It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
    Beautiful Girls - I like that none of these people are particularly attractive or successful. The small town setting feels authentic. It's a Big Chill type of thing, where there are a ton of finely realized characters in their late 20's, early 30's, trying to figure out what to do with their lives. Liked this a lot.
    I always liked this movie, it's really good. Natalie Portman is excellent.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
      The first True Grit was a total piece of crap. Honestly, there are very few early movies that aren't total crap. I guess unless you really enjoy superficial machismo, no depth, helpless and stupid female characters, and general flatness. There are, of course, some very notable exceptions but True Grit embodies everything that's bad about early movies. The remake was pretty good.
      I wouldn't use words this strong but I agree with your assessment, however, I think this is indicative of many of those "action/adventure" movies of the time (the genre that Wayne pioneered in many ways). If you are able to tolerate the faults, you could get through the lousiness and enjoy them. That type of movie came into its own more recently, arguably maybe even as recently as Die Hard. Just my take...

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
        The first True Grit was a total piece of crap. Honestly, there are very few early movies that aren't total crap. I guess unless you really enjoy superficial machismo, no depth, helpless and stupid female characters, and general flatness. There are, of course, some very notable exceptions but True Grit embodies everything that's bad about early movies. The remake was pretty good.

Wrong.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
          Brazil is in my Top 10 of all time.

^this.
          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Reminded me of Senor Sheep...

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• This last week saw:

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows ... pretty good. I like both the leads and the action was non-stop ... maybe a little too much action ... although I was sorry to see a favorite female lead bumped off so soon in the movie ... that said, I've yet to see her buried in the ground, so I'm not convinced yet. Not sure if the plot was dastardly enough for Moriarty's first appearance, but at least it has some modern relevance.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo ... good remake, every bit as good as the Swedish version. Well executed, although I'm a little confused about the ending ... did they change ending from the book? Not a huge change, but a change nonetheless ... been so long since I read it that I'm hazy. Certainly recommended if you don't like watching subtitles.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                This last week saw:

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo ... good remake, every bit as good as the Swedish version. Well executed, although I'm a little confused about the ending ... did they change ending from the book? Not a huge change, but a change nonetheless ... been so long since I read it that I'm hazy. Certainly recommended if you don't like watching subtitles.
                They simplified a few things. I don't think it changed any big concepts or what not, but they smoothed out a few twists.
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                  They simplified a few things. I don't think it changed any big concepts or what not, but they smoothed out a few twists.
                  Yeah ... the affair with Cecelia was missing from both movies, and the ending was definitely streamlined ... but I'm not sure that was necessary.

Comment

• Saw a couple solid flics recently.

The Door In the Floor - Starring Jeff Bridges and Kim Basinger, this dramady is based on the novel A Widow For One Year by John Irving. I am a big Irving fan and this is one of the few novels I haven't yet read. The novel is split into three parts and the screenwriter decided to cover just the first section in the film. Great acting by Bridges as usual and if you like Irving's style you won't be disappointed. A lot of people apparently freaked out because there is a scene right in the beginning where Bridges is naked walking with his daughter (Elle Fanning) in his house at night...but they're idiots. 8/10

Twin Sisters - Very well done Dutch film about two twin sisters who are separated as young children after their parents die of TB in the mid-30s. One is taken to Holland by affluent familiy friends while the other is kept in Germany by her sadistic relatives. With the WWII and Holocaust as a backdrop it recounts their lives as they are reacquainted decades later having lived completely different lives. 8/10
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

This last week saw:

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows ... pretty good. I like both the leads and the action was non-stop ... maybe a little too much action ... although I was sorry to see a favorite female lead bumped off so soon in the movie ... that said, I've yet to see her buried in the ground, so I'm not convinced yet. Not sure if the plot was dastardly enough for Moriarty's first appearance, but at least it has some modern relevance.

They changed the entire ending . I liked the movie but thought changing the ending was stupid.
                      Last edited by Mithrandir; 01-13-2012, 08:31 PM.
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                        They changed the entire ending .
                        SERIOUSLY? You need to delete that post dude .... you are giving away the ending!
                        Last edited by johnnya24; 01-19-2012, 08:42 AM.

Comment

SERIOUSLY? You need to delete that post dude .... you are giving away the ending!

SPOILER ALERT!!! IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO LEAVE NOW ...
                          i did? How so? I didn't say what the ending in the movie was.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                            i did? How so? I didn't say what the ending in the movie was.
                            You gave away one of the two big twists in the book/movie ... how can you deny this? ... and still you leave it there to ruin other people's enjoyment of the book/movie.

Comment

• War Horse.
                              The first hour is dull and boring but the movie picks up nicely in the last hour once WWI starts. Surprisingly good despite the somewhat lame premise.

Comment

• saw a couple of good movies this week:

Margin Call -- fantastic cast (Kevin Spacey, Demi Moore, Jeremy Irons, The Mentalist dude) and great plot about the coming subprime crisis, and what one brokerage firm decided to do about its plight. Not a true story, but clearly this was based on the true events of '08.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes -- well done re-boot. James Franco is solid, and the story behind the apes is good. The CGI is pretty well done as to not take away from the story.

Comment

Working...
                                X