No announcement yet.

Which MLB parks should I visit in 2015?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which MLB parks should I visit in 2015?

During the past few summers I have taken trips which allowed me to visit new ballparks. I'm looking for suggestions on which stadiums to visit next summer. I prefer MLB but did go to Cashman Stadium (Las Vegas) and want to go to Buffalo to see the Bisons (Blue Jays AAA).

Here's where I've been recently:

2014: Olympic Stadium (preseason), Wrigley Field, Miller Park, Rogers Centre (X5)
    2013: Cashman Field (Las Vegas), Rogers Centre
    2012: Marlins Park, Rogers Centre
    2011: Fenway Park
    2010: Oriole Park, Citizens Bank Park, Rogers Centre, Comerica Park
    2009: Dodger Stadium, Angel Stadium, Oriole Park

I plan to kick things off by going to my first Blue Jays spring training in Florida in March. Circuits on my radar include:

A's/Giants/Dodgers/Padres - LOVE California, not sure what a week of travel down there would cost.
    Yankees/Mets/? - I saw the Yankees in 1999 and knew I'd need to wait a few years before I attempted to get into the new park. Is it time?
    Tigers/Reds/Indians/Pirates - I have always heard good things about Jacobs Field
    Orioles/Nationals/Pirates - O's fans raved about Nationals Park
    Tigers/Cubs/White Sox/Brewers/Twins - Wrigley was my favourite park and I love Chicago

What's the best circuit?

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Admin please move this to the baseball forum.

Comment

It helps that Yankees have missed the playoffs the last two seasons and there is no grand farewell tour scheduled this time a la Jeter/Rivera (unless A-Rod makes an announcement, lol), but tickets still will be pricey in the summer. Citi Field is actually more fun, and a lot cheaper. Less so if the Mets pitching peaks as expected, but if so the park will rocking like a playoff game each night, given the hunger of the fan base.

Oakland seems like the only stinker; I didn't care for Miller Park in Milwaukee but it's a fun town and the fans are nice.

SF obviiously gets great reviews, but PITT probably gets as many or more, and another good town.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Having been to almost all of the ones you're considering, I'd go Os/Nats/Pirates.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

The Mets and Yankees have less of a "Wrigleyville" atmosphere than most around the stadium, if that's important (ditto Miller Park, though options are not as far away). The Mets have a McFadden's within the stadium with a separate entrance, and the Yankees have a couple of 'dive' spots, but it doesn't compare to many others. But you can take the subway to either stadium (elevated in that part, a la Wrigley), which is fun.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

It was raining in Chicago and I had to fly out the next day so I didn't stop in Wrigleyville post-game. I did hang out at Sluggers beforehand.

The east coast does intrigue me more than CHI/MIL. Also, I could drive there, which would reduce the cost vs. flight and rental car in CA.

NY/Bal/Was/Pit/Cle/Buf makes sense as a route, though it is a long one. I could do just NY/Bal/Was to shorten the trip. I'd want to spend some time in New York as I missed Broadway and the Carnegie Deli last time. I loved Central Park.

Hmmm, I could get behind this.

Comment

well, if you're driving to NYC, some research on where to park is a must. could cost $$$$$$$$$ if you're not careful (plus a lot of people don't like to drive anywhere in the 5 boroughs).

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                well, if you're driving to NYC, some research on where to park is a must. could cost $$$$$$$$$ if you're not careful (plus a lot of people don't like to drive anywhere in the 5 boroughs).
                Thanks for planting the seed. When I was there in '99 I stayed with a friend in Jersey City and we took the subway in to NYC every day. I might want to look at doing that again.

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                  It was raining in Chicago and I had to fly out the next day so I didn't stop in Wrigleyville post-game. I did hang out at Sluggers beforehand.

The east coast does intrigue me more than CHI/MIL. Also, I could drive there, which would reduce the cost vs. flight and rental car in CA.

NY/Bal/Was/Pit/Cle/Buf makes sense as a route, though it is a long one. I could do just NY/Bal/Was to shorten the trip. I'd want to spend some time in New York as I missed Broadway and the Carnegie Deli last time. I loved Central Park.

Hmmm, I could get behind this.
                  Out of curiosity, why if you did NY/Bal/Was you wouldn't go to Philly also. You'd go right by Philly on the way to Baltimore.

If you do this, perhaps we'll have to meet up for an Orioles game? My son wants to go to a Phillies game also, so I might be hitting both stadiums next year...and heck might hit Nationals Park also.
                  Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                    Thanks for planting the seed. When I was there in '99 I stayed with a friend in Jersey City and we took the subway in to NYC every day. I might want to look at doing that again.
                    yes, Jersey City and Hoboken both are good bets. easier to get to Yankee Stadium that way, but if you have time and like a couple of rides, you can get to Citi Field, too, and save some dough (may be cheaper to park in Secaucus, but we'd figure some options out for you).

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

I'd be fine riding the trains around. I just did some research. Here's a possible itinerary.

19th: drive to Syracuse for Dinosaur BBQ (no Chiefs home game that day)
                      20th: drive to Washington, catch Mets @ Nats
                      21st: drive to NY, do New York stuff
                      23rd: Dodgers @ Mets and O's at Yankees
                      24th: drive to Pittsburgh, catch Nats @ Pirates
                      25th: drive to Scranton, catch TOL @ SCR 7:05
                      26th: drive home

The schedules really work well here. Drive down on a Monday, drive back on a Sunday. 7/23 is the only day the Mets and Yankees are both home all year. Is it reasonable to get from one stadium to the other in ~3h? I would miss the O's and while I love Oriole Park, I have been there twice.

The other desirable option would be to see Blue Jays @ Yankees 8/7-8/9 (probably the last game or 2) then Rockies @ Mets on 8/10. Pirates and Nats are home earlier in the week so I could start in Pittsburgh then go to Washington. O's on the road again.

I may have just planned my summer trip!

Comment

"7/23 is the only day the Mets and Yankees are both home all year. Is it reasonable to get from one stadium to the other in ~3h?"

yes, especially if not by car (and even then, the city isn't THAT big. rush hour would suck, lol)

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Among the options you listed, the Pit/Cle/Cin/Det trip is the one I might pick. Sounds like you're somewhere in or near Ontario, so driving the entire trip sounds feasible. PNC Park is absolutely gorgeous and the other stadiums are nice too. If you're like me and hate to pay to park, you can park for free all 4 places if you dont mind walking a mile or so.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
                            Among the options you listed, the Pit/Cle/Cin/Det trip is the one I might pick. Sounds like you're somewhere in or near Ontario, so driving the entire trip sounds feasible. PNC Park is absolutely gorgeous and the other stadiums are nice too. If you're like me and hate to pay to park, you can park for free all 4 places if you dont mind walking a mile or so.
                            It's possible to park for free at Mets or Yanks, too, if you know where you're going - and it's less than a mile away and safe. Probably.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

I'm in Ottawa, so yes, I would drive. I'd drive to Toronto the first day and Windsor the second. And yes, I prefer to park for free if I can. I usually try to find a hotel within walking distance of the stadium.

If I do the NY trip I would probably just rely on the subway.

Comment

Working...
                              X