It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    Curious if you read the book first or saw the movie first?

I am tempted to read the book but the movie is so good it would have influence and I might not like it.

A few nights ago we watched To Have and Have Not. I liked it but it was no Big Sleep or Key Largo.
    I saw the movie first. It's very hard to follow the plot in the movie, partly because it's so convoluted and partly because they left out some important stuff so the book is helpful in filling the missing info. But it's still hard to follow the plot even in the book.

To Have and Have Not is a great movie and I like it better than the other 2 you mention, tho I like those very much too. To Have and Have Not is the one example of the book being much worse than the movie that was based on it. I read somewhere that some movie producer boasted that he could make a great movie out of even the worst Hemingway book. The person he was talking to said he couldnt and thus To Have and Have Not was created. The movie is really good and has some memorable music by Hoagy Carmichael, who also acts in it. And it's where Bogey and Bacall first fell for each other, which is one of Hollywood's great enduring romances. And has some great quotes ("You know how to whistle, dont you Steve? You just put your lips together and blow.). I'd recommend watching it again.

Comment

• Took the whole family to see Jackass Forever yesterday, and while my kids loved it, my wife (who did enjoy prior Jackass movies) was appalled. There seems to be more frontal male nudity in this one, which is pretty cringey, but besides that, I'm kinda amazed these 50-somethings are still at it. It's the same old Jackass, so if you like it, you'll like it. If you don't, don't bother.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        Don't Look Up was very good - should be a shoe-in for The Best Documentary.
        I also liked Don’t Look Up. Simultaneously very entertaining, frustrating, and terrifying.
        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
          I also liked Don’t Look Up. Simultaneously very entertaining, frustrating, and terrifying.
          Just watched it today. It was funny and entertaining, but, also kind of depressing.
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          ---------------------------------------------
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Actress Daughter was over last night. We watched the 1944 Double Indemnity starring Barbra Stanwyck, Fred MacMurray, and Edward G. Robinson.

It is highly ranked on Film Noir lists. #1 on one of the google lists I looked at. Great use of lighting and shadows, snappy dialog, Acting was very good. I especially liked Robinson's performance.

Most of my Fred MacMurray experience is from the old tv show My Three Sons, so it took awhile for my brain to see him as a good bad guy rather than the wise widowed Father. But he did a nice job.

If you like old movies this is a good one.

Comment

• The new Spiderman movie was awesome!!!! Best one yet.
              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• My favorite Best Supporting role of all time is Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday in the 1993 movie Tombstone. He wasn't even nominated. Lots of politics, timing, etc.

The 1993 winner was Tommy Lee Jones for The Fugitive. It probably has been over 20 years since Mrs. Gregg and I watched it. I asked her if we could take it for spin last night. She agreed. We have forgotten how good that movie is. Set in Chicago, lots of young actors with small rolls that would go to fame in their own right. Lot's of fun.

One of the guards looked familiar to me. Turns out it was Otis Wilson outside linebacker for the 1985 Super Bowl Champion Chicago Bears. One degree of separation from Otis. We met him and his wife at Carson's Ribs in the City after a game..

Comment

• The Batman was great, even if it was extremely long. Robert Pattinson was fantastic as Batman, and played him even in a far darker way than Christian Bale did. The entire movie was dark, taking place at night and/or in the rain. I was shocked to learn afterwards that Colin Farrell played The Penguin, as he was totally unrecognizable.

Comment

• I've not been much of a Mad Max fan, saw the first movie several years ago and kinda hated it. Turned off Fury Road 15 mins or less into it. But I had a vague memory of enjoying Mad Max 2 as a kid, and upon a friend's recommendation, I watched it again. Fucking great. Mel is fine, but the side characters are insane: Feral child, helicopter snake guy, and a great Vernon Wells performance (Commando chain mail guy!)... just super dumb and fun.
                    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                      I've not been much of a Mad Max fan, saw the first movie several years ago and kinda hated it. Turned off Fury Road 15 mins or less into it. But I had a vague memory of enjoying Mad Max 2 as a kid, and upon a friend's recommendation, I watched it again. Fucking great. Mel is fine, but the side characters are insane: Feral child, helicopter snake guy, and a great Vernon Wells performance (Commando chain mail guy!)... just super dumb and fun.
                      Fury Road was awesome. Non-stop action.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                        I loved all the Mad Max movies to one degree or another but Fury Road might have been the best one. The Road Warrior is probably still my favorite but Fury Road was exceelent. Just watched it again the other day - still great.

Comment

I'm sure I'll give Fury Road another go. I'm really excited for Beyond Thunderdome next!
                          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

The Batman was great, even if it was extremely long. Robert Pattinson was fantastic as Batman, and played him even in a far darker way than Christian Bale did. The entire movie was dark, taking place at night and/or in the rain. I was shocked to learn afterwards that Colin Farrell played The Penguin, as he was totally unrecognizable.
                            Thought it was exccellent as well. Not sure how great I thought Pattinson was, I didn't think it called for a ton of acting by him, but the film was great. I'd put it up against any other batman outside of The Dark Knight, solely because of Heath Ledger's Joker made that movie amazing.
                            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• We watched 12 Moneys last night. Enjoyed it very much. We are not sure how we never got around to watching it. Acting was great.

We were especially impressed with Brad Pitt's Jeffrey Goines. So much so we wondered if he was up for an Oscar. Turns out he was nominated for Best Supporting Actor. He lost to Kevin Spacey's Usual Suspects. Pitt was worth the price of admission all by himself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                                We watched 12 Moneys last night. Enjoyed it very much. We are not sure how we never got around to watching it. Acting was great.

We were especially impressed with Brad Pitt's Jeffrey Goines. So much so we wondered if he was up for an Oscar. Turns out he was nominated for Best Supporting Actor. He lost to Kevin Spacey's Usual Suspects. Pitt was worth the price of admission all by himself.
                                Excellent movie indeed.
                                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                                X