It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master and Commander

Finished watching Master and Commander, starring Russell Crowe as the British captain. Very enjoyable and worthwhile seeing. Supposedly loosely based on real events, but the events in the movie I think were conglomerations from several different naval battles involving different ships.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
      Finished watching Master and Commander, starring Russell Crowe as the British captain. Very enjoyable and worthwhile seeing. Supposedly loosely based on real events, but the events in the movie I think were conglomerations from several different naval battles involving different ships.
      I concur - an outstanding movie - the cinematography - costumes and script are superior - Master & Commander is a unknown gem of a movie.

Comment

Agree..loved the movie...i think rhd is the only other poster here that loves the old movies as much as i do.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          Agree..loved the movie...i think rhd is the only other poster here that loves the old movies as much as i do.
          Made a slow profit, and it was hoped it would lead to a franchise ... but didn't make the money fast enough for the studio to risk it. Real shame ... I would have loved to have seen the story unfold (there were dozens of novels apparently).

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
            Made a slow profit, and it was hoped it would lead to a franchise ... but didn't make the money fast enough for the studio to risk it. Real shame ... I would have loved to have seen the story unfold (there were dozens of novels apparently).
            yes there are
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Since studios don't finance original concepts anymore, they'll get around to a reboot in 2030 or so.
              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                Since studios don't finance original concepts anymore, they'll get around to a reboot in 2030 or so.
                Would be hard to beat Russell Crow in the lead role. I'm sure they could build this a lot cheaper these days with the advances in CGI.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                  Ummm... 2003 is old?!?
                  I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                  You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                  "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                  It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                    I'm a fan of the older movies as well, but don't get much of a chance to watch anything because of the kids these days. But I'm a big fan of TCM and really liked Gaslight.

I did watch a few recently though:

Watched Priest last night. Pretty much crap. Some decent visuals, though mostly drab, and some good combat scenes, but overall lousy story.

The World, the Flesh and the Devil - one of those older-type movies about a man who finds himself in an abandoned New York City after a nuclear war. Pretty good movie overall. I noticed a lot of things that were borrowed in later movies especially I Am Legend.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
                      Ummm... 2003 is old?!?

The comment about old movies had nothing to do with the comment about 'Master and Commander'..sorry for the confusion

Comment

• The Dreamers is a weird, weird movie that is not for the prudish. It definitely earned its NC-17 rating. But as with many of Bertolucci's films, it is gorgeously shot and really makes you think.
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironfist View Post

Watched Priest last night. Pretty much crap. Some decent visuals, though mostly drab, and some good combat scenes, but overall lousy story.
                          Yes, very lousy. But, anything with Maggie Q in it is eminently watchable, in my opinion.

Comment

• Not a great year for movies judging by this list:

Best Picture

Hugo - haven't seen yet
                            The Tree of Life - haven't seen yet
                            The Artist - haven't seen yet
                            Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - first I am even hearing about this movie ...

The Descendants - good movie, but not nomination worthy ... like a good indie.
                            The Help - good movie, but not nomination worthy
                            Moneyball - good movie, but not nomination worthy

Midnight in Paris - mediocre, and parts of it really sucked
                            War Horse - sucked

Hopefully the movies I have yet to see will rescue the day. Heard good things about The Artist, Hugo and Tree Of Life ... and should get a re-release on the back of 11 nominations. Was slightly PO'd I missed it first time around.
                            Last edited by johnnya24; 01-24-2012, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Not a great year for movies judging by this list:

Best Picture

Hugo - haven't seen yet
                              The Tree of Life - haven't seen yet
                              The Artist - haven't seen yet
                              Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - first I am even hearing about this movie ...

The Descendants - good movie, but not nomination worthy ... like a good indie.
                              The Help - good movie, but not nomination worthy
                              Moneyball - good movie, but not nomination worthy

Midnight in Paris - mediocre, and parts of it really sucked
                              War Horse - sucked

Hopefully the movies I have yet to see will rescue the day. Heard good things about The Artist, Hugo and Tree Of Life ... and should get a re-release on the back of 11 nominations. Was slightly PO'd I missed it first time around.
                              I have typically watched at least half of the Best Picture nominations but I've only seen one of those. I'm going to have to catch up.

Comment

• Saw The Decendants last night. I thought it was very good. In a normal year I think it's one I would be rooting for and be pleasantly surprised to see get a nomination. But you are right, it is a really weak year.
                                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                                X