It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    Nice one! I guess you can't bet on the Oscars in PA, because DK didn't have it on the app. They did have a free to enter pool. I got 10 of 18, winner nailed 17 of 18 (all but Best Picture).
    yes, this year was only NJ and IN.
    but PA has been one year behind just about everything NJ does - so ahead of most of the pack - and I'll bet they approve Oscars betting next year.

NJ is aggressive, but they did not permit betting on what turned out to be a rigged Slam Dunk Contest Saturday night. so they know what they are doing. PA is smart to take notes on what their more experienced neighbor does.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
      Knives Out is a lot of fun.
      It was a lot of fun.

My daughter and I watched it and we really enjoyed it.

Comment

• good movie called alita. 7.3 rating on imdb which is fairly high. watched it and can vouch. it's worth it.

Comment

Saw Terminator: Dark Fate last night. Meh. It started out fine.....but then just got more and more monotonous. The action and effects were good, but it was kinda like a Wile E. Coyote vs. Roadrunner as a live action movie. Plus, I think they erased 35 years of Terminator history in one fell swoop.
          it's time travel. they followed the rules of it. it's logically consistent. i thought Linda Hamilton still had a nice ass.

whoever that 6ft + tall woman, new actor, that went back to save them was extraordinary.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
            it's time travel. they followed the rules of it. it's logically consistent. i thought Linda Hamilton still had a nice ass.

whoever that 6ft + tall woman, new actor, that went back to save them was extraordinary.
            Yeah, I get that, but sometimes, you leave well enough alone. It's like when Dallas ended, it was all a dream. Many just roll their eyes at that.

And I agree with you about everything else!

Comment

• 1917 was ok. if you want to watch a better ww1 movie imo watch 2001 the lost battalion. i think that was even a made for tv movie. and war horse was better than both.

is it better to find peace or stay in good health? i think i'd rather be in bad health but find peace than good health and not.

Comment

• you might like the war movie legiony

Comment

• Horror movie streaming service Shudder is free for 30 days with the code SHUTIN

If you're not a horror fan, I highly recommend these international movies:
                  - One Cut of the Dead
                  - Tigers Are Not Afraid (my wife loved this one)
                  - A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
                  ... and these documentaries:
                  - Horror Noire
                  - King Cohen
                  - Eli Roth's History of Horror

They have these classics:
                  - Halloween
                  - Escape from New York
                  - Re-Animator
                  - The Old Dark House

I will probably be watching these next:
                  - Mayhem
                  - Train to Busan
                  - The Dead Lands

On Amazon, I recently watched the comedy-horror "Tucker and Dale vs Evil"- loved it - Tyler Labine gives one of the best performances I've seen in any movie. My wife loved this one as well.
                  people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                    Horror movie streaming service Shudder is free for 30 days with the code SHUTIN

- One Cut of the Dead
                    - Horror Noire
                    - King Cohen

- Halloween
                    - Escape from New York
                    - Re-Animator
                    - The Old Dark House

- Mayhem
                    - Train to Busan
                    - The Dead Lands

On Amazon, I recently watched the comedy-horror "Tucker and Dale vs Evil"- loved it - Tyler Labine gives one of the best performances I've seen in any movie. My wife loved this one as well.
                    I watched the trailer and laughed out loud two or three times. I am in, not sure about my wife.

Comment

• Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                      Horror movie streaming service Shudder is free for 30 days with the code SHUTIN

- One Cut of the Dead
                      - Horror Noire
                      - King Cohen

- Halloween
                      - Escape from New York
                      - Re-Animator
                      - The Old Dark House

- Mayhem
                      - Train to Busan
                      - The Dead Lands

Just showed my wife the trailer. About 30 seconds in she said I have seen enough turn it off...I am in!

Comment

I saw it recently and read the book many years ago. I liked it.

If you liked this, have you seen the Hulu mini-series 11/22/63?
                        Cruising this thread to find movies for my wife and I to watch I came upon this from last year.

We finished it up yesterday. We really enjoyed it.

Sarah Gadon just may be the most wholesome nicest character of all time. Her portrayal was not cheese.

All of the actors except James Franco did an amazing job. Franco was serviceable and had his moments. The filming was excellent. The set design was outstanding. If you like old cars this small detail was a lot of fun. Good twists and turns. All in all a fun ride.

Comment

• i was bored last night so i decided to watch wonder woman again for the second time. hoping that i didn't remember as much and it would be great again. and it was. i noticed that the action really started right away when the germans landed in Themyscira. it was beautiful the way she was so confident but awkward in her new environment. the way she challenged the people once she understood more. and that's really what the movie was about. everyone finding their strength in their own way. one of the guys in the movie even pointed it out. and this gives a human element to super heroes. it makes them able to empathize. as strong as wonder woman is, and she's as top 10 in abilities, she's a god, you never want a hero to be too powerful, but if they are you want them to be humble too.

the scene when she first got to the front lines is probably one of the best superhero scenes ever. and it took a woman holding her baby to get her attention and tell her to stop listening to the men about what to do and use her strength. and when she got pissed off and put her war face one, we didn't get to see it, but a soldier looking at her was like oh shit. and the action scene was pretty good. when she turned around and the guys were behind her and she looked approvingly. it was like the movie was believing in something you couldn't be sure of. and people wondered if she was crazy or telling the truth. which made it an action movie, but also sort of a drama. it's a movie that inspires you to get up and do something with your life. it was a movie that followed all of the rules of a great superhero origin story.

some pretty good quotes in the movie.

Fighting doesn't make you a hero. If loss makes you doubt your belief in justice, then you never truly believed in justice at all. I will fight for those who cannot fight for themselves. Now I know, that only love can truly save the world

I guess I gotta try. My father told me once, ‘if you see something wrong happening in the world, you can either do nothing, or you can do something.’ And I already tried nothing

If you need to stop an asteroid, you call Superman. If you need to solve a mystery, you call Batman. But if you need to end a war, you call Wonder Woman.

I used to want to save the world. To end war and bring peace to mankind. But then, I glimpsed the darkness that lives within their light. And I learned that inside every one of them, there will always be both. A choice each must make for themselves.

Peace is a virtue. A state of mind, a disposition for benevolence, confidence and justice. It is not simply the absence of war.

You are stronger than you believe. You have greater powers than you know

Comment

i was bored last night so i decided to watch wonder woman again for the second time. hoping that i didn't remember as much and it would be great again. and it was. i noticed that the action really started right away when the germans landed in Themyscira. it was beautiful the way she was so confident but awkward in her new environment. the way she challenged the people once she understood more. and that's really what the movie was about. everyone finding their strength in their own way. one of the guys in the movie even pointed it out. and this gives a human element to super heroes. it makes them able to empathize. as strong as wonder woman is, and she's as top 10 in abilities, she's a god, you never want a hero to be too powerful, but if they are you want them to be humble too.

the scene when she first got to the front lines is probably one of the best superhero scenes ever. and it took a woman holding her baby to get her attention and tell her to stop listening to the men about what to do and use her strength. and when she got pissed off and put her war face one, we didn't get to see it, but a soldier looking at her was like oh shit. and the action scene was pretty good. when she turned around and the guys were behind her and she looked approvingly. it was like the movie was believing in something you couldn't be sure of. and people wondered if she was crazy or telling the truth. which made it an action movie, but also sort of a drama. it's a movie that inspires you to get up and do something with your life. it was a movie that followed all of the rules of a great superhero origin story.

some pretty good quotes in the movie.

Fighting doesn't make you a hero. If loss makes you doubt your belief in justice, then you never truly believed in justice at all. I will fight for those who cannot fight for themselves. Now I know, that only love can truly save the world

I guess I gotta try. My father told me once, ‘if you see something wrong happening in the world, you can either do nothing, or you can do something.’ And I already tried nothing

If you need to stop an asteroid, you call Superman. If you need to solve a mystery, you call Batman. But if you need to end a war, you call Wonder Woman.

I used to want to save the world. To end war and bring peace to mankind. But then, I glimpsed the darkness that lives within their light. And I learned that inside every one of them, there will always be both. A choice each must make for themselves.

Peace is a virtue. A state of mind, a disposition for benevolence, confidence and justice. It is not simply the absence of war.

You are stronger than you believe. You have greater powers than you know
                            Watch 11.22.63 it is right up your alley. Heck you could have written it.

Plus I would really like to read what you think of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                              Watch 11.22.63 it is right up your alley. Heck you could have written it.

Plus I would really like to read what you think of it.
                              i never heard of it before. it looks interesting. i'll check it out and see what so-called laws of logic are being applied. if JJ Abrams is involved it's probably pretty good.

believing in time travel is actually a new thing for me. i was always into the idea but i was always reserved to the fact you could only go forwards. and i was able to get that a long time ago. but i thought that was all we could do. space slows down, matter shrinks to the observer. just even having a discussion about the real possibility of going backwards makes the universe special. understanding what you do in space also affects time. forward time travel is straight forward. but if you can twist space into a loop, like a race track, and then go around it really fast, time will also be affected. backwards. it's totally theoretically possible.

it's the logic that is the hard part to figure out not the mathematics. we already moved on from whether or not it's possible to what would happen after. what kind of unknown law would you find. whether or not you'd be able to change the future is a good question. on one hand you could say no-one has traveled backwards yet and that's the reason we don't see any. or you could say people in the future have, but the reason we don't notice it is because they can't change anything.

Comment

i never heard of it before. it looks interesting. i'll check it out and see what so-called laws of logic are being applied. if JJ Abrams is involved it's probably pretty good.

believing in time travel is actually a new thing for me. i was always into the idea but i was always reserved to the fact you could only go forwards. and i was able to get that a long time ago. but i thought that was all we could do. space slows down, matter shrinks to the observer. just even having a discussion about the real possibility of going backwards makes the universe special. understanding what you do in space also affects time. forward time travel is straight forward. but if you can twist space into a loop, like a race track, and then go around it really fast, time will also be affected. backwards. it's totally theoretically possible.

it's the logic that is the hard part to figure out not the mathematics. we already moved on from whether or not it's possible to what would happen after. what kind of unknown law would you find. whether or not you'd be able to change the future is a good question. on one hand you could say no-one has traveled backwards yet and that's the reason we don't see any. or you could say people in the future have, but the reason we don't notice it is because they can't change anything.
                                Yep, you are going to love it.

Comment

Working...
                                X