It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Last night watched "Darby O'Gill and the Little People"...my family's St. Paddy's Day ritual.

Highly enjoyable movie for the family.
    Yeah, unless you are 5 and that Carriage of Death comes flying on to the screen and almost gives you a Hammer moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      Yeah, unless you are 5 and that Carriage of Death comes flying on to the screen and almost gives you a Hammer moment.
      My 6 year old hides under the blanket for that scene and the banshee..
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        Last night watched "Darby O'Gill and the Little People"...my family's St. Paddy's Day ritual.

Highly enjoyable movie for the family.
        I used to absolutely love that movie, but probably haven't seen it since I was 11 or 12. Don't remember it being scary at all, just a lot of little leprechauns and gold coins.

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
          I used to absolutely love that movie, but probably haven't seen it since I was 11 or 12. Don't remember it being scary at all, just a lot of little leprechauns and gold coins.
          What is scary to a five or six year old may be different than eleven or twelve. All kidding aside you should check it out. Still kind of fun.

Comment

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

The Station Agent...2003

A Netflix recommendation... and I did enjoy it. Minimal dialogue, but Peter Dinklage was excellent in the lead. He plays a train aficionado who's only friend dies, also a train aficionado, but was bequeathed a small piece of land in rural NJ with a train depot on it. He is intent on living a life of solitude, but is befriended by a group of colorful neighbors. One of those character driven movies where you just see a small, but intense, slice of life. A solid 7/10 for me...
              I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
              You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
              "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
              It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
                The Station Agent...2003

A Netflix recommendation... and I did enjoy it. Minimal dialogue, but Peter Dinklage was excellent in the lead. He plays a train aficionado who's only friend dies, also a train aficionado, but was bequeathed a small piece of land in rural NJ with a train depot on it. He is intent on living a life of solitude, but is befriended by a group of colorful neighbors. One of those character driven movies where you just see a small, but intense, slice of life. A solid 7/10 for me...
                That's about the exact same review I would give of that movie. I especially like the talkative yet dim-witted guy he befriends. Apparently that director had a new movie come out in limited release - Win Win - that the critics enjoyed quite a bit; probably see that one when it comes out on DVD.

My previous attempt at a reply got quashed by the internet gods, but the short version is that I saw Death at a Funeral (the original) recently and thought it was really funny. Go rent it if you enjoy British comedies where everything that could go wrong...does.

Comment

As far as the Darby O'Gill clip, not unsurprisingly all I remember was the huge chest of gold and jewels ($5 was a big deal to me back then). Could've sworn there was a younger dude who was integral to the plot though...

Comment

what cha talking about, Sucker Punch opens today!
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Well since we've been feeling that we've been missing out on a phenomenon, we pvr'ed the three Twilight movies over the past few months & watched the first two the past two nights - worthy of mention ... obviously they're formulaic and cater to a certain demographic, but I can certainly see why everyone under 25 thinks they're so great - well done filmmaking, great use of effects, a classic storyline, esp. a classic love story for the girls, and vampires & werewolves for the boys - what more can you want??? ... I'm finding I'm enjoying them a lot more than I expected. Actually my one major complaint - surprisingly little gore ... I keep waiting for the gross-out scenes; and obviously the acting is, well overacting in the extreme, but you know going in what you're getting.

Third movie tonight - if only they could work in a zombie or two ...
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Was it tranagreg that wanted to be called Simone or am I getting my Canadians confused again?
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                          Was it tranagreg that wanted to be called Simone or am I getting my Canadians confused again?
                          there's a remake of Conan the Barbarian coming too.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                            there's a remake of Conan the Barbarian coming too.
                            yeah, i've seen the previews. I think some classics just shouldn't be messed with. Conan was a great mix of decent plot and tons of unintentional humor.
                            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

for the first time in months, I saw movies on Friday & Saturday nights that were both terrific. Both The Social Network and The Next Three Days were very enjoyable and well-made.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                                Well since we've been feeling that we've been missing out on a phenomenon, we pvr'ed the three Twilight movies over the past few months & watched the first two the past two nights - worthy of mention ... obviously they're formulaic and cater to a certain demographic, but I can certainly see why everyone under 25 thinks they're so great - well done filmmaking, great use of effects, a classic storyline, esp. a classic love story for the girls, and vampires & werewolves for the boys - what more can you want??? ... I'm finding I'm enjoying them a lot more than I expected. Actually my one major complaint - surprisingly little gore ... I keep waiting for the gross-out scenes; and obviously the acting is, well overacting in the extreme, but you know going in what you're getting.

Third movie tonight - if only they could work in a zombie or two ...
                                Would you watch either of these again?

Comment

Working...
                                X