It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
    14. Sahara - original version from about 1943 (I started to watch the recent remake and found it pretty unwatchable)
    15. The Four Feathers - original version from about 1943 (I havent seen the recent remake - I'm reading the book now)
    Most telling entry into how old your movie list is, is that the "recent" remake of Four Feathers is now 12 years old.

The newer Sahara is an adaptation of a Clive Cussler book that was written in 1992, so probably isn't a remake of the 1943 movie.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Mrs Gregg and I went to see the silly Fast and Furious 7 on the Giant 70 by 50 foot screen. We both enjoyed it for what it was. It was over the top even by it's own standards. Still a great ride!

We were particularly impressed with the way they handled the Paul Walker tragedy.

Comment

• Saw a couple this weekend:

Unbroken -- was really looking forward to this one, but was left pretty disappointed. I had started to read the book a few years back, but did not get far; when the movie was over, I asked myself what really made his story different than any other POW's story, besides the fact he was an Olympian. That's when I started to read reviews and saw much of his post-war story, which made the book what it was, was left out. Nice job, Angelina! And who knew WWII bomber crews were made up entirely of Abercrombie & Fitch models? I'd give it a C-.

The Theory of Everything -- Eddie Redmayne was Stephen Hawking and was fully deserving of the Best Actor Oscar. And while Hawking trampled the odds by surviving as long as he has with ALS, the story was really pretty boring. Hey, let's write a book! But did he just write it off the top of his head? That's what the movie made it seem. And who knew he was a cad? I'd give it a solid C.

Comment

• Furious 7 - I'm not sure the English language is properly equipped to fully describe how amazing this movie is. I'd need to be a poet or something. The acting, the scripting, the dialogue ... mind.blown. The romance between Vin Diesel and Michelle Rodriguez ... the Bogart and Bacall of our times ... I was in tears. Think I'm going to have to rethink my Top 20 list.

What is it called when The Rock is the best thing about a movie?

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
            Furious 7 - I'm not sure the English language is properly equipped to fully describe how amazing this movie is. I'd need to be a poet or something. The acting, the scripting, the dialogue ... mind.blown. The romance between Vin Diesel and Michelle Rodriguez ... the Bogart and Bacall of our times ... I was in tears. Think I'm going to have to rethink my Top 20 list.

$1Bn gross internationally?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
              $1Bn gross internationally?
              That works.

I thought at first, it was going to be one of those "so bad it's good" movies ... but sadly the normal Furious cast took over from The Rock and Jason Statham, and none of these guys can act for shit. It literally put me to sleep.

There was this one dude in the cinema who kept applauding every time Michelle Rodriguez was on screen with Vin Diesel. I thought at first he was being ironic. But no. He even woke me up once. I was actually dreaming when this dude rudely woke me.

Being serious for minute, I don't think they knew what kind of movie they were making. One minute it wanted to be a serious action movie, then the next it was pure farce. Then the Rock turns up at the end, and it's now a comedy action movie. The plot was like an Austin Powers movie.

On the plus side, I can't think of a movie with more gratuitous shots of females asses in skimpy bikinis. Best part of the movie.

Comment

Furious 7 - I'm not sure the English language is properly equipped to fully describe how amazing this movie is. I'd need to be a poet or something. The acting, the scripting, the dialogue ... mind.blown. The romance between Vin Diesel and Michelle Rodriguez ... the Bogart and Bacall of our times ... I was in tears. Think I'm going to have to rethink my Top 20 list.

Ha, what were you expecting? All of them are action farce.

Comment

snob.

Comment

On the plus side, I can't think of a movie with more gratuitous shots of females asses in skimpy bikinis. Best part of the movie.
                    Someone's got to say it -- it's grossing as much as it has thanks to Paul Walker's death. Hot asses in bikinis help as well, but no one knew they were showing up. It's really a shame that such a crappy movie will now be considered among the all-time highest grossing flicks.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                      Someone's got to say it -- it's grossing as much as it has thanks to Paul Walker's death. Hot asses in bikinis help as well, but no one knew they were showing up. It's really a shame that such a crappy movie will now be considered among the all-time highest grossing flicks.
                      Yeah I found myself trying to see how they were splicing footage of Paul Walker into the scenes. They did a pretty decent job at that to be fair.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                        snob.
                        No caps, who do you think you are, nullnor?

Comment

• saw the Avengers: Age of Ultron yesterday.....maybe I'm just burnt out on Marvell, but I was kind of "meh". I also felt the same way about Guardians of the Galaxy, so I might not be the best guy to judge.

That being said, I finally watched "Gone Girl" last night, and enjoyed it much more than the Avengers, plot holes aside....
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• the stan lee scene in the avengers was probably his best one.

Comment

[B] I was really looking forward to the upcoming Mad Max remake ... Tom Hardy + Mad Max ... surely a match made it heaven? That was the first time I've seen the Mad Max trailer, and I just sank in my seat. It looks like an absurd caricature of the original. I was hoping for a reimagining of the series like we've seen with other series, but they seem to have taken all the cheese from 80's action movies, and multiplied it by 10. Remember in the 80's when all the movie villains wore leather jackets, had broadway style punk rock haircuts, ripped jeans, maybe some S&M paraphernalia? ... well that's the new Mad Max x10.
                              with 75 reviews in, rotten tomatoes is at 99% fresh for Mad Max.
                              Years after the collapse of civilization, the tyrannical Immortan Joe enslaves apocalypse survivors inside the desert fortress the Citadel. When the warrior Imperator Furiosa (Charlize Theron) leads the despot's five wives in a daring escape, she forges an alliance with Max Rockatansky (Tom Hardy), a loner and former captive. Fortified in the massive, armored truck the War Rig, they try to outrun the ruthless warlord and his henchmen in a deadly high-speed chase through the Wasteland.

the one negative is from a dude in the UK though... so maybe you all are just snobs.
                              Last edited by heyelander; 05-13-2015, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                                the stan lee scene in the avengers was probably his best one.
                                agreed.

even funnier was my wife didn't know who he is. as that scene was playing she leaned over to me and whispered: "is that hugh hefner?" had to refrain from bursting out laughing in the theater

agree with FB that the movie was pretty meh. my kids really enjoyed it though.
                                "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Working...
                                X