No announcement yet.

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

- the International Skating Union bans all Russian skaters from any tournament indefinitely
    - Apple has stopped selling iPhones in Russia

Comment

While I wish Biden had been a lot more explicit about the dangers of fascism abroad (Putin) and at home (Maga), his SOTU was a good one, if a little bit all over the place. With each passing second, I was reminded of how glad I am that he is President during this time of crisis and not Putin's orange lapdog. Imagine what a fucking nightmare that would be.
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

“Can you imagine if [Putin] went into France? Would they do anything to put up a fight? Probably not.” - Ron DeSantis

With allies like the GOP, who needs enemies?
        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

And the Russian Ambassador is parroting the Republicans' Big Lie to try and delegitimize the U.S. by referring to “the United States, where the legitimately elected president of the country was overthrown.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
            While I wish Biden had been a lot more explicit about the dangers of fascism abroad (Putin) and at home (Maga), his SOTU was a good one, if a little bit all over the place. With each passing second, I was reminded of how glad I am that he is President during this time of crisis and not Putin's orange lapdog. Imagine what a fucking nightmare that would be.
            Something like this:
            "I just talked with Vladimer Putin. We had a wonderful conversation. He's really not a bad guy like the mainstream media portrays him. All he wants to do is liberate his neighbors from their oppressive leaders. He's trying to liberate his neighbors as peacefully as he possibly can. I told him that I would never impose sanctions against his country like the Democrats seem to want. He told me that after this is over with, he and I will get together on the golf course and discuss plans for building my new hotel in Moscow."
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
              And the Russian Ambassador is parroting the Republicans' Big Lie to try and delegitimize the U.S. by referring to “the United States, where the legitimately elected president of the country was overthrown.”
              People who live in glass houses...
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                Something like this:
                "I just talked with Vladimer Putin. We had a wonderful conversation. He's really not a bad guy like the mainstream media portrays him. All he wants to do is liberate his neighbors from their oppressive leaders. He's trying to liberate his neighbors as peacefully as he possibly can. I told him that I would never impose sanctions against his country like the Democrats seem to want. He told me that after this is over with, he and I will get together on the golf course and discuss plans for building my new hotel in Moscow."
                Those are complete sentences without any real "clever" insults. Also had vocabulary like "liberate" and "oppressive." This doesn't fit the Trump formula.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                  Those are complete sentences without any real "clever" insults. Also had vocabulary like "liberate" and "oppressive." This doesn't fit the Trump formula.
                  Two syllable max.
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    Now that we've seen Russians take to the streets in protest and heard stories of low morale among Russian troops, what better way to drive that morale lower than by a concerted worldwide effort? Ban all Russian teams from international sporting events, including soccer. Companies should close every Russian location they have, even temporarily. Cut off all trade to Russia of any type of consumer good. Every major airline should cease all flights to Russia.

A few analysts have said no matter how it plays out militarily, this will end badly for Putin. He's completely underestimated the world mood for 1960s-style colonialism.
                    Companies have been reading RJ, lol!

"IKEA, the world’s biggest furniture brand, is closing its stores in Russia and pausing all sourcing in the country and ally Belarus, joining the wave of Western firms curbing business with Russia after its invasion of Ukraine."
                    IKEA is closing its stores in Russia and pausing all sourcing in the country and ally Belarus, curbing business with Russia after its invasion of Ukraine.

Comment

• Maybe I have not paid attention in the past, but my perceptions of the effectiveness of economic sanctions has changed with the global response to Russia, both at the level of nations and by multinational companies. The response seems more sweeping than I've ever seen. Many have talked about how much long term planning has gone into this invasion and how prepared Russia was to weather any and all sanctions. Many have insisted they would not matter when weighed against Putin's ambitious to take Ukraine and restore some former USSR glory that he perceives has been lost. I would be surprised if he/they planned for this level of economic disruption. Only a stubborn refusal to admit to defeat pushes Putin on at this point, but since doing so would have him and Russia lose face, I don't see a good way out. The best that can be hoped for is the high level of Ukraine resistance and the international response will give Ukraine enough leverage to keep Russia for toppling its democratically elected government completely, but even then, I think Russia won't bow out and admit defeat. They will demand Crimea and the two separatist controlled regions in the East by officially recognized as no longer part of Ukraine, and a guarantee that Ukraine never joins NATO. I don't know if Ukraine will do that, but given the alternative, I don't know what choice they will have.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                        Maybe I have not paid attention in the past, but my perceptions of the effectiveness of economic sanctions has changed with the global response to Russia, both at the level of nations and by multinational companies. The response seems more sweeping than I've ever seen.
                        I agree, this has surprised me as well

Comment

• Sabre Corp. on Thursday said it terminated a global distribution agreement with Russia’s Aeroflot, crippling the country’s largest airline’s ability to sell seats.

The Texas-based airline software giant provides ticket distribution and reservation services for carriers around the world. Sabre’s decision to end the distribution agreement means Aeroflot’s flights won’t show up on online travel agencies or other third-party sites. Aeroflot didn’t immediately comment.

It is the latest measure that has isolated Russia’s airlines since the country invaded Ukraine last week.

Boeing, General Electric and other aerospace manufacturers have suspended parts distribution and service agreements with Russia as countries, led by the U.S. and European nations, impose sanctions in protest of Russia’s invasion. The U.S. and Europe have cut Russia’s access to their airspace.

Comment

• Seems like a sneaky way to nuke the country without nuking it.

Comment

Working...
                            X