The new COVID thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Are you referring to a country or region for 90% fully vaccinated? That is a lot higher than anywhere in the US. When I look up North Ireland, the UK, London, I'm not seeing numbers that high online, but that is great if it is. It certainly bolstered the ride it out argument if the vaccination rate is that high. Here, I fear it is gonna cause a lot of deaths, but folks have certainly had their chances to get vaxxed here. It is just too politicized here.
    Those numbers presumably relate to those who are eligible for vaccination (not children, youths etc), rather than the whole population.

Lies, damned lies and statistics

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      I agree. I also agree with johnny that we need to get out of lockdown mentality. These aren't mutually exclusive goals. For normal, healthy individuals, vaccinations followed by normal behavior entails extremely low risk. OTOH, there's enough non-healthy/high risk individuals that merit treatment options - cancer patients, for example, or other immune-suppressed individuals.
      i completely agree that lockdowns are not a great option. Not sure I'm 100% on board with letting Omicron run wild at this point, I'd feel better if we had more data or I had more faith that the government actually understands the risks, costs, etc. And I strongly believe we should be spending more money to figure out treatments and plans for the next wave beyond Omicron. Hearing Kamala Harris say that the administration was surprised by both Delta an Omicron really doesn't make me very optimistic. Better than calling COVID the common cold or claiming it will disappear...but also a huge failure. How could we not prepare for this ? Probably won't anticipate the next variant either.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/sto...micron-variant

“We didn’t see Delta coming. I think most scientists did not — upon whose advice and direction we have relied — didn’t see Delta coming,” she said. “We didn’t see Omicron coming. And that’s the nature of what this, this awful virus has been, which as it turns out, has mutations and variants.”
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        Those numbers presumably relate to those who are eligible for vaccination (not children, youths etc), rather than the whole population.

after all, 73.6% of all statistics are made up
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
          after all, 73.6% of all statistics are made up
          "People can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forfty percent of people know that."

-Homer Simpson-

Comment

Ah, of course. It is a moving target with eligibility. It looks like it is going to be a long while before under 5 year olds get approval. So far, the vaccination rates for 5-12 years olds is pretty low in my state, but I suspect that will change as students continue to get sent home to quarantine. It is a big incentive to get the kids vaxxed.

Comment

• We can't lock it all down and throw people in jail for violating protocol and we can't hold people down and jab em in the arm against their will (both options I'd be up for--FascistInTheHall)

BUT we can't just adopt the--some people are just gonna die--attitude. Yes, people WILL die, but we need to do everything we can to mitigate that.

The easy options are Mandate masks and vaccinations for public travel, indoor public events/activities and gatherings, schools, Churches included. hefty fines for Fake Vax cards (1-year mandatory min in jail and a 25K fine to start should dissuade people). Suggest social distancing and mitigation protocols for private gatherings and general outdoor activities. Media should inform, not fear monger with established facts and the latest data.

We'll never get to the place where we've done all we could because "we" includes people who will simply refuse to comply, but we should do all we can as individuals and I'm sure that in this group, for the most part, we have been, and we will continue to do so.

PS: Thanos was Right...
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                We can't lock it all down and throw people in jail for violating protocol and we can't hold people down and jab em in the arm against their will (both options I'd be up for--FascistInTheHall)

BUT we can't just adopt the--some people are just gonna die--attitude. Yes, people WILL die, but we need to do everything we can to mitigate that.

The easy options are Mandate masks and vaccinations for public travel, indoor public events/activities and gatherings, schools, Churches included. hefty fines for Fake Vax cards (1-year mandatory min in jail and a 25K fine to start should dissuade people). Suggest social distancing and mitigation protocols for private gatherings and general outdoor activities. Media should inform, not fear monger with established facts and the latest data.

We'll never get to the place where we've done all we could because "we" includes people who will simply refuse to comply, but we should do all we can as individuals and I'm sure that in this group, for the most part, we have been, and we will continue to do so.

PS: Thanos was Right...
                Another way to look at it is this - Omicron is the solution to the anti-vaxxer problem ... it won't be so kind as to give them a choice. If they don't want to get Vaccinated, then I hope they're fine with natural immunization.

9/10 of the seriously ill, requiring the most medical intervention in the UK, are unvaccinated. They have a choice between a harmless vaccine or very harmful virus with potentially long term effects --- either way they're getting immunized

Comment

Another way to look at it is this - Omicron is the solution to the anti-vaxxer problem ... it won't be so kind as to give them a choice. If they don't want to get Vaccinated, then I hope they're fine with natural immunization.

9/10 of the seriously ill, requiring the most medical intervention in the UK, are unvaccinated. They have a choice between a harmless vaccine or very harmful virus with potentially long term effects --- either way they're getting immunized
                  That's how you end up rostering Tuffy Rhoads...Sample Size.

I hope you're right, but in the meantime, I'm going to continue using methods that have worked to date.
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I hope you're right, but in the meantime, I'm going to continue using methods that have worked to date.
                    Agree with you, though again johnny's still right - Darwin will win, and the unvaxxed will either die or survive with significant immunity.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      Agree with you, though again johnny's still right - Darwin will win, and the unvaxxed will either die or survive with significant immunity.
                      The question is, does getting covid give you MORE immunity than the shots and booster? What about those with Breakthrough cases, shouldn't they have even MORE immunity?

Again, risking illness and/or death to gain an advantage given by the vaccine seems to me an unnecessary gamble.

I'm all for Darwin, but again--One life of someone doing the right thing lost due to others willful ignorance is one life too many in my book. But yeah, fuck the rest of those people. Let em rot.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

The question is, does getting covid give you MORE immunity than the shots and booster? What about those with Breakthrough cases, shouldn't they have even MORE immunity?
                        Data is still coming in, and conclusions are preliminary, but the answer certainly appears to be yes.

Again, risking illness and/or death to gain an advantage given by the vaccine seems to me an unnecessary gamble.
                        We agree. I got the booster as soon as I could.

Comment

• I generally agree with the ideas, and I know the "Darwin" thing is half-jest, but just to clarify, Darwin has very little to do with any of this since the majority of deaths are post reproduction age. His name gets thrown around in a lot of situations where it doesn't apply I know, this isn't uncommon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                            I generally agree with the ideas, and I know the "Darwin" thing is half-jest, but just to clarify, Darwin has very little to do with any of this since the majority of deaths are post reproduction age. His name gets thrown around in a lot of situations where it doesn't apply I know, this isn't uncommon.
                            I'd also like to publicly state here that "survival of the fittest" is a tautology. Related to this thread, I actually heard it used to by an anti-vaxxer to suggest that those without vaccinations are.....more fit? Not actually sure what the claim was, now that I try to write it down.
                            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                              I'd also like to publicly state here that "survival of the fittest" is a tautology. Related to this thread, I actually heard it used to by an anti-vaxxer to suggest that those without vaccinations are.....more fit? Not actually sure what the claim was, now that I try to write it down.
                              Darwin will get her or him, too.

Comment

• Sounds like Johnny wrote this !

Via Teleconference 11:06 A.M. EST MR. ZIENTS:  Good morning.  And thanks for joining us. Today, Dr. Walensky will give an overview of the state of the pandemic and on new practices that will help keep schools open, and Dr. Fauci will provide an update on the latest science and the importance of boosters. But before…

Today, Dr. Walensky will give an overview of the state of the pandemic and on new practices that will help keep schools open, and Dr. Fauci will provide an update on the latest science and the importance of boosters.

But before we start, I want to talk about how we should think about this moment.

As we’ve explained in prior briefings, the Omicron variant is more transmissible and our medical experts anticipate it will lead to a rise in cases.

But unlike last winter, we now have the power to protect ourselves.

Our vaccines work against Omicron, especially for people who get booster shots when they are eligible. If you are vaccinated, you could test positive. But if you do get COVID, your case will likely be asymptomatic or mild.

We are intent on not letting Omicron disrupt work and school for the vaccinated. You’ve done the right thing, and we will get through this.

For the unvaccinated, you’re looking at a winter of severe illness and death for yourselves, your families, and the hospitals you may soon overwhelm.

So, our message to every American is clear: There is action you can take to protect yourself and your family. Wear a mask in public indoor settings. Get vaccinated, get your kids vaccinated, and get a booster shot when you’re eligible.

We are prepared to confront this new challenge. We have plenty of vaccines and booster shots available at convenient locations and for no cost. There is clear guidance on masking to help slow the spread. And we have emergency medical teams to respond to surges as necessary.

So, this is not a moment to panic because we know how to protect people and we have the tools to do it. But we need the American people to do their part to protect themselves, their children, and their communities.

The more people get vaccinated, the less severe this Omicron outbreak will be. One hundred sixty thousand unvaccinated people have already needlessly lost their lives just since June, and this number will continue to go up until the unvaccinated take action.

So, I’ll say it once more: Get vaccinated.
                                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X