Pittsburgh wins national "ugliest accent" contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pittsburgh wins national "ugliest accent" contest

Gawker.com’s bracketed competition came down to Pittsburgh vs. Scranton. Pittsburgh prevailed with 54 percent of the vote. 

"It's official: Pittsburgh has America's ugliest accent.

So said a slight majority of voters in the final round of a tongues-in-cheek online tournament by Gawker.com that pitted Pittsburgh vs. 15 other cities....

No. 4-seeded Pittsburgh bested — or more accurately, worsted — No. 13 seed Atlanta, No. 5 Philadelphia and No. 1 Boston to make it into the finals of the online “America’s Ugliest Accent” poll, which was mostly Internet silliness."
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

I'm flying to Australia this week, and have to confess, that Aussie girl accent is my kryptonite, especially combined with cleavage....
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
      Hmm, I have no idea what the Pittsburgh accent is.

I was just speaking with someone the other day when I confessed that people with southern accents inevitably sound less than intelligent to me. It's super unfair, obviously, but it's hard for me to shake.
      Hmm...I always thought you spoke with a Southern accent.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
        I'm flying to Australia this week, and have to confess, that Aussie girl accent is my kryptonite, especially combined with cleavage....
        In 1977 I was interviewing for a job just north of Atlanta GA. My future boss took me to a very nice restaurant named Daddy's Money. The waitresses all had tans, long hair, wore yellow low cut dresses with big brimmed hats. When they talked with that southern drawl, I about passed out. I knew right then that I needed to live for a season in Georgia.

Comment

Because I sound stupid to you?
          Nah, I was just having a bit of fun. Figured you would laugh. No disrespect intended.

Comment

Oh, it's because you're attracted to me. Gotcha.
            Always like the bad girls!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              Hmm...I always thought you spoke with a Southern accent.
              I tend to read his posts as him screaming his responses Something to do with the avatar maybe?
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                I was at a wedding in Napa this past weekend and the groom was Australian so a lot of his friends and friends' wives (also Australian) were there. I'm with ya.

Comment

Working...
                X