The new COVID thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I should clarify--I do not mourn his passing in a vacuum. I agree, he brought it on himself, and if his death leads anyone else who shared his beliefs reason to reconsider, it will only go a short way in negating the harm he spent the latter part of his life spreading. My sadness is for his wife, who was not an anti-masker, and his children, and more broadly, for the absolutely misguided convictions of people like them that lead them to die and kill in the name of what they believe is a righteous cause. In that way, I liken him more to a terrorist than a drunk driver. Drunk drivers generally don't have strong convictions about the righteousness of drunk driving that lead them to preach its merit to others. So, no, I don't mourn his death at all in a vacuum. He got what was coming to him, but like many terrorists, he seemed to really believe his wrong words and actions were righteous. That is a dangerous thing for all, as we continue to see.
    I was thinking of both those analogies last night after my post. I started with the drunk driver and while my wife and I were debating belief and if believing fervently was in any way a justification, she stated that the Isis-K member who blew himself and 170 people held deep convictions in a similar manner to the San Angelo guy. Thus the terrorist analogy.

I believe these people who refuse the vaccine range from the thoughtless drunk driver to the zealous terrorist.

One question..... Are those who survive these antivaxxer/maskers, but double down on their dangerous rhetoric-even worse than the one they just lost or am I being too harsh in believing so?
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
      I was thinking of both those analogies last night after my post. I started with the drunk driver and while my wife and I were debating belief and if believing fervently was in any way a justification, she stated that the Isis-K member who blew himself and 170 people held deep convictions in a similar manner to the San Angelo guy. Thus the terrorist analogy.

I believe these people who refuse the vaccine range from the thoughtless drunk driver to the zealous terrorist.

One question..... Are those who survive these antivaxxer/maskers, but double down on their dangerous rhetoric-even worse than the one they just lost or am I being too harsh in believing so?
      It is hard for me to make much of a distinction between the two groups, because my perspective is the wrongness of their actions is so obvious from the start. However, sure, the people who double down even after their beliefs are directly and personally refuted could be considered worse. Some might consider them better, because their convictions did not waiver, even when the worst case outcomes affected them directly.

Comment

Eric Clapton, already a racist and fascist supporting POS, has further cemented his legacy of being a douchebag by putting out some crappy anti-vaxx anthem.
        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Conservative commentators and radio/TV personalities dying left and right of COVID, including a guy who called himself "Mr. Anti-Vaxx". This particular one made one final tweet in which he compared the push to get citizens vaccinated to Naziism. He follows in the unfortunate footsteps of other right wing personalities being hoisted by their own petards, including another guy whose last social media message was encouraging others, like himself, to get ivermectin. He died shortly thereafter.
          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
            Conservative commentators and radio/TV personalities dying left and right of COVID, including a guy who called himself "Mr. Anti-Vaxx". This particular one made one final tweet in which he compared the push to get citizens vaccinated to Naziism. He follows in the unfortunate footsteps of other right wing personalities being hoisted by their own petards, including another guy whose last social media message was encouraging others, like himself, to get ivermectin. He died shortly thereafter.
            I wish this would make a difference to more covid/vaccine skeptics. I know a few will reconsider, but i have faith a majority wont. So frustrating
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Had to grab a ride home from the Auto Mechanics today. My driver was an obvious non masker, but said she was vaccinated. I kept my mask on. For the 25 min drive she continually complained about Covid protocols, how she should have a choice, how she moved to this country to have that choice, how people are gonna die anyway etc. It was a non stop rambling mixture of persecutions, anti intellectual garbage and disgust. I thought to interject, but could tell--it wasn't worth the effort. SO, I just kept wearing my mask and looking forward to the ride ending.

It's fuckling hilariously sad that the Anti Covidians and Anti Vaxxers feel like the persecuted, when it's their actions/inactions who are impacting others in a detrimental way.

Bizzarro..
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Had to grab a ride home from the Auto Mechanics today. My driver was an obvious non masker, but said she was vaccinated.
                I prescribe extra Woodford Reserve tonight.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  I prescribe extra Woodford Reserve tonight.
                  After replacing the Clutch and getting new brakes, I'm gonna have to go cheaper :P

(though I am fully stocked for this evening)

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Had to grab a ride home from the Auto Mechanics today. My driver was an obvious non masker, but said she was vaccinated. I kept my mask on. For the 25 min drive she continually complained about Covid protocols, how she should have a choice, how she moved to this country to have that choice, how people are gonna die anyway etc. It was a non stop rambling mixture of persecutions, anti intellectual garbage and disgust. I thought to interject, but could tell--it wasn't worth the effort. SO, I just kept wearing my mask and looking forward to the ride ending.

It's fuckling hilariously sad that the Anti Covidians and Anti Vaxxers feel like the persecuted, when it's their actions/inactions who are impacting others in a detrimental way.

Bizzarro..
                    Man, with all that hot air coming out of her, I hope the windows were down. If not, I'd have pretended to take a phone call for the whole ride, just to avoid my brain for hurting.

It must be a thing with people who give rides from auto mechanics. The last time I had the pleasure, the gentlemen did not talk politics, but did spend the whole time talking down the make of car I had, which was an interesting tactic, considering it was the dealership and he worked for them. To be fair, his case against the make was that they did not know how to make trucks or SUVs and he'd never buy one from them. I had a Honda at the time. It never gave me an ounce of trouble. I was just getting a round of routine services done. But I couldn't disagree that eh Ridgeline's short cab seemed kinda pointless and the Japanese automakers seemed to know cars better than bigger vehicles. Just weird that he offered that info unsolicited when I said I was looking to upgrade to an SUV.

Comment

• I just tell these clowns what I really think. My wife does not allow me to speak to people anymore after the last....uh...."incident". I'm tired of these people endangering my child. Fuck them. Sucks because one of them is a parent to my kid's newest best buddy. She announced proudly that she was about to lose her job as a nurse at the trauma hospital in town because she's refuses to get vaccinated and plans on retiring on all the sweet lawsuit money she's sure to get after she sues them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                        I just tell these clowns what I really think. My wife does not allow me to speak to people anymore after the last....uh...."incident". I'm tired of these people endangering my child. Fuck them. Sucks because one of them is a parent to my kid's newest best buddy. She announced proudly that she was about to lose her job as a nurse at the trauma hospital in town because she's refuses to get vaccinated and plans on retiring on all the sweet lawsuit money she's sure to get after she sues them.
                        Curious....did she already consult a legal expert on this or is she getting her info somewhere else ?
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                          I just tell these clowns what I really think. My wife does not allow me to speak to people anymore after the last....uh...."incident". I'm tired of these people endangering my child. Fuck them. Sucks because one of them is a parent to my kid's newest best buddy. She announced proudly that she was about to lose her job as a nurse at the trauma hospital in town because she's refuses to get vaccinated and plans on retiring on all the sweet lawsuit money she's sure to get after she sues them.
                          Make sure to tell her about the Houston Methodist Hospital lawsuit!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                            Curious....did she already consult a legal expert on this or is she getting her info somewhere else ?
                            Google Search, Esq.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                              Man, with all that hot air coming out of her, I hope the windows were down. If not, I'd have pretended to take a phone call for the whole ride, just to avoid my brain for hurting.

It must be a thing with people who give rides from auto mechanics. The last time I had the pleasure, the gentlemen did not talk politics, but did spend the whole time talking down the make of car I had, which was an interesting tactic, considering it was the dealership and he worked for them. To be fair, his case against the make was that they did not know how to make trucks or SUVs and he'd never buy one from them. I had a Honda at the time. It never gave me an ounce of trouble. I was just getting a round of routine services done. But I couldn't disagree that eh Ridgeline's short cab seemed kinda pointless and the Japanese automakers seemed to know cars better than bigger vehicles. Just weird that he offered that info unsolicited when I said I was looking to upgrade to an SUV.
                              LMAO--she actually spent the first few minutes of the ride complaining about her Prius advising me never to buy one....

@Bene..I would have engaged her, but she's the owner's wife and they hadn't done my estimate yet :P

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                                Make sure to tell her about the Houston Methodist Hospital lawsuit!
                                Can you imagine a hospital where the employees didn't take basic safety precautions against infectious disease? Sheesh.

Comment

Working...
                                X