What would be fair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would be fair?

About two years ago 9 libraries (out of 20) in my Library System individually paid for a software program that runs the computer and printing services for their library. It also tabulates statistics for computer usage, and these stats are used in a funding formula which determines funding levels for each library. So it is important to get accurate statistics.

Now the other 11 libraries are getting the same software so all of the libraries are on the same playing field when it comes to the computer usage stats. But the System is paying half of the cost of the software program for these 11 libraries.

Should the System reimburse (half of the cost) those libraries that had already paid for the software two years ago?

Thoughts?

Thanks.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

While it would be nice for them to do that, it isn't going to happen. That would be like buying a pair of pants in April and seeing they are on sale this week and expecting the store to give you back the difference.

Sometimes being an early adopter is great, other times you lose out.

I would go back to the Library System with this argument, if it would help. Tell them, "Hey, the nine libraries who purchased this before were the innovators for this system. You've seen the benefit of it for all of us. We have paid full price, any chance you'll reimburse us? If not, you are telling us not to be innovators, as we will wait for someone else to show the merits of something and have the benefit of you paying for it in the future. You are creating a disincentive to innovation."

I doubt it will work, but at least when the next toy comes along, you can say, "We'll use it, but you're paying for part of it now or later."
    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Thanks Corn.

But what do you think is the right thing to do? Reimburse or not? If the decision was yours to make?

What I feel the System should say is this: "We are using this software as the basis for statistical measures that will be used for the funding formula. If you do not use this software, you will get a ZERO in the usage category thereby affecting your funding".
      Last edited by Mithrandir; 10-07-2014, 10:02 AM.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

If the libraries are all in the same system, then isn't it all part of the same pool of money? I guess I don't understand....the whole thing.
        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

I'd say you get nothing for the software, but any library that doesn't use it gets nothing for usage funds
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

You piloted a program at your own expense that was eventually adopted system wide. There's no reason at all why the early adopters should be reimbursed. It's like the '90s-- you bought a cell phone and used it to gain an advantage in your business, your company saw that and decided to get everyone a cellphone. They have no obligation to pay you for your previous usage.
            "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

I'm not one of the early adopters (you just assumed I was and I didn't state that on purpose). I wasn't the director at that time. I will be getting re-imbursed, but feel the early adopters should get something.

To me it's not about an obligation, it's about having everyone get a fair share of System money.
              Last edited by Mithrandir; 10-07-2014, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                If the libraries are all in the same system, then isn't it all part of the same pool of money? I guess I don't understand....the whole thing.
                The System gets money from the State and County governments to run the System and to spend on services to the member libraries. If they reimburse certain libraries then the other libraries are not getting a share of that reimbursement money. I fell the all libraries should benefit equally when the System spends money and this is not the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                  I'm not one of the early adopters (you just assumed I was and I didn't state that on purpose). I will be getting re-imbursed, but feel the early adopters should get something.

To me it's not about an obligation, it's about having everyone get a fair share of System money.
                  IMO to be eligible for centralized funding ("System money"), there should be a request process as opposed to a retroactive "reward". Yes you want to encourage innovation, but it has be to somewhat managed (what if other branches/libraries had gone out & spent money concurrently on competing products? yes it's within their rights to do so, but if there is an expectation that centralized money could be available then it can't be totally at their discretion)
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                    IMO to be eligible for centralized funding ("System money"), there should be a request process as opposed to a retroactive "reward". Yes you want to encourage innovation, but it has be to somewhat managed (what if other branches/libraries had gone out & spent money concurrently on competing products? yes it's within their rights to do so, but if there is an expectation that centralized money could be available then it can't be totally at their discretion)
                    Our System money is not available for individual libraries. The System money has always been spent on goods and services that benefit ALL libraries equally. Examples would be paying for an online database, paying for intra-library delivery service, e-book platform, etc.

In all of the years have been in this System i cannot recall the System paying for something that only certain libraries would benefit from.

Comment

The System would be a good Marvel villain.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                        Should the System reimburse (half of the cost) those libraries that had already paid for the software two years ago?
                        It can't hurt to ask. Something like:

Will the 9 libraries that purchased this software independently two years ago receive any reimbursement?

If not, you paid for 2 years of use. Hopefully you benefited.

I don't think the system *should* reimburse you, as others have reasoned.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                        Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                        Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                          It can't hurt to ask. Something like:

Will the 9 libraries that purchased this software independently two years ago receive any reimbursement?

If not, you paid for 2 years of use. Hopefully you benefited.

I don't think the system *should* reimburse you, as others have reasoned.
                          You didn't read all of my posts. My library would benefit. And something like this has never occurred before.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                            You piloted a program at your own expense that was eventually adopted system wide. There's no reason at all why the early adopters should be reimbursed. It's like the '90s-- you bought a cell phone and used it to gain an advantage in your business, your company saw that and decided to get everyone a cellphone. They have no obligation to pay you for your previous usage.
                            Whoever ran the pilot, Bob's right on here. They took a risk, were rewarded with good performance, and got two extra years of use from the program.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                              Whoever ran the pilot, Bob's right on here. They took a risk, were rewarded with good performance, and got two extra years of use from the program.
                              It wasn't a pilot program. Every library was offered the chance to get the program at that time as part of a group discount that had nothing to do with the System. Nine chose to get it at the time because they wanted it.

Comment

Working...
                              X