It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    Yeah, I kind of agree with you with the writing and acting. Yep, it did have potential, ah well.
    HBO had a show about these guys about 15 years ago that I thought was pretty good. Seemed to handle the discrimination pretty good and talked about their training and actual war record as well. I was hesitant to watch Red Tails because I didn't think it would match up well with the HBO show but figured I would catch Red Tails when it came to tv. Now I may not bother.

Comment

• Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter ... really? Will anyone pay to see this? The trailer made it seem like it was trying to be a serious movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter ... really? Will anyone pay to see this? The trailer made it seem like it was trying to be a serious movie.
        Popular book, Tim Burton, yeah I will pay to see it. Just not in Theaters. I will wait for pay for view.

Comment

• We're taking my daughter to see "Brave" this weekend, or as she calls it "Super Me!"

Comment

• Are those your little Fly's?

Caption time?

Comment

Are those your little Fly's?

Caption time?
              Those are mine, yeah. The J'afro is alive and well for another generation.

Comment

Are those your little Fly's?

Caption time?
                I'll do it...

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  Popular book, Tim Burton, yeah I will pay to see it. Just not in Theaters. I will wait for pay for view.
                  Ah, Tim Burton is producing... if he was directing it would have been an easy No for me... now I'll just see what reviews it gets and then decide.
                  I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post

Those are mine, yeah. The J'afro is alive and well for another generation.
                    The girl has the Irish genes ... "FUN SWINGS PLAY ... YEAHHHHH"

The boy has the Jewish genes ... "You drag me away from my books for this sh!t? At least the sun isn't shining with my complexion! Look at those morons going round and round. What time is diner? Next time you take me to place like this, ask first."

Comment

• Been quite lazy with the rentals recently, but did end up watching a pretty damn good film last night.

Take Shelter - Michael Shannon stars as a regular dude in Ohio with a wife and kid who starts having horrifying dreams about a huge storm that brings upon some sort of apocalypse. The dreams have more and more of an effect on him until he finally decides to build a large underground storm shelter by himself. He questions his own sanity and when people find out they really question his sanity. Shannon's performance should've garnered him an Oscar nomination because he plays the part with such intensity and nuance while Jessica Chastain is also excellent as his wife. Highly recommended.
                      Last edited by overkill94; 06-26-2012, 10:54 PM.

Comment

• I've was meaning to watch Take Shelter ... missed it when it was released. Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          We'll expect spoilers (unannounced) just as soon as you see it.
                          I won't want to let you down.

Comment

• saw two movies this weekend:

War Horse -- just phenomenal. A unique plot that centers around a thoroughbred during the WWI era, it shows how one can attach itself to a creature and do just about anything to protect it -- all the while, ironically, leading it directly through humanity's greatest bloodshed.

The Grey -- blech. A very disappointing and predictable Liam Neeson "thriller" with no explanation, rhyme or reason as to why some of the events happen, or their aftermath. Get into an airplane crash? Forget the basics, wander off. Wolves the size of dinosaurs? No need to be afraid. Walk around in a sub-zero blizzard with no gloves or face protection? No problem, brush it off. Plunge into an ice-cold river? No problem, shake it off.

Comment

• Martha Marcy May Marlene -- A love-it-or-hate it proposition. A meditation on cults, brainwashing, reassimilating, and post-traumatic stress, it moves very slowly, and goes back and forth between two time periods, not always obviously. But it is visually stunning and really makes you think about what is going through the main character's mind. If you like fast action and neat endings, this is not for you. If you like stuff that's more artistic and meditative, you will probably enjoy it. It has its flaws but I found it satisfying.

The Kids are All Right -- Teenage children of a lesbian couple track down their sperm-donor father, and things get emotionally complicated from there. Rich characterizations and good acting, though the plot has a few missteps, especially toward the end.

Fraternity Vacation -- Awful even by the standards of '80s sex comedies, with an extremely dumb and misogynistic plot, and almost no jokes that land. Amusing, though, to see Tim Robbins three years before his breakout role in Bull Durham. Even in this tripe, he brings acting chops, whereas everyone else is going through the motions or hamming it up.
                              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                                saw two movies this weekend:

War Horse -- blech. A unique plot that centers around a thoroughbred during the WWI era, it shows how one can attach itself to a creature and do just about anything to protect it -- all the while, ironically, leading it directly through humanity's greatest bloodshed.

The Grey -- just phenomenal. A very disappointing and predictable Liam Neeson "thriller" with no explanation, rhyme or reason as to why some of the events happen, or their aftermath. Get into an airplane crash? Forget the basics, wander off. Wolves the size of dinosaurs? No need to be afraid. Walk around in a sub-zero blizzard with no gloves or face protection? No problem, brush it off. Plunge into an ice-cold river? No problem, shake it off.
                                Fixed

Thought War Horse was just awful ... and I really enjoyed The Grey

I find it hard to walk out of the cinema when I've paid good money for the privilege ... but War Horse almost made me ... 2 1/2 hours! It started OK, and just got steadily worse. The only good part was the cavalry charge. I was really squirming in my seat at the end.

Comment

Working...
                                X