It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    saw Life of Pi this weekend. It has me thinking well after I left the theater. Beautiful doesn't go far enough to describe it, and the story was very interesting. I don't usually go to 3D versions of movies, but this one was worth it. I'm glad I got to see it in the theater.
    I saw it last night for the 2nd time in 3D, simply amazing.

Saw Zero Dark Thirty as well and thought it was very well done, although it's highly unlikely the actual raid took as long as they portrayed it on film. Jessica Chastain was fantastic.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
      Saw Looper yesterday. It was good, not great. Glad I rented it instead of going to the theater. Worth a watch but probably not worth a gazillion dollars.
      the neat thing about looper was at the end. when he's like, "then i saw it". when he saw the future. that moment when you can just figure out the next future moment. such a phrase should be in everybodys vocabulary. thats really what the movie was about. which is why i love time travel movies.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
        Saw Looper yesterday. It was good, not great. Glad I rented it instead of going to the theater. Worth a watch but probably not worth a gazillion dollars.
        This was my thought as well, maybe I overhyped it in my mind (I had buddies that said it was the best movie of the year) but I actually liked "The Lookout" which I watched 3 days before better. Still worth watching and discussing though.
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Looper also had a hard theory about time travel that you don't normally see. which is, if you travel into a parallel future universe your future self survives. but if you travel into the the past of the same universe your future self simply vanishes. which defies the law of physics. which is why the idea of past time travel freaks scientists out.
          Last edited by ; 01-14-2013, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• i would like to note that when traveling into the past in the same universe (and i really only think there is one), you arrive in the Present before your future self left. which means there are two of you in the same universe. this was done in the movie The Final Countdown with Kirk Douglas. you don't see that done very often either. but the guy in the beginning that pulled up in the black limo was the same guy that time travelled. even tho his Present self didn't know it was himself.

Comment

• thats also another way to correct a 'loop'.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post

Saw Zero Dark Thirty as well and thought it was very well done, although it's highly unlikely the actual raid took as long as they portrayed it on film. Jessica Chastain was fantastic.
                Actually, I read that the raid scene in the movie runs 25 minutes and the actual raid was somewhere in the 28-30 minute range so the timing is pretty accurate.

Also - this was on 60 minutes a few months ago and alot of the key details from the movie are the same as this interview with a Seal Team 6 member who was there for it all. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_16...laden-killing/

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                  This was my thought as well, maybe I overhyped it in my mind (I had buddies that said it was the best movie of the year) but I actually liked "The Lookout" which I watched 3 days before better. Still worth watching and discussing though.
                  Really liked Looper. One of the best movies of its genre IMO. Speaking of JGL, downloaded Mysterious Skin not knowing what it's about ... got about 15 minutes in before putting it in the "to watch later when in the right mood" folder ... wasn't in the right place to watch a child molestation indie flick.

JGL gets around!

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                    The Raid / The Raid Redemption - mega non-stop action. Definitely regret not catching it in the cinema. It was very impressive, but without the big screen / cinema experience, I got a bit bored with the constant action. If you love eastern action cinema this is an all time classic ... if not, it's a decent all-action yarn.
                    Yup I felt the same way. The action was crazy. But it did make me think, "where's the f@cking backup?"

Comment

I didnt go in thinking it was going to be a comedy, in some ways it reminded me a lot of "Trees Lounge", Steve Buscemi's directorial debut
                      i really liked Trees Lounge...
                      "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

I didnt go in thinking it was going to be a comedy, in some ways it reminded me a lot of "Trees Lounge", Steve Buscemi's directorial debut
                        Enlightened (HBO series) with Laura Dern is very similar in theme to Young Adult.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          Plus, WTF was DDL doing with that totally annoying voice? Is there some historian that discovered that Abe sounded like a whiny old woman?
                          yep. despite most hollywood depictions of him as a nice baritone (gregory peck, anyone?), he had a very high-pitched (and described by many as quite annoying) speaking voice.

see http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2024570.html.

or, for example, from http://showcase.netins.net/web/creat...s/speaker.htm:

Voice

Lincoln's voice was, when he first began speaking, shrill, squeaking, piping, unpleasant; his general look, his form, his pose, the color of his flesh, wrinkled and dry, his sensitiveness, and his momentary diffidence, everything seemed to be against him, but he soon recovered.
                          --William H. Herndon letter, July 19, 1887

But whenever he began to talk his eyes flashed and every facial movement helped express his idea and feeling. Then involuntarily vanished all thought or consciousness of his uncouth appearance, or awkward manner, or even his high keyed, unpleasant voice.
                          --Abram Bergen in Intimate Memories of Lincoln

The [second] inaugural address was received in most profound silence. Every word was clear and audible as the ringing and somewhat shrill tones of Lincoln's voice sounded over the vast concourse.
                          --Noah Brooks in Washington in Lincoln's Time
                          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                            yep. despite most hollywood depictions of him as a nice baritone (gregory peck, anyone?), he had a very high-pitched (and described by many as quite annoying) speaking voice.

see http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2024570.html.

or, for example, from http://showcase.netins.net/web/creat...s/speaker.htm:

Voice

Lincoln's voice was, when he first began speaking, shrill, squeaking, piping, unpleasant; his general look, his form, his pose, the color of his flesh, wrinkled and dry, his sensitiveness, and his momentary diffidence, everything seemed to be against him, but he soon recovered.
                            --William H. Herndon letter, July 19, 1887

But whenever he began to talk his eyes flashed and every facial movement helped express his idea and feeling. Then involuntarily vanished all thought or consciousness of his uncouth appearance, or awkward manner, or even his high keyed, unpleasant voice.
                            --Abram Bergen in Intimate Memories of Lincoln

The [second] inaugural address was received in most profound silence. Every word was clear and audible as the ringing and somewhat shrill tones of Lincoln's voice sounded over the vast concourse.
                            --Noah Brooks in Washington in Lincoln's Time
                            Wow! I had no idea.

I am now imagining Lincoln with Elmos voice. It just doesn't seem to work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                              Wow! I had no idea.

I am now imagining Lincoln with Elmos voice. It just doesn't seem to work.
                              Same here. I always assumed, tall dude, gruff face, must have a deep voice.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                                saw Life of Pi this weekend. It has me thinking well after I left the theater. Beautiful doesn't go far enough to describe it, and the story was very interesting. I don't usually go to 3D versions of movies, but this one was worth it. I'm glad I got to see it in the theater.
                                Originally posted by DMT View Post
                                Remarkable adaptation. I had already heard the movie was pretty special before reading the book, but I still wondered how they'd pull it off.

Comment

Working...
                                X