It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
    Saw the new X-Men and thought it was the best one I've seen. I haven't seen all of them.....saw the first three and the one where they're kids....but this one was quite good.
    yep, well worth seeing....

I caught "Monuments Men" and "Out of the Furnace" on my flight back from Reston yesterday. Monuments Men is the perfect airplane movie, but I liked "Out of the Furnace" a lot better....really well acted by everyone in it.
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
      yep, well worth seeing....

I caught "Monuments Men" and "Out of the Furnace" on my flight back from Reston yesterday. Monuments Men is the perfect airplane movie, but I liked "Out of the Furnace" a lot better....really well acted by everyone in it.
      Ah, reston... home for the formative years of both heye and revo.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes last night... impressive. Great story, really impressive use of effects. A little bit preachy, but that's to be expected - you know going in that it's a story about humanity getting what's coming. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
          saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes last night... impressive. Great story, really impressive use of effects. A little bit preachy, but that's to be expected - you know going in that it's a story about humanity getting what's coming. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
          I've heard good things. Quite enjoyed the first part also. Will hopefully find some time to see it next week.

Comment

• saw edge of tomorrow last week. Solid, but it played just like Ground Hog day with aliens. I didn't think it really added anything new to the concept.
            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• i thought Edge of Tomorrow was great right up until the ending, which ruined it for me.
              "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Thought Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was pretty good. The first reboot in the series was well above the typical blockbuster standard also.

Decent year for quality blockbuster type movies so far ... though there are a few I have no interest in.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                  Thought Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was pretty good. The first reboot in the series was well above the typical blockbuster standard also.

Decent year for quality blockbuster type movies so far ... though there are a few I have no interest in.
                  Dana Gould (standup comedian, Simpsons writer) on why he's obsessed with the original "Planet of the Apes":
                  "It's Moses dressed as Tarzan being chased by King Kong dressed as Fonzi"
                  people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Dont know if any of you are anime fans, but last night I watched an anime movie called First Squad that I found fascinating. It's a Russian anime, made in collaboration w some Japanese, subbed in English. It is set during WWII and features a young female heroine leading a special group of the Russian Intelligence to fight the Germans, in particular a group of resurrected dead soldiers from a previous war. It references several historical events, notably the 1242 "Battle on the Ice" of Alexander Nevsky fame. It also refers to a secret society called the "Ahnenerbe", which was founded by Heinrich Himmler for the purpose of researching the archaeological and cultural history of the Aryan race. I'd never heard of this society before. It is interpersed w commentary of real people, including WWII veterans, historians and psychotherapists. Never seen an anime done in this way. The full movie is on YT and is free. Very interesting!

Comment

• I am sure a few of you saw this and I highly recommend The Battered Bastards of Baseball streaming on Netflix.

The Battered Bastards of Baseball is a 2014 documentary film about the Portland Mavericks, a defunct Minor League Baseball team which operated from 1973 through 1977. Owned by actor Bing Russell, the Mavericks were independent of Major League Baseball (MLB) teams, despite competing in a league of teams with MLB affiliates. The film was directed by Chapman Way and Maclain Way, grandsons of Russell.

Comment

• Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
                        I am sure a few of you saw this and I highly recommend The Battered Bastards of Baseball streaming on Netflix.

The Battered Bastards of Baseball is a 2014 documentary film about the Portland Mavericks, a defunct Minor League Baseball team which operated from 1973 through 1977. Owned by actor Bing Russell, the Mavericks were independent of Major League Baseball (MLB) teams, despite competing in a league of teams with MLB affiliates. The film was directed by Chapman Way and Maclain Way, grandsons of Russell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bat...ds_of_Baseball
                        I've noticed that a few times while (endlessly) surfing through Netflix looking for something to watch. I'll have to give it a look.

Comment

• Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
                          I am sure a few of you saw this and I highly recommend The Battered Bastards of Baseball streaming on Netflix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bat...ds_of_Baseball
                          I found out about this movie a while back and I figure that I'll watch it eventually. How much does Netflix charge for this?

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                            I found out about this movie a while back and I figure that I'll watch it eventually. How much does Netflix charge for this?
                            It is part of the streaming package, so I just watched via my PS3.

Comment

• I watched Kings of Summer a few weeks ago and then again with my wife over the weekend. Certified wife friendly.

Truly enjoyed this movie about coming of age adolescents who tire of their parents and live in the woods for a number of weeks one summer. Those who watch it will likely go back in time to those memories of their youth and the challenges young men face - friendships, parents, independence, young love, adventure.

Comment

• Saw Need for Speed last night. Omigod, what a dumb movie. There's really nothing worse when a big budget flick needs you to suspend virtually all reality to make it work. Let's see:
                                - it doesn't seem as if anyone works (well, except for one guy who, upon being re-recruited to the team, strips naked in his office and walks out)
                                - the cops are either non-existent or rubes
                                - things such as traffic cameras don't exist in this world
                                - apparently neither do cell phones, because no innocent bystander calls the police
                                - an incredibly successful race car driver and business owner puts everything on the line to win an illegal street race
                                - the creator of said street race seems to be able to tap in to the "internet" (which the police seem to have never heard of) and find these street cameras that the police can't seem to

I still managed to watch the whole movie (and my 7-year old said he can't wait for the next one), so what do I know.

Comment

Working...
                                X