Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I miss being an audiophile

Indulge me for a minute

In my early twenties to early thirties I was a music snob (kind of like the high fidelity movie guy). I had the cheapest stereo that one could buy at the exclusive store
    NAD equipment with Bowers and Wilkins speakers. I couldnt afford the crazy expensive so I bought the models of the little brothers. I actually still have it but with Klipsch speakers (my wife killed those BandW speakers listening to music too loud)
    In my early 40s I worked professionally as an audio/video engineer designing conference rooms - tv studios - and fire safety systems
    Since my late teens I have always kept up with indie type music and still do today
    But it all sounds like compressed files to me - highs and lows sound stripped away from FM and Sirius radio in the car or even decent computer speakers. I do think that the recorded quality of MP3s is garbage
    I really want to grab a great CD and just go into the audiophile store and listen to some great B and W speakers again - and see if at 52 I can still hear that beauty

What CDs have exceptional recorded clarity and mixed quality that I might like in rock/indie music to test out?
    Last edited by swampdragon; 10-08-2014, 08:42 PM.

Your 52. If your like me, your hearing is shot anyway you listen to the music.

I blame the 1970's hard rock I listened to (much too loud) for the hearing issues.

Comment

Back in the day, that was what Chip Davis was hired to do. He made sample tracks for audio stores. All of his Mannheim Steamroller music on vinyl is audiophile grade. Van Morrison also comes to mind. digital has dumbed down analog.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Have you read Neil Young's autobio yet? He's another audiophile ... I think you'd get a kick out of it. I think his POMO player is out, or coming out soon.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          Have you read Neil Young's autobio yet? He's another audiophile ... I think you'd get a kick out of it. I think his POMO player is out, or coming out soon.
          My roommate in college had many "dates" after he played Neil Young's music on his guitar at coffeehouse - so yes I am big follower of Youngs

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/20...uly-hear-music

Comment

Yeah, I don't know if it is age or not Swamp. I am also 52, and always bought great gear. I still have some in use, but I can not for the life of me tell the difference between a CD and MP3 recorded at the highest bitrate. I have Dark Side of the Moon is SACD format, and honestly, I really can't say that I can tell the difference versus the original. Maybe it is my old ears.

Comment

See if you can track down Norah Jones "Come Away With Me" on SACD. An audiophile shop ought to have a player capable of reading SACDs, and this cd is awesome.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

My hearing is shot, audiophilia is wasted on me.
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

my wife worked at Velodyne, a subwoofer company, for a while. I was pretty sad when we finally blew out that subwoofer that we got for 90% off.
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                    My hearing is shot, audiophilia is wasted on me.
                    Autophilia, on the other hand...
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                      Autophilia, on the other hand...
                      Tell Rosie Palmer "Hi."

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I blame the 1970's hard rock I listened to (much too loud) for the hearing issues.
                        ^this.

too many loud rock concerts, and too much music played really loud on headphones (real cover-the-ear ones) or on the rare occasion that i could, on my klipsch speakers (KG4s - as much as i could afford in '87 when i bought them).
                        "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Didn't your parents warn you?

And stop running with the scissors.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                            Didn't your parents warn you?

And stop running with the scissors.
                            and stop going into the bathroom and locking the door. you'll go blind.
                            "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Working...
                            X