It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
    Everything I've seen recently is just f*cking terrible or "meh".

Cowboys and Aliens - f*cking terrible
    Horrible Bosses - "meh" (it was maybe slightly better than that, but not much)
    I kinda liked Cowboys & Aliens, even if I would never watch it again. It was OK, I probably had my hopes up too high after seeing previews. I didn't think it was terrible, though.

Horrible Bosses had some snickers, but yeah....more eye-rolling. Like Jennifer Aniston can't get anyone to f**k her brains out.

Comment

Why did I watch Real Steel and Cowboys and Aliens, you ask? I have no idea. Seems to be a real dearth of movies out on video right now.
      Real Steel might be on of the worst movies I've ever seen among movies that got moderately good reviews. From start to finish this was complete and utter dross ... I can't even remember if I finished it. Think of any negative adjective, and it will easily apply to this one.

I was reading a book while watching Cowboys... didn't reckon I was missing much when I occasionally looked up. In fact, I only remember paying attention when Olivia Wilde was on screen, in the hope she might re-robe.

I really enjoyed Horrible Bosses, and quite liked In Time also ... even though to was a bit preposterous.

Comment

• Man on Wire was really good. Documentary about the guy who did the high wire between the WTC in 1974.
        people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Horrible Bosses - "meh" (it was maybe slightly better than that, but not much)
          aside from some very hot bits with jennifer aniston, and a few funny bits, i also thought Horrible Bosses was "meh." i had heard it compared to The Hangover, but it was nowhere near as good as that (nor was The Hangover II, which was mostly also "meh").

but i could see those jennifer aniston scenes over and over.

"Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
            Man on Wire was really good. Documentary about the guy who did the high wire between the WTC in 1974.
            Saw the first half hour of this before the family invaded one Sunday ... kept meaning to go back and finish it.

Comment

Man on Wire was really good. Documentary about the guy who did the high wire between the WTC in 1974.
              You mean Karl Wallenda?

Comment

Did you watch it on VHS or Beta?
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                  Did you watch it on VHS or Beta?
                  Netflix, so nyah. Our VCR player now destroys VHS tapes, so we're stuck with Netflix or DVD.
                  people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    You mean Karl Wallenda?
                    Philippe Petit

Looking in Wikipedia, the closest I could find on Wallenda was when he died trying to walk "between the two towers of the 10-story Condado Plaza Hotel in San Juan, Puerto Rico". Petit made 8 trips back and forth between the World Trade Center towers, 110 stories up.

Comment

My whole family enjoyed this, even though my kids couldnt appreciate the twin towers subtext like adults would...
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• The Grey was primal, intense, terrifying, highly recommended!
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• I watched Too Big to Fail on HBO the other night. I really enjoyed it. Again, I loved the West Wing so these sort of dialogue driven behind the scenes things always interest me and I thought this was pretty well done. I have not read the book, but it I liked it.

Comment

• Saw Tucker & Dale vs. Evil on Netflix Instant. I really enjoyed it. A bit over the top, but funny...

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                              Warrior - Very much a formula film, but it works because Tom Hardy is amazing. Kind of silly that they're all middleweights, given that some of them appear to have 50 lb advantages over a shrimp like Joel Edgarton, but it's a pretty forgivable flaw. Overall, I enjoyed it a lot.
                              Watched this on the last hockey team bus ride last weekend... All the kids had obviously seen it before and loved it and TW nailed it with his brief synopsis. I have to admit it was an engaging movie. And most MMA movies we suffer thru on the bus are insipid. Warrior was good...

Guaranteed we watch on the bus ride down to our playoff opponent's rink this Saturday as well...
                              I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                              You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                              "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                              It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                                The Grey was primal, intense, terrifying, highly recommended!
                                Aye. A big-screen must-see.
                                "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                                "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                                "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Working...
                                X