It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    I watched Magnificent Seven this week and was somewhat disappointed. It could have been a much better film if they'd have incorporated more of the background of the Seven. The acting was good and the cinimatics beautiful, however as is, it was just a tic above a formulaic action western and since I expected more with the pre release promotions, it left me somewhat flat.
    Rats! I was hoping it to be very good to great. I only saw one short preview that had my hopes up.

Comment

• I just watched "Bone Tomahawk" which I enjoyed very much, they made it for under $2M, yet it is full of real actors including Kurt Russell
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
        I just watched "Bone Tomahawk" which I enjoyed very much, they made it for under $2M, yet it is full of real actors including Kurt Russell
        From 2/12/16:
        Originally posted by revo
        Anyone see Bone Tomahawk? I think it went straight to video, and while it had a good cast (Kurt Russell, Matthew Fox, Patrick Wilson, etc), it was sort of low budget. Still, it was a very entertaining western and it had one of the most vomit-inducing scenes I could remember seeing in a non-horror flick. I'd recommend it if you're a fan of westerns.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
          From 2/12/16:
          4 thumbs up I guess!
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
            4 thumbs up I guess!
            4 scalps up!

Comment

• The Nice Guys - if a movie is time-shifted to another era only because modern smartphone technology would decimate the plot, you damn better get the minor details of that time down pat! The Nice Guys takes place in the autumn of 1977, but many of the background items were done very sloppily -- cars from wrong years, music and movies that came out years later, news stories that happened years earlier. Screenwriters have the interweb to check it instantly -- so how does this kind of stuff fall through the cracks? Sloppy sloppy!

Comment

The Nice Guys - if a movie is time-shifted to another era only because modern smartphone technology would decimate the plot, you damn better get the minor details of that time down pat! The Nice Guys takes place in the autumn of 1977, but many of the background items were done very sloppily -- cars from wrong years, music and movies that came out years later, news stories that happened years earlier. Screenwriters have the interweb to check it instantly -- so how does this kind of stuff fall through the cracks? Sloppy sloppy!
                Someone is showing their age!

I really enjoyed this movie, though the last 30 minutes were a bit boring.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                  Someone is showing their age!

I really enjoyed this movie, though the last 30 minutes were a bit boring.
                  I was only 7 that year, but doesn't everybody know "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)" came out in 1979? Or "September" in late 1978? Or "London Calling" in 1979? Or Jaws 2 in 1978? Or that Blondie wasn't a mainstream thing for another year? Or that the gas crisis was in 1973 (or perhaps shortly in 1979)? Many, many other inconsistencies too regarding other minor stuff.

Comment

I was only 7 that year, but doesn't everybody know "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)" came out in 1979? Or "September" in late 1978? Or "London Calling" in 1979? Or Jaws 2 in 1978? Or that Blondie wasn't a mainstream thing for another year? Or that the gas crisis was in 1973 (or perhaps shortly in 1979)? Many, many other inconsistencies too regarding other minor stuff.
                    That's typically the kind of thing that would annoy me. But apart from the fact it was set in the 70's, I guess I didn't really notice any dates or stuff like that.

Comment

I was 11 in 77, and the only 2 of those I could have dated for sure right now would have been London Calling and the gas crisis. I would have put most Blondie songs later than 77, certainly anything off Parallal Lines, thinking that came out in 1980 (really 1978 when I checked)

Comment

• We went to see The Accountant last night. I wanted to see it based on the recent trailer I had seen. I did not look at any reviews before hand. Not being much of an Affleck fan I was curious to see how it would really play out from the trailer.

I have to say I had a lot of fun with this movie. It won't win any academy awards but well worth it for me.

I was surprised to read mediocre reviews. What do the critics expect from this kind of movie. Just because the hero doesn't wear a cape doesn't mean we have stay in bounds of reality. The acting was great, plot has some nice twists to it. I thought they handled the subject of autism very well.

I am curious to see what any of you will think of it should you decide to see it.

Up next; Jack Reacher ( I bet the critics are going to love that one...not).

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          We went to see The Accountant last night. I wanted to see it based on the recent trailer I had seen. I did not look at any reviews before hand. Not being much of an Affleck fan I was curious to see how it would really play out from the trailer.

I have to say I had a lot of fun with this movie. It won't win any academy awards but well worth it for me.

I was surprised to read mediocre reviews. What do the critics expect from this kind of movie. Just because the hero doesn't wear a cape doesn't mean we have stay in bounds of reality. The acting was great, plot has some nice twists to it. I thought they handled the subject of autism very well.

I am curious to see what any of you will think of it should you decide to see it.

Up next; Jack Reacher ( I bet the critics are going to love that one...not).
                          Just saw it today.. Really liked it too.

Hacksaw Ridge is my next flick, looks pretty good in the trailers.
                          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Arrival was pretty thought provoking. A bit slow, but it works.
                            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Saw DaVinci Code III. It looked like a movie put together just to get people in the theater. Surprised Hanks signed on for this but hopefully it is the last of the series. I liked the first one and the 2nd one was ok but this one needed lots of boobs to make it worthwhile.

Comment

• Originally posted by dslaw View Post
                                Saw DaVinci Code III. It looked like a movie put together just to get people in the theater. Surprised Hanks signed on for this but hopefully it is the last of the series. I liked the first one and the 2nd one was ok but this one needed lots of boobs to make it worthwhile.
                                Saw it too, wasn't impressed.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X