No announcement yet.

It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My wife and I really enjoyed Battleship.

Great action/special effects movie. Some touching moments with real WWII Navy Vets getting in on the action. The sound was fantastic. A must see on the big screen. It delivered much more fun than expected.

Don't think too much and just enjoy the ride.

Comment

• Documentary on one of the metal bands that was destined to be huge, never was, and never stopped believing. Always endearing, alternating between hilarious and painful.

people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• That was good stuff -- and apparently there's going to be a sequel.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
          Documentary on one of the metal bands that was destined to be huge, never was, and never stopped believing. Always endearing, alternating between hilarious and painful.

I watched this, didn't know if it was a Spinal Tapish joke or not, and kinda didn't get it. I ended up turning it off after 45 boring minutes, sorry.

Comment

• Went and saw Snow White and the Huntsman with the wife today (our anniversary is tomorrow...spent some time out without the boy!). I really enjoyed the movie, but I will warn you...if you have younger children, 10 or younger, and are considering taking them to this movie....don't. There's some scenes that are a bit disturbing, which I thoroughly enjoyed but young kids might get to see again and again in nightmares.

If your wife is twisting your arm to go see a chick flick...it might be worth suggesting this one. Walt Disney it was not.
            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• The wife and I walked out on Rock of Ages. Absolutely brutal. Broadway musicals lose a lot when they try to make up for lack of talent with massive editing. We stayed long enough to see Tom Cruise, who was as terrific as advertised. But Alec Baldwin might as well have played his entire part with a paycheck in his hand, and the two leads had no talent or appeal whatsoever.

We did catch a terrific documentary on Netflix, "The Cats Of Mirikitani". A film which spends a lot of time on Homelessness, Japanese Interment Camps, September 11th without crushing you under the weight of such topics. It's carried by the Odd Couple interaction of the filmmaker and the 80 year old homeless artist that she takes in.
              people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

The wife and I walked out on Rock of Ages. Absolutely brutal. Broadway musicals lose a lot when they try to make up for lack of talent with massive editing. We stayed long enough to see Tom Cruise, who was as terrific as advertised. But Alec Baldwin might as well have played his entire part with a paycheck in his hand, and the two leads had no talent or appeal whatsoever.
                Wow, you walked out?

Different strokes I guess. My wife loved it. I thought it was ok for a musical. Tom Cruise should be up for an Oscar for his performance. While I in no way consider myself a Cruise fan, I cannot deny he was outstanding in this film.

I thought the lead characters were talented and did just fine.

Some movies are meant to be fun, this was fun.

I am glad you enjoyed your documentary. The thought of sitting through that one gives me the willies. I have never walked out of a movie, but there are plenty I would not walk into. This would fall under that category.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  I am glad you enjoyed your documentary. The thought of sitting through that one gives me the willies. I have never walked out of a movie, but there are plenty I would not walk into. This would fall under that category.
                  It's got a very happy ending (seriously)

Comment

It's got a very happy ending (seriously)
                    So did mine...oh you meant the movie.

When Mrs. Gregg is happy, Mr. Gregg is happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                      I just saw Moonlight Kingdom last night in the theater. It was really enjoyable and unique. It's about two kids back in 1965 that live on a small island, but on opposite sides of the island. They decide to run away together and the film is about the relative chaos that ensues on the tiny island in the wake of their escape. It was funny, quaint, well-acted (it's got a who's who of Hollywood in it --- Bill Murray, Edward Norton, Harvey Keitel, that lady cop from Fargo, etc.), and an interesting type of "quirky-fun" which isn't, honestly, something that I normally am all that into. It was a very solid movie and highly recommended.
                      Wes Anderson is very hit (Royal Tenenbaums, Rushmore, Bottle Rocket)-or-miss (Darjeeling Limited, Life Aquatic) but this one looks like a winner.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• saw a couple this weekend:

Man on a Ledge -- meh. Convoluted, ridiculous plot will have you thinking "how on earth did someone come up with this nonsense?" All you need to know is Sam Worthington plays a former NYPD detective (wrongly?) imprisoned for 2 years for stealing a diamond, somehow escapes and stays on the lam, then comes up with a ludicrous scheme where he will attempt a suicide leap to hopefully clear his name -- yet his fellow NYPD detectives assigned to save him have no idea who he is. You'd think they would know a fellow detective who got sent away in a high profile case and then escaped the month before, but nooooooooo. The only saving grace is some hottie Italian actress who wears lingerie while performing a diamond heist.

Red Tails -- I wanted to see this one for awhile now, and unfortunately, I could've waited longer. It was far from terrible, and the action sequences are all right, but the Tuskegee Airmen deserved better than this. I suppose it's true they were REMFs for much of the war, and so I should've expected to see them while away the days joking and laughing around, but when this carried over into the action sequences of the real war, I said to myself "enough is enough!" I'm sure the real pilots acted with class and had fear, but not these guys! They're laughing and screaming like they're playing video games, and not being outnumbered and outgunned by veteran Nazi pilots. Heck, the epilogue says 66 Airmen lost their lives in the war, but you'd never know it from this movie. It was one of the least realistic war movies I've seen, perhaps up there with Pearl Harbor.

Maybe instead of wasting time showing how little they were doing to start, maybe they could've showed how they went through pilot school? How so many of these guys, who the US didn't want to fight for them, became officers?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                          Went and saw Snow White and the Huntsman with the wife today (our anniversary is tomorrow...spent some time out without the boy!). I really enjoyed the movie, but I will warn you...if you have younger children, 10 or younger, and are considering taking them to this movie....don't. There's some scenes that are a bit disturbing, which I thoroughly enjoyed but young kids might get to see again and again in nightmares.

If your wife is twisting your arm to go see a chick flick...it might be worth suggesting this one. Walt Disney it was not.
                          Thought this was decent enough... I find the star chick from Twilight completely unlikable even without seeing any of the twilight movies, but even with her being annoying it was enjoyable.
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• What was not an exceelent movie was Tiptoes, but what was exceelent was Daniel Tosh spoiling the movie. It's 43 minutes long but well worth the watch, and far far better than watching the actual movie.

NSFW

This weekly topical series hosted by comedian Daniel Tosh delves into all aspects of the Internet, from the ingenious to the absurd to the medically inadvisable.
                            Last edited by BuckyBuckner; 06-26-2012, 12:42 AM.
                            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                              saw a couple this weekend:
                              ... Red Tails -- I wanted to see this one for awhile now, and unfortunately, I could've waited longer. It was far from terrible, and the action sequences are all right, but the Tuskegee Airmen deserved better than this. ...
                              I'll differ from you on this one ... we saw this in the theatre & it was terrible. The writing was lazy, the acting mediocre at best (often worse) ... too bad, it had a lot of potential.
                              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                                I'll differ from you on this one ... we saw this in the theatre & it was terrible. The writing was lazy, the acting mediocre at best (often worse) ... too bad, it had a lot of potential.
                                Yeah, I kind of agree with you with the writing and acting. Yep, it did have potential, ah well.

Comment

Working...
                                X