No announcement yet.

It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Grey - Really enjoyed this. It's one of those movies that needs to be seen on a very big screen with a great sound system. The plane crash at the beginning is worth the admission by itself. Dark, gritty, great pace, and some really evil bad guys! Liam Neeson is terrific.

Comment

• Saw One for the money with the wife this weekend. Best I can say is that it didn't totally suck and I got brownie points for going. A couple of times I did get a grin on my face during the funny parts while most of the audience was really laughing. Of course, most of the audience was women and I think they had all read the book and it influenced them.

Comment

• Originally posted by dslaw View Post
        Saw One for the money with the wife this weekend. ... and I got brownie points for going.
        not enough. not nearly enough.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Any Hitchcock fans here? Arguably the greatest director of all time. Certainly has more classic/great movies than any other director.

Check out this lineup:

The 39 Steps
          Rebecca
          The Lady Vanishes
          Suspicion
          Shadow of a Doubt
          Notorious
          Strangers on a Train
          Dial M for Murder
          Rear Window
          To Catch a Thief
          Vertigo
          North by Northwest
          Psycho
          The Birds
          The Man Who Knew too Much
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Not necessarily a Hitchcock 'fan', but '39 Steps' and 'The Lady Vanishes' are 2 of my favorites. You forgot 'Foreign Correspondent' and 'The 3rd Man', also 2 of his greatest and also 2 of my favorites.

I also heard recently that 'The Birds' was based on a real incident that occurred in California where the birds ate something that made them sick and a little crazy for a while. But it had nothing to do w the birds having animosity towards humans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              Any Hitchcock fans here? Arguably the greatest director of all time. Certainly has more classic/great movies than any other director.

Check out this lineup:

The 39 Steps
              Rebecca
              The Lady Vanishes
              Suspicion
              Shadow of a Doubt
              Notorious
              Strangers on a Train
              Dial M for Murder
              Rear Window
              To Catch a Thief
              Vertigo
              North by Northwest
              Psycho
              The Birds
              North by Northwest is one of my favorite movies and have loved the others I've seen. I picked up a boxed set at a garage sale with a bunch of his movies but I've yet to watch... Maybe when the kids are bit older I'll have some time to myself lol

Comment

• test to add picture....fail

Comment

• Originally posted by dslaw View Post
                  Saw One for the money with the wife this weekend. Best I can say is that it didn't totally suck and I got brownie points for going. A couple of times I did get a grin on my face during the funny parts while most of the audience was really laughing. Of course, most of the audience was women and I think they had all read the book and it influenced them.
                  Saw this too with the significant other. Seeing Katherine Heigl partially naked in the shower was an added bonus. Not the worst thing I have ever seen but as average as you can get.

Comment

• Drive was pretty good and Gosling was very impressive, but what was up with the music?
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      Drive was pretty good and Gosling was very impressive, but what was up with the music?
                      Had a very '80s feel to it, everything from the opening credits, to the music, to the look of the movie.

Comment

Any Hitchcock fans here? Arguably the greatest director of all time. Certainly has more classic/great movies than any other director.
                        He is the ONLY director from the Production Code days whose movies resemble the mentality that we see in films today. All other pre-1967 U.S. films look and feel like they are from a different world. (That is not to say that they are all bad.)
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                          Not necessarily a Hitchcock 'fan', but '39 Steps' and 'The Lady Vanishes' are 2 of my favorites. You forgot 'Foreign Correspondent' and 'The 3rd Man', also 2 of his greatest and also 2 of my favorites.

I also heard recently that 'The Birds' was based on a real incident that occurred in California where the birds ate something that made them sick and a little crazy for a while. But it had nothing to do w the birds having animosity towards humans.
                          The Third Man was directed by Carol Reed, starring Orson Welles..not Hitchcock. And it a great great movie..
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                            He is the ONLY director from the Production Code days whose movies resemble the mentality that we see in films today. All other pre-1967 U.S. films look and feel like they are from a different world. (That is not to say that they are all bad.)
                            You say that like it's a good thing. Give me a classic from the 30-50's over today's movies all day..every day...

Comment

• I guess my views on film are closer to ElD's than yours.
                              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Check out this lineup:

The 39 Steps
                                Rebecca
                                The Lady Vanishes
                                Suspicion
                                Shadow of a Doubt
                                Notorious
                                Strangers on a Train
                                Dial M for Murder
                                Rear Window
                                To Catch a Thief
                                Vertigo
                                North by Northwest
                                Psycho
                                The Birds
                                When I went through my classic movie phase I found Hitchcock to be one of my favorites. The only one I saw and didn't love was Vertigo, but North by Northwest, Rebecca, Rear Window, and Strangers on a Train were all excellent.

Comment

Working...
                                X