No announcement yet.

It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I sure didn't see many good films in 2017.

I missed most (all?) the action blockbusters.

I finally watched one of last year's supposedly "best films" and thought it was garbage. Hell Or High Water is one of the worst and dumbest apologies to middle America that I've ever witnessed. I think my taste is changing, or maybe it was something specific about this film... I've never enjoyed films with scummy protagonists so much... I've never watched the original Bad Lieutenant for example, because it just doesn't interest me, watching a scumbag cop and his goings-on (although I did enjoy the Nic Cage spiritual sequel)... I'm just weird like that I guess.

A few I enjoyed:

Coco is an awesome family film. One of the best, I'd say. It reminded me a lot of another beautiful and well-told kids movie Kubo and the Two Strings.

Get Out is a brilliant horror movie. 2017 is the year of white supremacy, so it's fitting that we see a horror film trying to capture the uneasiness of being black in America. Mandatory viewing.

Brigsby Bear is a film by some current SNL cast members, and while I think the SNL cast needs to be broken up desperately these days, this movie was a total surprise as something that I found myself thinking about for days or weeks after watching. Smart writing, and an unpredictable main character held my interest the entire film. You never know where it's going, and the central plot is really a fascinating one.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• just rewatched Rogue One, tons better than the Last Jedi
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Saw The Big Sick & Spotlight on recent Delta flights. Highly recommend both

Comment

• Saw Bright on Netflix last night. Really not nearly as bad as some of the reviews suggest. On RT, it has a 29% rating among critics yet 88% among the audience.

Comment

• Saw a couple of movies over break

Jumanji was actually more fun than you may think- ok Kevin Hart has one joke (he is short and loud) but the characters and action was pretty amusing

Call me by your name was very very good - solid coming of age story - beautiful scenery, careful period elements, the professor dad (Richard Stahlberg) is tremendous

Downsizing was not a comedy and had some head scratching dialog from trying too hard

The Disaster Artist - I didnt see it but my college age son swears that it was great and he does have cinematic taste (and doesnt like dreck)

LadyBird - wife and daughter said it was good but not the great movie people keep claiming it to be

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
              Saw a couple of movies over break

Jumanji was actually more fun than you may think- ok Kevin Hart has one joke (he is short and loud) but the characters and action was pretty amusing

Call me by your name was very very good - solid coming of age story - beautiful scenery, careful period elements, the professor dad (Richard Stahlberg) is tremendous

Downsizing was not a comedy and had some head scratching dialog from trying too hard

The Disaster Artist - I didnt see it but my college age son swears that it was great and he does have cinematic taste (and doesnt like dreck)

LadyBird - wife and daughter said it was good but not the great movie people keep claiming it to be
              My wife and I loved Jumanji. We like to go to movies for fun, this was fun. I liked it much more than I thought I would. Found myself laughing quite a bit.

Karen Gillian was outstanding.

Comment

• The Shape of Water is excellent.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Saw Hostiles over the weekend. Very good ... uncompromising ... future classic western status IMO.

Comment

• Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - very mediocre. I'm amazed that this movie is getting so much attention. Ridiculous characters, absurd coincidence everywhere, intentional farcical humour (they decided to play this as a farce????), some terrible acting and scripting ... sure also some fine acting ... but fine acting of ridiculous characters that make no sense. Sam Rockwell's character was so stupid, and the performance was seriously over hammed ... he should be a front runner for a Razzie (as should the script writers) not an Oscar.

If I didn't see the media praise for this movie I'd think ... "meh ... not bad ... bizarre ... but would not recommend". In the context of the overwhelmingly gushing response, it's a bad movie completely undeserving of any award IMO (except Golden Raspberry's).

Contrasting this with Hostiles ... night and day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve
                      Wonder Woman was awesome! (Saw it 16 times in the theatres.)
                      Proof required!

(and fixed)

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                        The Shape of Water is excellent.
                        I think it is a beautiful movie - the choices of aquas and browns in the color palette was perfect to set the tone. The shots were incredibly well done to create a mood.

I am not sure if there was enough of a story though -
                        It is the exact same story with every plot line being predictable - see ET - see any outsider trapped by the mean men and kidnapped by the good people movie

even with those complaints I still thought it was very solid - still liked Call Me by Your Name more though (it gets the nod because or Richard Stahlberg's speech as a dad towards the end)

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                          Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - very mediocre. I'm amazed that this movie is getting so much attention. Ridiculous characters, absurd coincidence everywhere, intentional farcical humour (they decided to play this as a farce????), some terrible acting and scripting ... sure also some fine acting ... but fine acting of ridiculous characters that make no sense. Sam Rockwell's character was so stupid, and the performance was seriously over hammed ... he should be a front runner for a Razzie (as should the script writers) not an Oscar.

If I didn't see the media praise for this movie I'd think ... "meh ... not bad ... bizarre ... but would not recommend". In the context of the overwhelmingly gushing response, it's a bad movie completely undeserving of any award IMO (except Golden Raspberry's).
                          Agreed, way overhyped. I felt the same way about Ladybird. I've dramatically reduced my expectations for hyped movies so I was still able to enjoy both, but neither was deserving of serious accolades.
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                            I think it is a beautiful movie - the choices of aquas and browns in the color palette was perfect to set the tone. The shots were incredibly well done to create a mood.

I am not sure if there was enough of a story though -
                            It is the exact same story with every plot line being predictable - see ET - see any outsider trapped by the mean men and kidnapped by the good people movie

even with those complaints I still thought it was very solid - still liked Call Me by Your Name more though (it gets the nod because or Richard Stahlberg's speech as a dad towards the end)
                            True, the plotline wasn't original, but the way it was presented was still inventive. The music was great too. Haven't seen CMBYN yet.
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

why would I make that up?
                              No kidding but evets might......

Comment

why would I make that up? Saw Justice League 7 times.
                                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                                X