Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the right World Islam policy/strategy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good stuff Bhob..

Great summary from Juan Cole.

The late science fiction writer Ray Bradbury authored a short story about time travelers. They were careful, when they went …

Also, the Onion nails it. NSFW?

WASHINGTON—Following the publication of the image above, in which the most cherished figures from multiple religious faiths were depicted engaging in a lascivious sex act of considerable depravity, no one was murdered, beaten, or had their lives threatened, sources reported Thursday. The image of the Hebrew prophet…
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by dmt View Post
      good stuff bhob..

Great summary from juan cole.

The late science fiction writer Ray Bradbury authored a short story about time travelers. They were careful, when they went …

also, the onion nails it. Nsfw?

http://www.theonion.com/articles/no-...s-image,29553/
      Hahahahaha. Definitely NSFW. What kind of company do you work for that would allow such a thing to be viewed.
      Last edited by JudeBaldo; 09-14-2012, 01:29 PM.

Comment

:ROFL:
        Originally posted by Roto Rooter View Post
        LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Yeah lets compare the crusades to modern day terrorism.
        yeah because killing Muslims in the name of Christ centuries ago is Soooooo different than killing Christians in the name of Allah today.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          :ROFL:

yeah because killing Muslims in the name of Christ centuries ago is Soooooo different than killing Christians in the name of Allah today.
          Frighteningly enough, I agree with RotoRooter on this point. "Centuries ago" versus "today" is more than enough to qualify it as "Sooooooo different". The Crusades are not a legitimate justification or excuse for modern day Islamic terrorism.

Comment

Justification? Of course not. Contributing cultural cause? Absolutely. Do you think that the Crusades are not in the minds of today's radicals, Brian? Hell, the tag instantly applied to US forces in 1990/1 was "Crusaders", and the image of Salah al-Din is still the overwhelming military hero of the culture. We saw the wars in the former Yugoslavia enflamed by the Battle of Kosovo, fought in the 1380s. We still live with the strategic impact of the Armenian Genocide. How many centuries into the future will the Holocaust echo? No, I don't see the relevance of the Crusades to modern strife so easily dismissed at all.
            "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
              Frighteningly enough, I agree with RotoRooter on this point. "Centuries ago" versus "today" is more than enough to qualify it as "Sooooooo different". The Crusades are not a legitimate justification or excuse for modern day Islamic terrorism.
              wasn't meant to be a justification. Rooter's comments inferred that only Islam kills others in the name of their God and that's just not the case and just as slavery and racism may be centuries apart, they are related, as are the atrocities one faith has rained down on another over time are to today's conflicts. As Bhob has said, this is now more of a socoi-economic battle, but it's still rooted in the age ol battle between Christians, Jews and Muslims.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

If we're trying to build consensus around an American approach to Islam, then I think it's foolish to traffic in equivalency retorts to conservatives who point out that Muslim radicals pose a greater risk for violent terrorism than Christian, Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu or Rastafarian radicals. You lose about half of this country out of the gate with that argument. Bob's points about digging into the economic/societal/political conditions that contribute to those higher levels of violent rage are important. I don't want to see those points lost to half of America because of casual suggestions about equivalency.

Comment

Denial of facts doesn't make them go away. If we can't confront them head on, we can't move forward.
                  "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

I am OK with drone strikes as they do a needed job with far, far less collateral damage than would less precise forms of strike. They also limit escalation by taking downed human pilots out of the picture, so no CSAR missions with their attendant flak suppression, captured pilots being tortured, special forces operators on the ground carrying out missions, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                      I don't know that we can have much success convincing the true believers not to hate us and those who are so inclined to attempt terrorist acts against us. But I do think that the majority of the world's Muslims, even in the countries most prone to sympathy for terrorism, can be nudged away from support for violence. That in itself is no easy task, but I don't think it's a strategy that we should abandon entirely.

So do you think invading and occupying their land and killing their people with drones leads to more or less sympathy for terrorism ?
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

p8yRb.jpg

how do you make pictures bigger in a post?

Comment

is it really hard to believe that ppl in the muslim world, who are oppressed by their governments, would focus on us instead? if both the muslim people of pro-american and anti-american governments do it, then let them have their own democratic government.

if you don't think that works, is democracy really that weak. ..because it's a lot better trying to do it now than later. if this were cards it would be our last chance. like trying to catch one hard to get card, for the best hand. the democracy card. that's the course we're on. gotta stick with it. there's no other hand left to play.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                            Anti-US protests are spreading all over the place due to this movie. I am so incredibly sick of all brands religious extremists. Just saw a picture of a little kid in Sidney, Australia of all places holding a sign that said "Behead all those who insult the prophet." Ugh.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

there is no such thing, in the natural world, as a wind that is both wicked and whispering.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                                there is no such thing, in the natural world, as a wind that is both wicked and whispering.
                                you've never played the OF in Candlestick.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X