No announcement yet.

It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saw Killer Elite the other night. I had thought it was a re-make of the 1970s James Caan film of the same name, but it was not. It's actually a true story based on the British handling of the Oman uprising in the 1970s, and the retributions on a few of the soldiers responsible for the brutality. I thought it was well-made and well-done, and it's a bit of a shame how some reviewers can't get past the fact it's a Jason Statham flick at heart. Robert De Niro is under-utilized and even lackluster, but Clive Owen is his usual solid self. Plus, Adebisi from Oz is in it!

The only complaint I have is that it's hard, if not impossible, to distinguish who the good guys and bad guys are. Between the Arab soldiers, the mercenaries, the British SAS soldiers, the secret society henchmen and the British government, your guess is as good as mine. You could probably make a case on either side for any of them.

And Yvonne Strahovski (from Chuck) is a nice, if oblivious, eye candy.

Hard to believe it only gets a 26% on RT, with just a 45% user rating. Hey, I liked it!
    Last edited by revo; 02-21-2012, 04:16 PM.

Comment

• Rubber - The story of a group of people watching a tire come to life and go on a killing spree. It's a bizarre comedy that also has a lot of exploding heads. HIGHLY recommend this one:

Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Watched Hanna again last night ... I enjoyed it more than the first time. Great pace, and no messing about with unnecessary plot twists. As with the first time, I thought the hired-hand bad guys were completely ridiculous. Kate Blanchett's over-the-top wicked witch of the west performance was all the OTT the film needed ... so CIA henchmen in suits would have been better.

Saoirse Ronan is quite a talent.

Comment

• Watched heyelander's Xtranormal vids...outstanding!

Oh yeah, and saw True Grit... I think I am still more of a fan of the original because it has been ingrained seeing it so many times, but the remake was more than solid.
          I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
          You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
          "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
          It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

• Lots of talented young female actresses about these last few years.
            Last edited by johnnya24; 02-26-2012, 09:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
              Rubber - The story of a group of people watching a tire come to life and go on a killing spree. It's a bizarre comedy that also has a lot of exploding heads. HIGHLY recommend this one:
              Okay. I also LOVED Rubber. What a wonderful, imaginative film. Sure, it misfires more than a few times and it has that low-budget smell to it, but the are few films I EVER seen that are more creative and original. Hilarious and even a little daring, anyone who is into films should see this.

Comment

• I declare Marisa Tomei the winner of this year's academy award for best actress, and every other year for that matter...

people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• I opened this thread expecting to see your review of something that came out in 1993 or something.
                  I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Tower Heist
                    - decent enough movie with this ensemble cast. Eddie Murphy is barely in this movie despite the trailers and posters. A good mixture of comedy and drama, just don't expect anything groundbreaking.

Hugo
                    - despite it being a " kids " movie, nearly anyone of any age will find something to like. The first half is a tad slow but everything gets tied together nicely in the second half.

Comment

• The Perfect Host: A fantastic performance by David Hyde-Pierce, abetted by an outstanding script full of twists and turns. It gets a bit too contrived at the end, but otherwise offers one thrilling surprise after another.

Cedar Rapids: Combination crass comedy and idealist-vs.-the system drama that satisfied on most counts. It resonated with me because in my old job I really did meet people who lived staid, conventional lives at home but became total hedonists when away at conferences.
                      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Watched some pretty good ones lately:

Margin Call - hadn't really heard anything about this before seeing it on the Oscar ballot for its screenplay even though it's pretty star-studded (Paul Bettany, Kevin Spacey, Jeremy Irons, Zachary Quinto, Demi Moore, Stanley Tucci, Simon Baker). The film revolves around an investment firm realizing they're screwed and the fallout that ensues. The screenplay is incredibly tight and the performances are excellent all-around. Highly recommended movie.

The Ides of March - another movie with a very smart screenplay, you've probably all heard about this political intrigue flick starring Ryan Gosling and George Clooney. Once again the performances were great and the plot moved along pretty well. Another recommended movie.

A Better Life - on the other side of the coin is this movie about an illegal immigrant gardener trying to live the American dream so his son can have - wait for it - a better life. While the overreaching story is about the plight of the underprivileged and undocumented immigrant, there's a fine story intertwined that works as a sort of mystery thriller. Definitely worth a watch.

Comment

• I watched Hugo last night with my wife and teenage daughter.

My wife liked it but wasn't too absorbed
                          My daughter thought is was really interesting and wants to know more about this Scorses guy
                          I thought it was great. I thought the visuals were tremendous and the emotions were quite touching.

Now I need to find a Scorsese movie for a teen girl that isn't a big fan of stylized violence

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                            Now I need to find a Scorsese movie for a teen girl that isn't a big fan of stylized violence
                            Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
                            After Hours
                            The Color of Money
                            Kundun
                            The Aviator
                            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Watched The Cruise last night on Netflix. Really entertaining documentary of a Manhattan double-decker tour guide.
                              people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                                I watched Hugo last night with my wife and teenage daughter.

My wife liked it but wasn't too absorbed
                                My daughter thought is was really interesting and wants to know more about this Scorses guy
                                I thought it was great. I thought the visuals were tremendous and the emotions were quite touching.

Age of Innocence
                                The Aviator

Comment

Working...
                                X