Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
    Depression is not memorable.

War movies can be very uplifting. The original Sahara, w Humphrey Bogart, was very uplifting (I saw part of the recent remake and was not impressed). There's lots of bravery and heroism in war and it can be very uplifting. Of course there was bravery in Zero also, but it was portrayed in a routine, cold way. "All is Quiet" was very different in that it was an anti-war movie, which this one definitely was not.

This movie illustrates the great shortcoming of so many modern movies, which is that they try to overwhelm and manipulate you w special effects and graphic "realism". The premise is that more cold-blooded details of violence is more "realistic", therefore "better". It isnt; it's worse. Knowing what to leave out, what to leave to the imagination is part of good film-making. Modern filmmakers generally dont seem to do that. Instead they appeal to people's thirst for violence, ostensibly for commercial reasons. Which is why I generally dont like modern movies. Perhaps I'm missing some "message" that this filmmaker was trying to get across. The main message I got was that for all the talk about the evils of torture and inhumane treatment, our military uses it about as much as anyone else.
    Actually, depression IS quite memorable. Studies have been conducted that the effects of a "sad" movie last far longer than a "happy" movie. It has something with the way our brain regulates the chemicals that are released when viewing a sad movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
      It's tough to pick movies that you think people will show up to watch. Since this is the first one I went with a timeless classic. Gonna go with "North by Northwest next month. The library is also doing a family movie night every other week geared more towards kids.
      You should put West Side Story on the docket. I was surprised to see that the screening of WSS last year in my town was the only one that has ever sold out the 192 seat auditorium.

Comment

• Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
        Actually, depression IS quite memorable. Studies have been conducted that the effects of a "sad" movie last far longer than a "happy" movie. It has something with the way our brain regulates the chemicals that are released when viewing a sad movie.
        Really?!

Blazing Saddles vs. Love Story

Caddy Shack vs Hotel Rwanda

Rocky vs. American Beauty

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          My library is showing Casablanca tonight. Arguably the best movie ever!

Just starting to have "movie night" at the library so I hope a few people show up!
          I hope it is a great success!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            Really?!

Blazing Saddles vs. Love Story

Caddy Shack vs Hotel Rwanda

Rocky vs. American Beauty
            Schindler's List vs Deuce Bigelow, Male Gigolo

Requiem for a Dream vs Norbit

Se7en vs Corky Romano

I think we need to bring the movies a bit closer together in terms of quality.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen View Post
              this made me LOL ... I was thinking the same thing about the pairings, but those two together - priceless.
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Se7en vs Corky Romano

didn't both American Beauty and Hotel Rwanda win best picture oscars?
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                  didn't both American Beauty and Hotel Rwanda win best picture oscars?
                  American Beauty did. I'm still a bit bitter that the vastly superior "The Insider" didn't win though. Hotel Rwanda was nominated for Best Actor, Supporting Actress and Original Screenplay, but wasn't given a Best Picture nom.

I guess "quality" wasn't really the right word. He listed some of the most adored films in their perspective genres opposite films that were very well received by critics but aren't really films that people feel passionately about.

Comment

American Beauty did. I'm still a bit bitter that the vastly superior "The Insider" didn't win though. Hotel Rwanda was nominated for Best Actor, Supporting Actress and Original Screenplay, but wasn't given a Best Picture nom.

I guess "quality" wasn't really the right word. He listed some of the most adored films in their perspective genres opposite films that were very well received by critics but aren't really films that people feel passionately about.
                    That was sort of his point... but hand picking anecdotes really doesn't help to discuss the general point either way.

Comment

• Damn you and your logic Heye. I'm trying to multi-task!

Comment

Se7en vs Corky Romano

Really? When you looked at this which side did you think inferior?

My point is that all of the feel good movies were better than the heavy nominated and winning Oscar movies on the right. The right side had 16 nominations with 8 wins two of the movies won best picture.

Now if you were infering that the left side is the inferior side that would be a different discussion.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                          That was sort of his point... but hand picking anecdotes really doesn't help to discuss the general point either way.
                          You guys type faster than me.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                            this made me LOL ... I was thinking the same thing about the pairings, but those two together - priceless.
                            I did laugh as well, but that is not what I did.

How about;

Indiana Jones vs Schindlers List

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull vs. Deuce Bigelow ...ok I am not really sure who wins this one.

Comment

Damn you and your logic Heye. I'm trying to multi-task!
                              your list did make me laugh though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                                Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull vs. Deuce Bigelow ...ok I am not really sure who wins this one.
                                I think Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Scull depressed me in its suckiness and has stuck with me longer because I'm angry that it was made.
                                Last edited by heyelander; 02-01-2013, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X