No announcement yet.

It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• agree with johnny on Hobbit 2. i'm a huge tolkein fan, and liked the LOTR movies (well, the extended versions), but the two hobbit movies have been pretty bad. the actual book is so short they could have probably fit most of it into a single movie - certainly an extended version. instead they've added a bunch of crap and stretched it out so much that it feels like "butter scraped over too much bread." sigh.
    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
      Seems like there's a lot of possibly good movies out right now, we'll probably only get to see 1 of them, so any feedback would be appreciated. I had Hobbit 2 on this list but I thought the first one was awful and it sounds like the 2nd one is just as bad.

Anchorman 2 - preview clips have been mixed
      American Hustle - great cast but sounds like the script is too sterile
      Nebraska - Alexander Payne hasn't penned a bad movie yet, and he went to my high school
      Her - Spike Jonze wrote & directed, and I think Joaquin Phoenix is extremely underrated
      Wolf of Wall St - Scorcese and DiCaprio and the sociopathy of Wall St, could be great or awful
      Inside Llewyn Davis - Coen Brothers are usually excellent and this one is getting great reviews
      I'll see all of these except Anchorman 2, but I'll wait to see them at home
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
        agree with johnny on Hobbit 2. i'm a huge tolkein fan, and liked the LOTR movies (well, the extended versions), but the two hobbit movies have been pretty bad. the actual book is so short they could have probably fit most of it into a single movie - certainly an extended version. instead they've added a bunch of crap and stretched it out so much that it feels like "butter scraped over too much bread." sigh.
        Even the basics like the SFX are horrible and fake looking. Temple Run has a better plot line and better special effects.

Comment

• The Place Beyond The Pines - I'm not sure if it's a good movie, a great movie, or a good movie that could have been a great movie. For a start it's too long (2 1/2 hours). Maybe it wasn't so much the length that was the problem, as the structure. I didn't realize it was that long, and as I felt the movie was coming to a climax, it started up again ... which was a little frustrating. In fact there were still 2 parts to come. I probably need to watch it again sometime to really gauge it. The acting and direction are great, and the pace isn't slow ... but there is just too much movie IMO (or they needed to structure it better). It's the kind of exposition that would be better off in mini/cable-series format (but how to you get an A-list cast like this for one those?). To say anything specific about the movie gives it away, so judge for yourself. It worth watching for sure.

Comment

Seems like there's a lot of possibly good movies out right now, we'll probably only get to see 1 of them, so any feedback would be appreciated. I had Hobbit 2 on this list but I thought the first one was awful and it sounds like the 2nd one is just as bad.

Anchorman 2 - preview clips have been mixed
            American Hustle - great cast but sounds like the script is too sterile
            Nebraska - Alexander Payne hasn't penned a bad movie yet, and he went to my high school
            Her - Spike Jonze wrote & directed, and I think Joaquin Phoenix is extremely underrated
            Wolf of Wall St - Scorcese and DiCaprio and the sociopathy of Wall St, could be great or awful
            Inside Llewyn Davis - Coen Brothers are usually excellent and this one is getting great reviews
            Looking forward to all of those. The original Anchorman actually isn't as good as people tend to remember, but the characters and certain sketches are great.

I might have missed my chance to see Nebraska in the cinema. With that in mind, Inside Llewyn Davis is out now, so I better see it this week.

Is Joaquin Phoenix underrated? He has been getting rave reviews for years now. 4 or 5 Oscar nominations, and surely another this year (if Her reviews are to be believed). His performance in The Master should have won him an Oscar. That was spellbinding. Unfortunately Daniel Day Lewis decided to do his thing in a very oscary role (Lincoln).

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
              Is Joaquin Phoenix underrated? He has been getting rave reviews for years now. 4 or 5 Oscar nominations, and surely another this year (if Her reviews are to be believed). His performance in The Master should have won him an Oscar. That was spellbinding. Unfortunately Daniel Day Lewis decided to do his thing in a very oscary role (Lincoln).
              Apparently not. I didn't realize he'd been nominated 4x and I was quite certain (and wrong) that he hadn't been nominated for Walk the Line, because I recall thinking how ridiculous it was that Reese Witherspoon was getting more accolades when he was just as good, if not better.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Apparently not. I didn't realize he'd been nominated 4x and I was quite certain (and wrong) that he hadn't been nominated for Walk the Line, because I recall thinking how ridiculous it was that Reese Witherspoon was getting more accolades when he was just as good, if not better.
                Unheralded might be a better description rather than underrated? Did you see The Master? 2 1/2 hours, but I was totally engrossed the whole time, and glad I saw it on the big screen. The last "long" movie I can say the same thing about was was There Will Be Blood.

Comment

• A movie I saw recently that was elevated because of another masterful actor:

Don Jon - good movie, and made a little better because of a brilliant cameo from Julianne Moore. She is amazing.

Comment

• Evangeline Lilly is one smoking hot elf
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Unheralded might be a better description rather than underrated? Did you see The Master? 2 1/2 hours, but I was totally engrossed the whole time, and glad I saw it on the big screen. The last "long" movie I can say the same thing about was was There Will Be Blood.
                      Yea, probably a better descriptor, and I also saw it in the theater and agree, didn't seem nearly that long.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

The Place Beyond The Pines - I'm not sure if it's a good movie, a great movie, or a good movie that could have been a great movie. For a start it's too long (2 1/2 hours). Maybe it wasn't so much the length that was the problem, as the structure. I didn't realize it was that long, and as I felt the movie was coming to a climax, it started up again ... which was a little frustrating. In fact there were still 2 parts to come. I probably need to watch it again sometime to really gauge it. The acting and direction are great, and the pace isn't slow ... but there is just too much movie IMO (or they needed to structure it better). It's the kind of exposition that would be better off in mini/cable-series format (but how to you get an A-list cast like this for one those?). To say anything specific about the movie gives it away, so judge for yourself. It worth watching for sure.
                        Totally agree. You think the movie's over and it's literally just starting again.

I saw Man of Steel last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it until the last two scenes. In one, Superman and Zod are having an epic bout that takes them all over Metropolis as well as outer space, and somehow -- somehow- Lois Lane manages to see the climax to it by finding and somehow getting to the right building. In a city devastated by these attackers. Within a few minutes. And then she seemingly doesn't recognize him one he puts his glasses on -- a trick that may have been fine for 1950s audiences, but is laughable today.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Totally agree. You think the movie's over and it's literally just starting again.
                          I was thinking about it after I posted that ... it would have made a great trilogy of movies, and for not much extra in production costs.

Spoiler!

Comment

• hated place beyond the pines... hated everyone of the characters. Maybe if it had been three parts and they developed them all better, maybe it's a better movie, but the way it was, hated it.
                            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                              hated place beyond the pines... hated everyone of the characters. Maybe if it had been three parts and they developed them all better, maybe it's a better movie, but the way it was, hated it.
                              So are you saying you didn't like the movie? It's not 100% clear.

Comment

So are you saying you didn't like the movie? It's not 100% clear.
                                eh... not so much.
                                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                                X