Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
    Primer. $7,000 budget.

im happy to say it's a time travel movie that i had to go back to understand. and even then, im still not exactly able to comprehend the natural philosophy of the time loop. smart director.
    It's outstanding.

I really didn't know what to make of the last 20 minutes or so when I saw it. I found a chart online somewhere that tried to make sense of it all, then it made a tad more sense to me.

But my favorite part was when they slowly discover that they can make the time travel thing work. You the viewer get just as excited as the characters.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Looper - outstanding.

If you only see one movie this year ... this is it.

EDIT: avoid any reviews ... just go and watch it.
      Last edited by johnnya24; 10-02-2012, 04:59 PM.

Comment

• Looper = good stuff.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Looper is totally my kind of movie -- and totally not my wife's kind of movie. So I wait for Netflix.
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
            Looper is totally my kind of movie -- and totally not my wife's kind of movie. So I wait for Netflix.
            It made for a good cinema experience on top of everything else. Would definitely recommend the big screen treatment.

Comment

• Saw Argo this weekend. Both the wife and I liked it. I feel kind of stupid but I was sitting there thinking "I hope they make it out" when you know the history of it before you even walk in the theater.

Comment

• Argo. As mentioned above, when a non-fiction story has the viewer on edge, even though you already know the outcome, you know the movie is good. Solid script, good performances all-around. Well worth a look.

Seven Psychopaths. Despite the potentially delicious cast, the movie felt like a letdown. The violence was good and somewhat plenty but the rather thin-ish plot made it a bit difficult to sit through considering its nearly 2-hour length. Quite a wordy script in terms of the actors talking for the sake of talking without moving the movie forward.

Paranormal Activity 4. Not much to see here, if you have seen the other three in the series. Decent but odd and abrupt ending and not quite as tense as the previous entries.

Comment

• Watched Jarhead again last weekend. Really underrated movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by off_the_wall;107364[B
                    Seven Psychopaths[/B]. Despite the potentially delicious cast, the movie felt like a letdown. The violence was good and somewhat plenty but the rather thin-ish plot made it a bit difficult to sit through considering its nearly 2-hour length. Quite a wordy script in terms of the actors talking for the sake of talking without moving the movie forward.
                    Well that's disappointing. I friggin' loved In Bruges and this movie looked awesome as well. Hopefully your review brought my expectations down a little and I'll like it even more

Looking forward to Argo and Looper a lot as well - it's about time some good movies came out in the theater!

Oh, saw Moonrise Kingdom the other day and it was quirky Andersonian fun, second only to Royal Tenenbaums in my book. The youthful love story was sweet at times, awkward at others and there were a ton of funny and heartwarming parts. Highly recommended if you're a fan of Wes Anderson.

Comment

• I was really looking forward to 7 Psychopaths as well, having loved In Bruges. I had the same sort of Meh response that OTW had. I laughed out loud a few times, enjoyed some of the dialogue, but it lacked the cohesiveness of In Bruges. I think it was trying to tell a story but didn't quite get there.

Thumbs up to both Looper and Sunrise Kingdom.

Argo next on my list...

Comment

• Skyfall ... good movie, if half an hour too long. Not the greatest Bond movie as some are saying, but it's worthy of an honorable mention. There are a lot of nice touches that enhance the experience ... for instance, in place of the silhouetted Bond in the opening sequence, there's a brilliant silhouetted fight scene.

Possibly the new best Bond villain ... Javier Bardem is excellent ... he does pathological maniac better than anyone. As for the story (possible spoilers in case you have never seen a Bond movie) [there basically isn't one ... classic Bond ... bad guy hates the good guys, and rather than just killing them as he could at any moment, the bad guy concocts all manner of elaborate nonsense in order to needlessly extend the process ... and well ... you know how Bond movies end.]

Comment

• Originally posted by dslaw View Post
                          Saw Argo this weekend. Both the wife and I liked it. I feel kind of stupid but I was sitting there thinking "I hope they make it out" when you know the history of it before you even walk in the theater.
                          No kidding... no idea how a story you already know the outcome of can be so stressful, but i was on the edge of my seat. Good stuff.

Comment

• Disney acquires Lucasfilm and plan to continue the Star Wars franchise from Episode 7.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/oct/30/disney-lucasfilm-star-wars-deal

This can only be good for the franchise, because George Lucas was clearly the biggest obstacle to delivering any sort of quality. Then again, Disney did make an awful mess of the sequels to Pirates of the Caribbean, so it's hardly that much of a blessing.

I find myself really not caring about this. The awfulness of the prequels probably did that ... which is a shame, because Lucas's overall story was really well conceived.

Disney, like Lucas, are really only interested in one thing .... $$$$$$$$$$ ... so I'm not expecting any kind of Dark Knight style reboot ... always best to dull expectations these days.

Comment

• I finally saw Goon and it was such a fun movie. There were slow bits, but man, it Stifler was such an easy character to cheer for. Liev Schriber totally killed it. For some reason he reminded me of Claude Lemieux, not as a fighter, but as someone who was one of the more polarizing players to ever skate.

Comment

• Concur on Argo. Very enjoyable. Loved the haircuts, but not quite enough polyester to give a truly authentic 70's feel. We couldn't even have one set of poorly fitting brown polyester pants?

Comment

Working...
                                X