Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should smokers be in the first priority group for the COVID vaccine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should smokers be in the first priority group for the COVID vaccine?

The State of Pennsylvania thinks that they should be. Do you agree?

I don't think so. There are people like prison guards who have no choice but to report to work everyday and be exposed to COVID. But, they are not in the first priority group. I think they should be vaccinated before smokers, who have made an unhealthy choice that increases their risk.
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Crap...i meant to vote no.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

IMO the criteria should be kept to basic demographics - age, occupation (e.g. front line workers), perhaps geography if some areas are identified as high risk. Inclusion of lifestyle choices ... nope.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

If it puts them at higher risk, why not prioritize them in the queue? I don't see anything wrong with attempting to limit fatalities. Yeah they made some really bad choices with their health. Raise your hand if you've always made the right health choices and you are in perfect health?

I've never smoked, but I think smokers should get it before me.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
          IMO the criteria should be kept to basic demographics - age, occupation (e.g. front line workers), perhaps geography if some areas are identified as high risk. Inclusion of lifestyle choices ... nope.
          I agree with this so I cannot vote.

I am not against smokers being in the first group but not because of it.

Same with over weight people. Not against but not because.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            I am not against smokers being in the first group but not because of it.

Same with over weight people. Not against but not because.
            This surprises me.

So if you know that not putting smokers/overweight people in the first group you have... X more deaths, what size would X need to be for you to reconsider?

Comment

My wife is a teacher, she has to report to school, and she cannot get a vaccination yet. F@#$ this.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                My wife is a teacher, she has to report to school, and she cannot get a vaccination yet. F@#$ this.
                This is wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  This surprises me.

So if you know that not putting smokers/overweight people in the first group you have... X more deaths, what size would X need to be for you to reconsider?
                  I think XL would be the top...ok just kidding.

Pre covid I was smoking about 3 cigars a week and I am 20 lbs overweight. This should not move me up to the front of the line. I need to isolate and wait. There will be enough to go around soon enough. The true essential workers need to go first. Doctors, nurses, teachers, clergy, policemen, firemen, Grocery store workers and true supply chain well before me.

I know I have great value to my family and circle of influence. In the scope of society I need to wait. Not too long as I have some influence in the manufacturing sector that is very essential. Most of what I do can be done (not as well) from home.

Comment

This is wrong!
                    It's a constant battle. My wife got in as I noted earlier just before Wisconsin's governor changed the rules and put 65+ year olds in front of teachers going back or slated to go back to the classroom. Members of our school board who favor kids going back after teachers are vaccinated have been berated during open forum, in public, and had dead animals dropped on their property. School board member social media pages are an embarassment to those posting.

Fortunately, our school board has stuck to their position - no teachers back until three weeks after the first set of vaccinations. Other districts aren't as lucky.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I think XL would be the top...ok just kidding.

Pre covid I was smoking about 3 cigars a week and I am 20 lbs overweight. This should not move me up to the front of the line. I need to isolate and wait. There will be enough to go around soon enough. The true essential workers need to go first. Doctors, nurses, teachers, clergy, policemen, firemen, Grocery store workers and true supply chain well before me.

I know I have great value to my family and circle of influence. In the scope of society I need to wait. Not too long as I have some influence in the manufacturing sector that is very essential. Most of what I do can be done (not as well) from home.
                      I understand the sentiment about not pushing *yourself* to the front of the line, that fits what I would expect from you.

But you really didn't address the question about others. Obviously the reason for smokers and overweight individuals to be prioritized is because they are at higher risk. So by deprioritizing them, we are increasing our death count. It's a bit of a trolley problem, but I'm surprised your answer is not to limit the amount of deaths.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        I understand the sentiment about not pushing *yourself* to the front of the line, that fits what I would expect from you.

But you really didn't address the question about others. Obviously the reason for smokers and overweight individuals to be prioritized is because they are at higher risk. So by deprioritizing them, we are increasing our death count. It's a bit of a trolley problem, but I'm surprised your answer is not to limit the amount of deaths.
                        There is so much that is unknown about why some die and others do not.

I do want to limit the death count. But first order of business is to limit the death count to those that help us survive. If there was enough vaccine to go around to those that want it we would not have to prioritize. There is not.

Prisons are a hot bed of the virus. Should they get the vaccine? Absolutely. Before any practicing doctor or nurse? No. Not a fun thing to write. If I had to vote, pretty easy.

I am not penalizing smokers, I just do not think it by itself should move them to the head of the line.

Should reformed smokers get priority over those still smoking?

Comment

I'm not sure what the right answer is but, to be safe, I've started smoking a pack a day. My wife thinks I smell, but I do have a vaccine appointment in two weeks!

Comment

Lots of ethical questions about who is a priority, and you can make a case for a lot of groups, as well as, cases against a lot of groups.

While priority #1 has to be frontline medical/hospital workers, after that you can make the case a lot of ways.

I think the idea of vaccinating seniors in long-term care facilities is essentially a humanitarian act, as these folks have been isolated so long that they need/deserve to be #2.

You can make the case that smokers because of the high-risk should be early in the line, as it will lessen the strain on hospitals. The same can be said for obese people.

Is the smoker/obese person more important to vaccinate than the 30 year old who works in the frontline grocery store? Again, we can make cases for either. The most important thing is for people to make it a priority to get the vaccine when they are able, and obviously, we have enough supply to cover people.
                            "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                            - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                            - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Interesting question

I am a teacher that has been teaching from my class in New Jersey every day - 1/3 in class - 1/3 zoom - 1/3 remote - it is very challenging
                              and extremely NOT safe.
                              We are one of the very very few districts in the schools in the county right now - The superintendent disagrees with the town council, the teachers, the union, the health and safety office, and everyone else about the safety so we go in

I cannot yet get a vaccine for teachers but smokers already can. I am scheduled to get one next week because of serious health issues

One good thing about getting smokers vaccinated is that they already have an increased chance to get covid THEN pass it along to me - so if they are vaccinated then there is less chance to infect others

Comment

Working...
                              X