No announcement yet.

It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Whistleblower - based on a true story of human trafficking in Bosnia in post-war period (late-90's I think). Pretty harrowing stuff. Rachel Weisz is excellent as usual in the lead role of the whistleblower, and a couple of excellent cameos from Vanessa Redgrave and David Strathairn add weight to the movie. There's no sugar coating here, and it stands up on its own as a thriller. Recommended.

Comment

• Been abusing Netflix all weekend

Drive - watched this again ... even better than the first time. Flawless movie making. The kind f movie that you really want there to be a sequel or prequel or something, but deep down you know it'd be wrong. Great movies always leave you wanting more.

Comment

• I pretty much agree with all three of Johnny's reviews - all three were recommended.

Watched a couple more on the plane ride back:
        Hitchcock - Anthony Hopkins totally loses himself in this role which is always fun to watch. The plot revolves around the trials and tribulations during the making of Psycho while examining his relationship with his wife (and right-hand woman) Alma. Not the most engaging plot, but still an enjoyable movie with lots of great acting.

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - Starts off with a radio broadcast confirming that the world is going to be hit by an asteroid in three weeks followed by a hilarious party scene where Steve Carell's friends are truly taking advantage of this liberating news. From there it focuses on Carell meeting up with Keira Knightley on their journey to find his long-lost love and a plane for her to visit her family. There are plenty of sweet moments and a few laughs, but a few main plot points are far-fetched. Overall a pretty good movie, a bit similar to Safety Not Guaranteed but a notch below.

Comment

• The Lincoln Lawyer - another re-watch. I can't understand how Matthew McConaughey isn't a bigger start than he is. I can only think he starred in some pretty big bombs. This is an excellent if you haven't already seen it. Nice twisty plot that holds together well, and Marisa Tomei. Also, a sequel is in the works ... I'm down with that.

Comment

• hmm, haven't posted in here for awhile:

Finally saw Skyfall. I liked it, very straight-forward, but it did seem a little "un-Bondish" to me. Definitely toned down as far as Bonds typically go. And Javier Bardem doing his best Mr. Wint/Mr. Kidd.

October Sky -- never saw this one, it was excellent, if a little typical of those "my family doesn't believe in me" or "you're stuck in this town forever" type flicks.

Dark Shadows -- blechh. :disgust: I know the TV series took place in the late 1960s/early 1970s, but what was the point of the movie being in 1972?

The Bourne Legacy -- also kind of straightforward, as far as the convoluted Bourne movies usually are. Jeremy Renner held his own. Enjoyable, if kind of forgettable.

End of Watch -- excellent flick, recommended, even if it was somewhat predictable.

Taken 2 -- It's like Taken, except with the '2' at the end!

Here Comes the Boom! -- amusing, if ridiculous. But Salma Hayek is still boobylicious.

The Watch -- ever go to see a movie which you know will be dumb, but then you get a plotline that's so ridiculous, it makes it even dumbed? That's The Watch! So if you can come to grips with this added-on dumbness, perhaps you can still be amused.

Trouble With the Curve -- about a top prospect who, well, dozens of scouts and others can't figure out can't hit a curve ball. Until it's too late.

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
              Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - Starts off with a radio broadcast confirming that the world is going to be hit by an asteroid in three weeks followed by a hilarious party scene where Steve Carell's friends are truly taking advantage of this liberating news. From there it focuses on Carell meeting up with Keira Knightley on their journey to find his long-lost love and a plane for her to visit her family. There are plenty of sweet moments and a few laughs, but a few main plot points are far-fetched. Overall a pretty good movie, a bit similar to Safety Not Guaranteed but a notch below.
              A much better film with a similar theme is Last Night. It was one of my favorites of the '90s.
              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                A much better film with a similar theme is Last Night. It was one of my favorites of the '90s.
                Thanks, I'll have to check that one out.

One thing that really stuck with me from Seeking a Friend... was a song playing during a pivotal scene which I found out later was "The Air That I Breathe" by the Hollies. Turns out it was their last hit although I'd never heard it on the radio before. It also turns out that the songwriters (Albert Hammond and Mike Hazlewood) successfully sued Radiohead because the chord progressions in "Creep" too closely resembles those in
                the song. Listening to it again I can definitely see it in the verses but it didn't jump out to me at first.

Comment

• Brick ... another re-watch. Like a high school noir version of Bugsy Malone. Thought it was OK, but didn't love it. Started to drag about half way, and never really got any better after that.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                    Brick ... another re-watch. Like a high school noir version of Bugsy Malone. Thought it was OK, but didn't love it. Started to drag about half way, and never really got any better after that.
                    Have you seen "The Lookout", same director, I liked Brick but liked "The Lookout" a lot more
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• i saw the great and powerful oz movie. i heard they wanted to get Robert Downey and he turned it down, then Johnny Depp. so the 2nd time i saw it i was trying to imagine them in the role of Oz over James Franco. i can see Robert Downey as Oz. a con man with quick witty comebacks. and you do need a strong presence when your other 3 leading actors are female. on the other hand, part of the message behind the movie was behind every good man is a great woman or 3 of them. Dorothy was bigger than Oz, they were both from Kansas. so im thinking, he got busted by someone from his own neighborhood. even tho i think toto was the one that pulled back the curtain. i do think the story of the wizard of oz contains every answer in life you'll ever need. so the great and powerful oz doesn't try to out due it. but it's not easy either incorporating yourself into another script instead of writing your own movie. and it's short. quick movies are good to watch a 2nd time to see if you missed anything.

another message was lord of the rings like, even the smallest of things can change the course of history. also, it's important to be able to identify with characters in the movie. Franco plays a character that is flawed but wants to be great. which we can identify with. his companions in Oz are also small. the best moment in the movie is in the beginning, in the carnival, with the girl in the audience. because the things you want him to be able to do in kansas are things he is able to do in the land of oz. and you may miss that the first time. i did. and thats really the message of the wizard of oz.

michelle williams is awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                        i saw the great and powerful oz movie.
                        I saw this over the weekend with the fam, and probably due to my low expectations, I enjoyed it quite a bit. If nothing else, it is visually stunning to behold - definitely one to see on the big screen, if you're inclined to see it at all.
                        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                          Have you seen "The Lookout", same director, I liked Brick but liked "The Lookout" a lot more
                          Nope ... I don't think so ... next on my list.

Comment

• I'm pretty sure I saw the lookout... I'm pretty sure I really liked it. I can't remember a single thing about it.
                            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• I did like The Lookout a lot. Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays a kid with no long-term memory who gets duped into helping some no-goods rob the bank he works at. Matthew Goode does a really good job as the ringleader and Isla Fisher is sexy as ever in this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                                I'm pretty sure I saw the lookout... I'm pretty sure I really liked it. I can't remember a single thing about it.
                                driving down a country road looking at fireflies......tying a ribbon around the right bag.......
                                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                                X