Obama's Net Neutrality plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
    Is this a tax increase by another name? There would be many $Billion of user fees generated. I do not see a comparable service.

J
    Give the fees to Al Gore. He invented the internet.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society...Oliver-s-doing

"Less than a year ago, when a wonky policy debate over the principle of net neutrality and prioritized Internet “fast lanes” seemed to interest only telecom company suits and nerdy open Internet advocates, a comedian's 13-minute segment may have helped turn the national conversation’s tide.

At the time, Tom Wheeler, chairman of the Federal Communications Commission and a former top lobbyist for the cable and wireless industries, was mulling new rules to allow broadband companies to provide “fast lanes” for content providers who were willing to pay for it.

“Yes, the guy who used to run the cable industry’s lobbying arm is now running the agency tasked with regulating it,” said John Oliver, host of HBO's "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver" in June. “That is the equivalent of needing a babysitter and hiring a dingo.... ‘Make sure they’re in bed by 8, there’s 20 bucks on the table for kibbles, so please don’t eat my baby.’”

Tens of thousands did, crashing the agency’s website and flooding it with comments the next few days, with millions more to come – the vast majority calling for net neutrality. And Chairman Wheeler, appointed by President Obama to lead the commission in 2013, was a good sport about it, telling reporters, “I would like to state for the record that I am not a dingo.”

On Thursday, the FCC passed what seemed unthinkable less than a year ago: reclassifying high-speed broadband service as a basic public utility – a common service akin to phone lines, water pipes, or the electrical grid, and therefore deemed a kind of protected and regulated public good – and precisely banning the kind of “fast lanes” the companies who control the nation’s Internet infrastructure have long fought for."
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

well since this is back in the news today I thought I'd revive this thread.

I read a tweet earlier that went something like this, to explain the concept ...

Imagine a future where Trump and the GOP get their way and get rid of #NetNeutrality ... FoxNews, Breitbart and Infowars are free with any internet plan, but CNN, MSNBC, NBC and CBS will cost you an additional $39.99 per month.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

FCC Director Pai, one day after reversing Net Neutrality, told Fox News the whole thing is overblown because today "you can still get on Facebook and Twitter." Another maroon.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
            FCC Director Pai, one day after reversing Net Neutrality, told Fox News the whole thing is overblown because today "you can still get on Facebook and Twitter." Another maroon.
            he does have a point when he said the internet wasnt broken in 2015 when the old rules were issued. I guess we will have to see what happens.
            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

If the providers didn't want to change things they wouldn't have lobbied for it so hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Igor View Post
                If the providers didn't want to change things they wouldn't have lobbied for it so hard.
                I prefer net neutrality but what were the ISP's doing prior to these rules that were put in place in 2015? Were they charging more for access to some websites?
                "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                  I prefer net neutrality but what were the ISP's doing prior to these rules that were put in place in 2015? Were they charging more for access to some websites?
                  No, but things have changed a lot since then. Now almost everyone has hi-speed internet. Streaming sites now dominate. And there are some countries that are using a subscription model that's website based, kind of like cable companies offering subscriptions that are channel based.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                    No, but things have changed a lot since then. Now almost everyone has hi-speed internet. Streaming sites now dominate. And there are some countries that are using a subscription model that's website based, kind of like cable companies offering subscriptions that are channel based.
                    I havent known anyone that had low speed internet (dial up?) in probably 15 years...

Hasnt T-mobile been doing this for years? I think they have a list of websites that dont count against your data cap. I never heard anyone complain about this before.

Currently with Comcast I have 1TB download bandwidth per month. If they slow down my connection going to some websites that would suck. If they allow me to pay an extra $5/mo so that a package of websites dont count against my cap, that would be pretty cool. If things suck more than they are cool, I'll jump to ATT who is currently laying down fiber in my neighborhood for their gigabit service. If they both suck, I'll pray for google fiber to hurry up and get here.

I'll definitely be first in line to complain/protest if things go bad...

Comment

I think changes for the worst will come, but they will come slowly, if the ISPs are wise. If you boil a frog slowly, he won't notice.

Comment

Working...
                      X