X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    After 9/11 we shared a common enemy.

Today that enemy is each other.

We are in a literal fight for the soul of America, what will define it and who will govern it.

There will be little to NO compromise. The lines are drawn and there will be a winner and a loser.

In the end, America will look very different.
    Sadly I think you are more right than wrong. Not sure that there just won't be losers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
      You will recite these words! You will take your hat off! You will stand at attention - no sitting! You will not interrupt! You will place your hand on your heart!

Ahhhhh, freedom.
      and unity...don't forget unity
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        Sadly I think you are more right than wrong. Not sure that there just won't be losers.
        That's one way to look at it. I think we wouldn't be having this fight if there weren't already a lot of losers. If everyone had a good job, affordable health insurance, respect for their value as a human being, etc there wouldn't be any fighting would there ?

EDIT: should have said health care, health insurance is mostly worthless
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
          You will recite these words! You will take your hat off! You will stand at attention - no sitting! You will not interrupt! You will place your hand on your heart!

Ahhhhh, freedom.
          Nah, no one will make me do that stuff...but I can if I want to.

Except for the interrupting. No one should get to interrupt us when we are watching a movie. Talk during the movie, use your cell phone movie death!

And while we are at it, can you all do something about this concert situation? I hate paying for a seat and then have to stand for the whole concert because some rude person wants to stand and show me they now how to sing ALL of the words off key. I am going to write a letter!

Comment

Nah, no one will make me do that stuff...!
            Tell Kaepernick that.........
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Nah, no one will make me do that stuff...but I can if I want to.

Except for the interrupting. No one should get to interrupt us when we are watching a movie. Talk during the movie, use your cell phone movie death!

And while we are at it, can you all do something about this concert situation? I hate paying for a seat and then have to stand for the whole concert because some rude person wants to stand and show me they now how to sing ALL of the words off key. I am going to write a letter!
              You forgot about reclining airplane seats.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                That's one way to look at it. I think we wouldn't be having this fight if there weren't already a lot of losers. If everyone had a good job, affordable health insurance, respect for their value as a human being, etc there wouldn't be any fighting would there ?

EDIT: should have said health care, health insurance is mostly worthless
                If everyone loved their neighbor as themselves there wouldn't be any fighting.

It is really hard but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

Comment

Tell Kaepernick that.........
                  If back in the day you ever sat behind him at an event you would encourage him to kneel.

Comment

If back in the day you ever sat behind him at an event you would encourage him to kneel.
                    That is funny. I think.
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Well sure. I don't think everyone feels loved by their neighbor, unfortunately.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I used to believe that everyone was essentially good--I have found out that is not the case

Nor has it EVER been the case.

If you depend on the human condition to be altruistic and benevolent in every person, your going to be very disappointed.

And possibly dead.
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I used to believe that everyone was essentially good--I have found out that is not the case

Nor has it EVER been the case.

If you depend on the human condition to be altruistic and benevolent in every person, your going to be very disappointed.

And possibly dead.
                          I think that's sometimes true. Particularly with people where you have no control or no influence. I was raised in a home that went too far with "turn the other cheek" and didn't actually understand what the parable meant (defending one's own dignity while not seeking vengeance and seeking the actual good of the other person - not just allowing them to walk over you, which isn't good for them either). I saw how that didn't work and people took advantage.

But I have also seen that a lot of times people are what you expect of them. If you expect them to be greedy and mean, they'll live down to that, and if you expect them to be respectful and kind, they'll live up to that. A lot of people just want someone to believe in them a little bit and give them a chance.

I think you have to respond according to the situation and not with a blanket "imagine everyone is good" or "defend against everyone who is out to hurt me".
                          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                            I think that's sometimes true. Particularly with people where you have no control or no influence. I was raised in a home that went too far with "turn the other cheek" and didn't actually understand what the parable meant (defending one's own dignity while not seeking vengeance and seeking the actual good of the other person - not just allowing them to walk over you, which isn't good for them either). I saw how that didn't work and people took advantage.

But I have also seen that a lot of times people are what you expect of them. If you expect them to be greedy and mean, they'll live down to that, and if you expect them to be respectful and kind, they'll live up to that. A lot of people just want someone to believe in them a little bit and give them a chance.

I think you have to respond according to the situation and not with a blanket "imagine everyone is good" or "defend against everyone who is out to hurt me".
                            Agreed.

And though I often rail against Humanity, I do realize that it's the system and some of those in power who create the divide of selfless and selfish.

Those who covet money and power are the primary reason we may never get past this point in our evolution as a species.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

While I completely support loving your neighbor as your self...I'm not sure how playing the national anthem relates to that. If everyone where loving their neighbor we would have a lot less problems, but it seems like we need a backup plan. Perhaps something more than playing the national anthem at sporting events.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                                While I completely support loving your neighbor as your self...I'm not sure how playing the national anthem relates to that. If everyone where loving their neighbor we would have a lot less problems, but it seems like we need a backup plan. Perhaps something more than playing the national anthem at sporting events.
                                How about America the Beautiful as a backup plan?

Comment

Working...
                                X