It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    The Third Man was directed by Carol Reed, starring Orson Welles..not Hitchcock. And it a great great movie..
    My bad and thanx for the info. It certainly had a Hitchcock-type feel to it.

Also, I just saw 'Pope Joan'. I enjoyed it. It's another type of movie that interests me, i.e. those that are based on historical events. Even tho there is great controversy over whether there really ever was a female pope.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
      Any Hitchcock fans here? Arguably the greatest director of all time. Certainly has more classic/great movies than any other director.

Check out this lineup:

The 39 Steps
      Rebecca
      The Lady Vanishes
      Suspicion
      Shadow of a Doubt
      Notorious
      Strangers on a Train
      Dial M for Murder
      Rear Window
      To Catch a Thief
      Vertigo
      North by Northwest
      Psycho
      The Birds
      The Man Who Knew too Much
      I think, The Wrong Man, is a woefully underrated Hitchcock movie.

Comment

• Chronicle - decent popcorn flick. I don't know why, but I expected a bit more. At some point it got silly, and then completely OTT. The last quarter was a big let down IMO. I was wondering throughout who the black actor was, I knew I'd seen him before ... at first I was thinking a Wayans brother, then it dawned on me ... it's Wallace! Damn ... I thought that boy got shot.

Comment

• Saw Safe House Saturday. I really liked it but I have been a Denzel fan for a long time. Small plot twist that you could see coming but good action sequences.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
            The Grey - Really enjoyed this. It's one of those movies that needs to be seen on a very big screen with a great sound system. The plane crash at the beginning is worth the admission by itself. Dark, gritty, great pace, and some really evil bad guys! Liam Neeson is terrific.
            saw it this weekend. grim. visceral. uncompromising. intense. f'n loved it.

eta: oh yeah, this is a must-see on the big screen. watching it at home would not be the same experience.
            Last edited by Cobain's Ghost; 02-13-2012, 05:39 PM.
            ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

• Watched Contagion and Super 8 this weekend. I liked Contagion, but really liked Super 8. It definitely felt like Abrams paying tribute to a lot of Spielberg movies (Goonies and E.T. are the obvious two). Anyway I thought the kids did a great job in the film. On Contagion I am a sucker for movies like that and definitely enjoyed it.

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
                Watched Contagion and Super 8 this weekend. I liked Contagion, but really liked Super 8. It definitely felt like Abrams paying tribute to a lot of Spielberg movies (Goonies and E.T. are the obvious two). Anyway I thought the kids did a great job in the film. On Contagion I am a sucker for movies like that and definitely enjoyed it.
                Really, I thought Super 8 was pretty awful. It's interesting because the reviews I read seemed to be super-positive or super-negative. Maybe I missed something.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
                  saw it this weekend. grim. visceral. uncompromising. intense. f'n loved it.

eta: oh yeah, this is a must-see on the big screen. watching it at home would not be the same experience.
                  Would this be a bad Valentine's Day movie? My mom is coming to town so we're going out to dinner and maybe a movie afterwards (this will be just the 2nd movie we've seen in the theater since becoming parents a year ago).
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    Would this be a bad Valentine's Day movie? My mom is coming to town so we're going out to dinner and maybe a movie afterwards (this will be just the 2nd movie we've seen in the theater since becoming parents a year ago).
                    Wouldn't be my first choice on Valentines Day It's really good, but very edge and pretty uncompromising. No re-runs of Love Actually?

Comment

Really, I thought Super 8 was pretty awful. It's interesting because the reviews I read seemed to be super-positive or super-negative. Maybe I missed something.
                      I liked the first 70% of Super 8, but did not like the resolution at all. Shame, because I really liked the mood and feel of the movie up to that point.

Comment

my first thought was "no, it's a guy movie all the way", but my girl really liked it. so it depends on the girl, i guess.
                        Last edited by Cobain's Ghost; 02-13-2012, 07:17 PM.
                        ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                          I liked the first 70% of Super 8, but did not like the resolution at all. Shame, because I really liked the mood and feel of the movie up to that point.
                          I do agree with this. The end was the worst part, but did not ruin the movie for me.

Comment

• Watched "Island of the Lost Souls" on Saturday night. Creepy good.

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Saw 2 movies recently, one new, one old. Took my parents to 'Red Tails'. I thought the story was very similar to the 1st Tuskegee Airmen movie. Not great but OK; better than I was expecting. I also saw 'Z', a French movie from the '60s based on a true story about a political murder scandal and coverup in Greece. Very good; one of the kind of movies I'm interested in.

Comment

• saw two very good movies this weekend:
                                Contagion -- Frae said he liked it, and I agree: great cast, solid, straightforward plot. It's non-stop start to finish, hard for it to go wrong. Very well done.

The Debt -- an action movie starring Helen Mirren? It's true! Without giving anything away, it's about a team of Nazi-hunting Mossad agents in the 1960s. Great action, great story.

Comment

Working...
                                X