No announcement yet.

It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The lame title "Inside Game" may doom it, but this month a movie came out about disgraced NBA ref Tim Donaghy, who was part of a gambling scandal more than a decade ago.

if you can find it, the movie isn't bad. for those unfamiliar with the saga, they'd probably think this is a clever if barely plausible - which, they don't know, actually happened. they also get the intersection of referees, players, and trainers right - and the possibilities opened up because of it.

Scott Wolf from "Party of Five" has one of the three key roles. these guys were all Philly-area guys who grew up together in Catholic school. the characters are kinda, well, gritty.

I can picture fans of the movie "Scarface" thinking, "Geesh, these guys toss out f-bombs a LOT!"

no major violence, though - just one of those schemes that starts to spiral out of control, and then what happens?
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• I enjoyed the new Terminator. The villain was cool. I enjoyed the simple concept, basically a T-800 and T-1000 merge together and can split apart into 2 fighting machines. Linda Hamilton was good with what she had to work with, although it came off a little one note, as her character is a hardened badass, but not given any real emotional range.

Arnold's character in this is really bizarre. 50% of his lines are jokes. His back story from the last few decades is insane, but I like that they made bold choices for him, if a little on the silly side. I'll leave it at that to avoid spoilers.

Overall, I rank it in line with T3. Not close to the first 2, but worthy of its place in the series.
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• I loved the other new Arnold movie that just came out, The Game Changers. I've been vegan for 8 years, and I've never strongly related to the animal welfare aspect. I've mostly been drawn to veganism for the health benefits, and sustainability aspect. Before going vegan, my weight reached 230 lbs a few times. Since going vegan, 158-172 lbs. Prior, I was told I was pre-diabetic. No more. Blood pressure used to be elevated, the last time I had it taken, they told me it was "perfect". I have some bad food habits and I'm pretty lazy, but the vegan diet makes it easy to at least stay slim and relatively healthy.

This documentary looks entirely at the health aspects of veganism without turning viewers away by showing images of animal agriculture. Oh, and within a week of watching it, I was getting a massage, and the masseuse told me he had just gone vegan. Sure enough, it was Game Changers that made him try to convert. I love it.

Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• 51gTkvSS7DL._SY445_.jpg

Very good.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I got the Shudder streaming service for one move - "Tigers are not afraid". Money well spent. It's not horror in the jump-scare/gore vain. Most similar film I've seen is Pan's Labyrinth (and it was highly recommended by both Guillermo del Toro and Stephen King.) It's subtitled (Mexican indy film, written & directed by Issa López)

Other things I've liked on Shudder include "A girl walks home alone at night" (Iranian film, written & directed by Ana Lily Amirpour), "Horror Noire" (documentary about horror movies & black audiences) and "Halloween" (the original - John Carpenter's movies seem to age surprisingly well)
            people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Knives Out was entertaining.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                Knives Out was entertaining.
                Yep, fun movie, great cast.
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                  Yep, fun movie, great cast.
                  That's what she said.
                  “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• Once Upon a Time in Hollywood....hmmm. It certainly wasn't bad, and Tarantino left no detail about 1969 Los Angeles out. But it seems like he had a single, interesting idea that he tried to extend into 2 hours and 40 minutes, and in hindsight, much of the story was fluff rather than being totally necessary. An hour could have been chopped and no one would've missed it. Some scenes were just to provide proof that the 60s were indeed swinging. It's likely a movie you'll see once and never again.

Comment

• I took my wife and 12 year old daughter to see the new Jumanji movie and we all loved it. I'm not a Kevin Hart fan, but he was great doing an elderly Danny Glover impersonation. The Rock channeling Danny Devito had less longevity, but still worked as a fun twist. Jack Black's ebonics were toned down just enough to not be distracting. Joe Jonas still cannot act to save his life. Overall, an exceellent movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                        Once Upon a Time in Hollywood....hmmm. It certainly wasn't bad, and Tarantino left no detail about 1969 Los Angeles out. But it seems like he had a single, interesting idea that he tried to extend into 2 hours and 40 minutes, and in hindsight, much of the story was fluff rather than being totally necessary. An hour could have been chopped and no one would've missed it. Some scenes were just to provide proof that the 60s were indeed swinging. It's likely a movie you'll see once and never again.
                        My post #1771 definitely disagrees with you.

I am looking forward to seeing it again (as is Mrs.Gregg). We intend on watching it with her parents most likely over the Christmas Holidays.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                          I took my wife and 12 year old daughter to see the new Jumanji movie and we all loved it. I'm not a Kevin Hart fan, but he was great doing an elderly Danny Glover impersonation. The Rock channeling Danny Devito had less longevity, but still worked as a fun twist. Jack Black's ebonics were toned down just enough to not be distracting. Joe Jonas still cannot act to save his life. Overall, an exceellent movie.
                          I am glad to read this. We enjoyed the last one but didn't get all that excited by the trailer we saw. Back on the list!

Comment

• My wife and I saw Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood and felt it was sneakily powerful. There are some very thought provoking emotions in it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                              I took my wife and 12 year old daughter to see the new Jumanji movie and we all loved it. I'm not a Kevin Hart fan, but he was great doing an elderly Danny Glover impersonation. The Rock channeling Danny Devito had less longevity, but still worked as a fun twist. Jack Black's ebonics were toned down just enough to not be distracting. Joe Jonas still cannot act to save his life. Overall, an exceellent movie.
                              But Nick Jonas can!!
                              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                                But Nick Jonas can!!
                                Who??
                                “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

Working...
                                X