No announcement yet.

It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dang, American Sniper sure has divided its viewers. I've heard quite a few people say they love it since it kept them on the edge of their seat but it sounds like they were simply getting caught up in the action without thinking too much.

Each year I try to delve into at least some of the foreign film nominees and luckily one of them is already on Netflix:

Ida - it's a B&W movie about a Polish orphan at a convent who's about to become a real nun when her nun leader tells her to go find out about her parents. It's boring, don't bother (seems like the eastern European ones usually are).

Comment

• My wife and I watched Predestination last night. I think we might have stumbled on to Nully's favorite or soon to be favorite movie.

I can't really tell you anything other than it deals with time travel and the predestination paradox. I thought it was a really entertaining movie. Ethan Hawk does a great job but Sarah Snook steals the show. We went in really knowing nothing about the movie. While I thought the beginning was interesting it started to bog down a bit for me, but that quickly changed. Big payoff for just a few minutes of ...well I can't really say without spoiling it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        My wife and I watched Predestination last night. I think we might have stumbled on to Nully's favorite or soon to be favorite movie.

I can't really tell you anything other than it deals with time travel and the predestination paradox. I thought it was a really entertaining movie. Ethan Hawk does a great job but Sarah Snook steals the show. We went in really knowing nothing about the movie. While I thought the beginning was interesting it started to bog down a bit for me, but that quickly changed. Big payoff for just a few minutes of ...well I can't really say without spoiling it.
        We just watched it again to see if we could see some extra clues we missed the first time. It was still fun.

Sarah Snook should be up for an academy award for this performance. I much preferred her performance than Rosamund Pike's in Gone Girl (still very good).

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          Sarah Snook steals the show.
          If they knew she stole it, it shouldn't take the authorities to wrap up this investigation.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
            Nightcrawler - Brilliant movie.

[/review]
            Hell ya.

I have been checking out this thread watching flicks and this one was awesome. Thanks JA24.

I will watch this one again. Likely a few more times after that.

Is the actor that Leboeuf (sp) guy? He was really quite good in the lead role. But the story - script - screenplay - - whatever, really kept my attention. Even if it took me two nights to watch it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Riff Raff View Post
              Hell ya.

I have been checking out this thread watching flicks and this one was awesome. Thanks JA24.

I will watch this one again. Likely a few more times after that.

Is the actor that Leboeuf (sp) guy? He was really quite good in the lead role. But the story - script - screenplay - - whatever, really kept my attention. Even if it took me two nights to watch it.
              Shia LeBoeuf ... hell no. That's Jake Gyllenhaal.

The difference being that Shia Leboeuf sucks ass, whereas Jake Gyllenhaal is the dog's bollocks.

I saw it twice in the cinema. One of the best of 2014.

Comment

• Did you see The Drop Johnny? I missed it somehow and am waiting for it to show in Netflix.
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Saw "Theory of Everything" today. Very well done. I thought it was going to focus on his scientific accomplishments and projects but it was a very human drama story about his life. The actor playing Hawking ( I forget his name) really looked and acted like him. I dont know if it's up for any awards but I would be surprised if it wasnt.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                    Saw "Theory of Everything" today. Very well done. I thought it was going to focus on his scientific accomplishments and projects but it was a very human drama story about his life. The actor playing Hawking ( I forget his name) really looked and acted like him. I dont know if it's up for any awards but I would be surprised if it wasnt.
                    He won the BAFTA (British Oscars) last night, and is a front runner for the Best Actor Oscar ... but then I read this today

Could Eddie Redmayne's Chances of an Oscar be "Norbitted"?

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                      Did you see The Drop Johnny? I missed it somehow and am waiting for it to show in Netflix.
                      Yeah, really liked it. Was a little confused in the end about how all the pieces fell into place. But it was definitely a good movie. Tom Hardy is one of my favorite actors at the moment.

Have you seen Locke (also with Tom Hardy)? Check that out as well if you get a chance.
                      Last edited by johnnya24; 02-10-2015, 09:24 PM.

Comment

• watched Her last night. OK, but not as good as i expected given some of the hype. i found it a bit predictable. good performances from joaquin phoenix and amy adams though (and scarlett johansson in voice only).
                        "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                          Dang, American Sniper sure has divided its viewers. I've heard quite a few people say they love it since it kept them on the edge of their seat but it sounds like they were simply getting caught up in the action without thinking too much.
                          Finally got around to seeing this last night and you can chalk me up as one of those who got caught up in the action and actually really liked it. I'm not a political guy and I go into biopics assuming that they'll get the Hollywood treatment so to me this was pretty much a war movie with the main character being based on a real guy. I didn't see the movie as an attempt to rationalize the Iraq War, just the story of one man who wanted to serve his country the best way he could - which was to protect his fellow soldiers.

Comment

• A couple of movies I completely missed on initial release:

John Wick - Extremely violent and relentless in its kill count. It's more like an FPS computer game with constant baddies running into bullets. But because they keep things simple, it kinda works.

Blue Ruin - Homeless vagrant returns to his home town to avenge the murder of his parents. Another revenge tail, but this time of the awkward indie variety. Another simple well executed story.

Both decent enough movies, and worth a watch.

Comment

• i watched John Wick with my wife and older son last saturday. some parts were good, but i really hated the part where he invaded the bar. maybe it's a spoiler, but i think anybody that's even seen the trailer has seen parts of this. basically the russians shoot like storm troopers. i'd give it 1 thumb up.
                              "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                                i watched John Wick with my wife and older son last saturday. some parts were good, but i really hated the part where he invaded the bar. maybe it's a spoiler, but i think anybody that's even seen the trailer has seen parts of this. basically the russians shoot like storm troopers. i'd give it 1 thumb up.
                                If you don't like stormtrooper shooting, then you won't like "Kingsman", which I thought was excellent mind candy
                                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                                X