on the Hollywood walk of fame. He was 92.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
          I just learned that Stuart Whitman, actor, died on 3/16/20. He had a long filmography, received an Oscar nomination (for "The Mark") and has a star on the Hollywood walk of fame. He was 92.
          I thought he had already passed. He was in a lot of TV shows that we watched in my youth.

The movie I remember him most for is The Comancheros with John Wayne that was played fairly often on TV.

Comment

• Colby Cave, 25 year old hockey player for the Edmonton Oilers died 4 days after having a brain bleed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              I thought he had already passed. He was in a lot of TV shows that we watched in my youth.

The movie I remember him most for is The Comancheros with John Wayne that was played fairly often on TV.
              The movie I remember him for was "Murder, Inc." w a very young Peter Falk as the main bad guy and May Britt. It's a very good movie, based on a true story.

Comment

• Hillary Heath, British actress, a.k.a Hillary Dwyer, died yesterday due to complications related to CV-19. She was 74.

Comment

• Tim Brooke-Taylor, British actor and comedian, died today after having contracting CV-19. He was 79.

Comment

• Sir Sterling Moss, one of the greatest racing drivers in history. He was 90, a hell of a run for a guy who raced when a single seat belt and an open cockpit were standard.

He won 212 of the 529 races he entered...amazing.
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Jaime Ruiz Sacristan, chairman of Mexico's Stock Exchange, has died after testing positive of CV-19. He was 70 y/o.

Comment

• https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-raitt-981646/

that's for John Prine fans here (pro tip: click the link and read the whole damn thing -this is just the tip of the iceberg):

"John Prine’s 50-year career had taken him from the folk clubs of Chicago to sold-out venues in London, Australia, and beyond. But as he planned the schedule for the final leg of his Tree of Forgiveness tour, there was still one place he needed to play: Paris.

The city had never seemed to care for Prine. His down-to-earth folk songs had spread to Ireland, England, and even Scandinavia. But a promoter told his touring manager Mitchell Drosin that there was no point in booking his first-ever show in France; Prine would lose money if he brought his band. “John said, ‘You don’t understand. I want to play Paris, and I want to stay at the George V,’ which is one of the most expensive hotels in the world,” says Drosin. “It’s a Four Seasons, it’s insane. I said, ‘You know, your hotel is more than you’re going to get paid. It’s just going to be a club show. John said, ‘That’s great.’”

Drosin booked a show at Paris’ 500-capacity Café de La Danse, much smaller than the other venues on the tour. Prine loved Paris in ways that even Fiona, his wife and manager, struggled to explain. “He always loved that [Parisians] treated him with disdain, you know?” she says. “He just loved the people and the food and the idea he couldn’t understand a word they were saying. He didn’t have much of an ego.”

"After the Paris show, Prine celebrated with a French cheese platter (he usually opted for $12 deli trays). His hip pain was so bad that he decided to cancel the rest of the tour, but before returning home, he and Fiona hung out in Paris for a few more days. They ordered room service every day, drank expensive wine, and watched movies like Joker."

"Prine and Fiona flew home to Nashville, where Prine had successful emergency hip surgery. But in the days that followed, he developed a cough, which he assumed was related to his COPD. Since he’d been traveling overseas, a doctor tested him for COVID-19. As Fiona was walking out the door, the doctor suggested she get tested too. A couple of days later, they stood in their home, the doctor on speakerphone, listening to the results. John’s result was “indeterminate”; Fiona’s was positive. “I literally almost fainted,” she says."

"Prine became an immediate sensation on the Chicago folk scene. Two days before his 24th birthday, he was performing at Chicago’s Fifth Peg when the Chicago Sun-Times critic Roger Ebert walked in. Ebert’s headline, “Singing Mailman Delivers a Powerful Message in a Few Words,” led to sold-out rooms. Soon after that, singer Steve Goodman brought the unlikely duo of Kris Kristofferson and Paul Anka to see Prine play at Chicago’s Earl of Old Town. Kristofferson would compare it to “stumbling onto Dylan when he first busted onto the Village scene.”

"Prine’s kindness was legend, especially among Nashville songwriters. “Him and Willie Nelson are the most revered people in the history of the backstage,” Snider says. “In the rumors that go around in our little world, there’s no weird ones about those two. There’s no, ‘And then he flipped over the table and said, “Fuck all of you.”’ Just about everybody else has one of those rumors.”
                        Last edited by Judge Jude; 04-14-2020, 12:35 AM.
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Onaje Allan Gumbs, noteworthy jazz pianist, died on 4/6 in NYC. No cause of death yet has been listed. He was 70.

Comment

• Brian Dennehy, the actor best known for ‘Tommy Boy” and “First Blood” died at age 81. RIP

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                              Brian Dennehy, the actor best known for ‘Tommy Boy” and “First Blood” died at age 81. RIP
                              Cocoon?
                              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                                Cocoon?
                                Even though it was a TV movie, I thought he was brilliant in To Catch A Killer.
                                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                                X