Confession is good for the soul or ABBA DABA DOO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confession is good for the soul or ABBA DABA DOO

After 26 years there is not much that I wouldn't do for my wife. Along with my wife comes the big blessing of her parents. They are wonderful In-Laws. I love them deeply. Also not much I wouldn't do for them.

We struggle in areas of finding entertainment that all of us can enjoy. I usually compromise my tastes for their enjoyment. So when the London's West End brought ABBA Mania to one of our local college campuses I figured how bad can it be? I thought that seeing the joy on my wife and her parents faces could easily overcome any bad memories of the drek I lived through with the original ABBA in the mid 70's. I bought tickets.

We get to the theater and get to our very nice seats. Lights dim, announcer comes out and announces singing and dancing is encouraged. Two things that I loathe in concerts that I actually want to see. Still I am not there for me so I am going to suck it up, smile and work through this in great spirits. The place is sold out.

The curtain rises to three members of the back up band. Out come the ABBA Pretenders. The men looked ridiculous, the two women, better looking than the original group. Both had great legs. There was something off about their dancing. It wasn't bad, but not really good either. It was like watching a train wreck, couldn't take my eyes off it. Ah this was 70's dancing, not what we are used to today. The singing was good and ABBA ish. Is that a good thing? I find myself wanting them to sound like ABBA! Something is very wrong here. Why do I want someone to sound like a group I don't like? Now sounding very ABBA they break into Mama Mia and everyone except me stands up and dances and sings. This is not the time to make a stand, so I reluctantly join them.

The fake Swedish accents that the girls used to banter with the audience was almost more than I could bear. Sounded like feminine Mr. Rodgers from Sweden.

As the show progressed I found myself (Lord help me) tapping my foot. When they did a very credible Fernando I caught myself actually head bobbing! Oh my God, what is happening to meee!!!

Everyone ended up having a good time. And while I would never see them again, so did I.

I have a long trip to Minnesota tomorrow. I will be cranking the hard rock to cleanse my senses.

There, I have confessed. How long does it take to feel better about myself?

You're coming to Minnesota and we're supposed to get 10 inches of snow starting tomorrow...I think that's penance enough.

Seriously, if you can delay your trip by a couple of days, do it...1st snow of the winter and it's not going to be pretty.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

When they did a very credible Fernando I caught myself actually head bobbing! Oh my God, what is happening to meee!!!
      Is it even possible to bob your head to Fernando ? I'm trying to play the song in my head and bob along -- it's just not working.
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        You're coming to Minnesota and we're supposed to get 10 inches of snow starting tomorrow...I think that's penance enough.

Seriously, if you can delay your trip by a couple of days, do it...1st snow of the winter and it's not going to be pretty.
        Thanks for the heads up! I am supposed to be in Owatonna, MN at 1:00 tomorrow. From there Lake City at 4:00. Then Tuesday Burnsville MN at 10:30.

According to what I just read, the snow is not supposed to start until noon. I really need to get up there this week and am not sure I can postpone it until Thursday/Friday. I am used to driving in snow but 10 to 12 inches is a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          Is it even possible to bob your head to Fernando ? I'm trying to play the song in my head and bob along -- it's just not working.
          You are trying to bob too early. Start at the chorus.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up! I am supposed to be in Owatonna, MN at 1:00 tomorrow. From there Lake City at 4:00. Then Tuesday Burnsville MN at 10:30.

According to what I just read, the snow is not supposed to start until noon. I really need to get up there this week and am not sure I can postpone it until Thursday/Friday. I am used to driving in snow but 10 to 12 inches is a challenge.
            Well, I am pulled into Owatonna and no sign of snow yet. I will get in the important call and deal with winter if it comes in tonight.

So fare so good.

Comment

listening to an ABBA cover band - yikes
              driving in 12 inches of snow - yikes

is there a plan C?

Comment

You are trying to bob too early. Start at the chorus.
                Thanks, that helped a lot, I think I've got it now.
                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I try to live my live ABBA-free
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                    listening to an ABBA cover band - yikes
                    driving in 12 inches of snow - yikes

is there a plan C?
                    Well, never to see an ABBA cover band again.

The 16 inches of snow passed north of me. I will be leaving in a few minutes to make my 10:30 call. We have about 5 inches here so it shouldn't be too big of a deal. The storm was split north and south. I am not sure what I will be hitting on the drive to Madison Wisconsin later today. I didn't check as it really doesn't matter. I will have to deal with it either way. Of course if it gets too bad I will find a hotel and wait until tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                      I try to live my live ABBA-free
                      Good call.

1974 Gregg would never have seen this coming! Ever! Love makes us do strange things.

Comment

Working...
                      X