*Official* In Memoriam Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    WWF legend Nikolai Volkoff died at age 70. Back in the pre-internet days, when knowing the real name of wrestlers was like finding out a state secret, we used to joke that he was an "Italian from Staten Island." RIP.

Strangely, two other WWF wrestlers also died today:
    Brickhouse Brown, 57
    Brian Christopher Lawler, 46

RIP
    Ah damn. Knew about Lawler, but didn't know about the other two. Nikolai was one of my favorites. Loved that character back when I started watching wrestling. Him and the Iron Sheik were one of the best tag teams ever.
    Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
      Ah damn. Knew about Lawler, but didn't know about the other two. Nikolai was one of my favorites. Loved that character back when I started watching wrestling. Him and the Iron Sheik were one of the best tag teams ever.
      I think of Nikolai (and the Iron Sheik) as AWA superstars at my personal "peak wrestling" period, 1981-87, particularly when the WCCW merged with the AWA to try to compete against the WWF
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Blackhawks great Stan Mikita dead at 78.

Comment

• Jim “The Anvil” Neidhart dead at 63.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            Jim “The Anvil” Neidhart dead at 63.
            he was always one of my "Tier 2" favorite wrestlers, it's crazy how good wrestlers are for deadpool picks
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
              he was always one of my "Tier 2" favorite wrestlers, it's crazy how good wrestlers are for deadpool picks
              It's sad, I would say a good 40% of wrestlers from my youth (late 70s to mid 80s) are gone. Half of The Hart Foundation gone, damn.

Comment

• Most knew it was coming ...

Aretha Franklin passes away at 76

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-11950661

It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                  Most knew it was coming ...

Aretha Franklin passes away at 76
                  An African-American street person was cranking Aretha on her crappy boombox on the shuttle bus this morning. Usually this behavior elicits scowls and eye rolls from the other passengers, but everyone gave her a break today. I noticed the other African-American passengers giving her the smile and nod as they boarded and exited the bus - "we get it." For an artist to still mean so much to people decades after her commercial peak - that was telling, and touching. President Obama delivered the perfect Twitter eulogy, of course:

"Aretha helped define the American experience. In her voice, we could feel our history, all of it and in every shade—our power and our pain, our darkness and our light, our quest for redemption and our hard-won respect. May the Queen of Soul rest in eternal peace."

RIP.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                  "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                  "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• The Tigers had a moment of silence Tuesday for Aretha Franklin at their first game in Detroit since her death and a rainbow appeared over Comerica Park at that same moment.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Ed King, Lynyrd Skynyrd guitarist and co-writer of the hit song "Sweet Home Alabama" has died at age 68. RIP.
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Robin Leach, host of "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous", died at 76. RIP.

Comment

• Legendary movie star Burt Reynolds died at age 82.

Comment

• Burt Reynolds and Lee Corso...teammates and roommates at Florida State back in the 50s:

Comment

• The Cannonball Run was always a favorite. I still can't help but watch if I happen upon it playing.

Comment

Working...
                                X