No announcement yet.

Covid Vaccine thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am scheduled for my first one on Monday at 2:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      I am scheduled for my first one on Monday at 2:30.
      Congrats. Let us know how it goes. I hope to get mine by the end of May, assuming it will be widely available to all by then.

Comment

Bad news out of Denmark related to the AstraZeneca vaccine. One dead and one seriously ill two weeks after taking the vaccine due to blood clots. I have not seen any reports like this for any other vaccines, so I hope this isn't picked up and run with by anti-vaxxers, but it is a concern for AstraZeneca. I suppose it becomes an actuary problem weighing the probability of this outcome vs the lives saved through vaccination. But since there are other safer vaccines available, it is about just waiting longer until enough of the safer vaccines can be made.

Personally, if AZ were the only vaccine available to me, but I knew one of the others would become available soon, I'd wait. But it isn't an option here, and all the options available to people in the US appear safe and effective. But this news could impact some of those fence sitters. I hope the media will handle the news responsibly to ensure people are informed, but not using their typical fearmongering.

Also of note, Trump ordered 300 millions doses of AZ and the US has millions stockpiled in anticipation of it being approved. I don't know what the right move is with this. Even if the overall risk is deemed minimal, the amount of attention paid to the small number of blood clot cases make it a concern. It might be best for them to just on the stockpile, even if the numbers indicate a net positive by making it available, because releasing it could lead to more fears and less people getting vaccinated.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2BC0A4

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          Bad news out of Denmark related to the AstraZeneca vaccine. One dead and one seriously ill two weeks after taking the vaccine due to blood clots. I have not seen any reports like this for any other vaccines, so I hope this isn't picked up and run with by anti-vaxxers, but it is a concern for AstraZeneca. I suppose it becomes an actuary problem weighing the probability of this outcome vs the lives saved through vaccination. But since there are other safer vaccines available, it is about just waiting longer until enough of the safer vaccines can be made.

Personally, if AZ were the only vaccine available to me, but I knew one of the others would become available soon, I'd wait. But it isn't an option here, and all the options available to people in the US appear safe and effective. But this news could impact some of those fence sitters. I hope the media will handle the news responsibly to ensure people are informed, but not using their typical fearmongering.

Also of note, Trump ordered 300 millions doses of AZ and the US has millions stockpiled in anticipation of it being approved. I don't know what the right move is with this. Even if the overall risk is deemed minimal, the amount of attention paid to the small number of blood clot cases make it a concern. It might be best for them to just on the stockpile, even if the numbers indicate a net positive by making it available, because releasing it could lead to more fears and less people getting vaccinated.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2BC0A4
          I read the other day that the US is shipping AstraZenica to both Canada and Mexico, where they've been approved. Every medication has side effects, I wouldn't get too worried about this one, since you're unlikely to get it in the US anyway.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            I read the other day that the US is shipping AstraZenica to both Canada and Mexico, where they've been approved. Every medication has side effects, I wouldn't get too worried about this one, since you're unlikely to get it in the US anyway.
            Yeah, I am not worried about it, except for how the news might affect how many people take the vaccines we have available.

Comment

Congrats. Let us know how it goes. I hope to get mine by the end of May, assuming it will be widely available to all by then.
              It took about 40 minutes to drive through and actually get the vaccine. I had to wait another 15 minutes in my car to make sure I had no immediate issues.

The site was run very efficiently. The people were pleasant. While I did not get to choose my vaccine the site was using both Pfizer and Moderna. I ended up with Pfizer.

I literally did not feel the vaccine. I felt her put on the bandage and said did you apply it? Yes I did. I am still shocked. About 15 minutes after I got the vaccine, my arm started hurting ever so slightly. That went away in another 10 minutes.

This morning I am aware of the site as I type this but I would not call it painful. If I raise my arm over my head it feels like a buddy punched me in the arm. Nothing I can't handle.

I have no other side effects. The paper they gave me said side effect could happen in 1-3 days and then subside in another 2-3 days.

I am eligible for my second shot on April 12th or after. I will update if I get any side effects.

Comment

Yeah, I am not worried about it, except for how the news might affect how many people take the vaccines we have available.
                My wife explained it to me thusly...

The fact that the media are hyping up these blood clot incidents when Astra-Zeneca produces lower rates of blood clotting and other negative health side effects than the birth control pill, you know it's just bullshit sensationalism.

Is anybody out there claiming we need to stop the production of all birth control pills? Nah, it's bullshit media hype built to cater to anti-vaxxers. Sad that a portion of the media is seeking to prosper from spreading misinformation.

My sister in law just got the Astra Zeneca vaccine. She's in her late 20's but she manages a bar. Apparently if you're signing up for vaccines you have some degree of choice, but if your work is getting access to A-Z you're strongly encouraged to take it. She was actually asked in her job interview if she planned to get vaccinated when it was available to her, which I found interesting, and I would ask the same question. I'd hate to employ anti-vaxxers.
                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                  My wife explained it to me thusly...

The fact that the media are hyping up these blood clot incidents when Astra-Zeneca produces lower rates of blood clotting and other negative health side effects than the birth control pill, you know it's just bullshit sensationalism.

Is anybody out there claiming we need to stop the production of all birth control pills? Nah, it's bullshit media hype built to cater to anti-vaxxers. Sad that a portion of the media is seeking to prosper from spreading misinformation.

My sister in law just got the Astra Zeneca vaccine. She's in her late 20's but she manages a bar. Apparently if you're signing up for vaccines you have some degree of choice, but if your work is getting access to A-Z you're strongly encouraged to take it. She was actually asked in her job interview if she planned to get vaccinated when it was available to her, which I found interesting, and I would ask the same question. I'd hate to employ anti-vaxxers.
                  Yeah, I'm trying to convince my MIL to get vaccinated. She has refused so far. She seeks out any and all stories that confirm her desire not to take it and I've sent her stuff that shows no matter which one she takes, she is much better off. I think I may get her to come around on the J and J shot, as it is a one and done dose. Vox had a good video explaining how the notion J and J is less effective then the others is based on a poor understanding of the trails. J and J trials were done later when infection rates were much higher, so naturally, more folks would get infected. Plus, many in the trails were in places where new variants were emerging, and we do not know how the others would have done in those conditions. Finally, no one died in any of the trials for any of them, so they are all much safer than not getting vaccinated.

She is hung up on a general suspicion of how they were rushed (I get it to an extent, but the RNA tech is a real game changer) coupled with the fact that she believes she is careful and can ride it out. But she has a much higher risk of dying of COVID or in a car accident to the store than dealing with adverse affects of being vaccinated. I hope that as the number of vaccinated grows, more people will feel comfortable getting it. The data is overwhelming at this point that they are all relatively safe and effective. The only thing we do not know is if any of them have any long term impacts that we have not anticipated, but that seems unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    It took about 40 minutes to drive through and actually get the vaccine. I had to wait another 15 minutes in my car to make sure I had no immediate issues.

The site was run very efficiently. The people were pleasant. While I did not get to choose my vaccine the site was using both Pfizer and Moderna. I ended up with Pfizer.

I literally did not feel the vaccine. I felt her put on the bandage and said did you apply it? Yes I did. I am still shocked. About 15 minutes after I got the vaccine, my arm started hurting ever so slightly. That went away in another 10 minutes.

This morning I am aware of the site as I type this but I would not call it painful. If I raise my arm over my head it feels like a buddy punched me in the arm. Nothing I can't handle.

I have no other side effects. The paper they gave me said side effect could happen in 1-3 days and then subside in another 2-3 days.

I am eligible for my second shot on April 12th or after. I will update if I get any side effects.
                    Cool. Thanks for the update.

Comment

Yeah, I'm trying to convince my MIL to get vaccinated. She has refused so far. She seeks out any and all stories that confirm her desire not to take it and I've sent her stuff that shows no matter which one she takes, she is much better off. I think I may get her to come around on the J and J shot, as it is a one and done dose. Vox had a good video explaining how the notion J and J is less effective then the others is based on a poor understanding of the trails. J and J trials were done later when infection rates were much higher, so naturally, more folks would get infected. Plus, many in the trails were in places where new variants were emerging, and we do not know how the others would have done in those conditions. Finally, no one died in any of the trials for any of them, so they are all much safer than not getting vaccinated. She is hung up on a general suspicion of how they were rushed coupled with the fact that she believes she is careful and can ride it out. But she has a much higher risk of dying of COVID or in a car accident to the store than dealing with adverse affects of being vaccinated. I hope that as the number of vaccinated grows, more people will feel comfortable getting it. The data is overwhelming at this point that they are all relatively safe and effective. The only thing we do not know is if any of them have any long term impacts that we have not anticipated, but that seems unlikely.
                      SM, good for you to continue trying to convince your MIL to get vaccinated. Perhaps some other tactics that maybe you haven't incorporated:

- Does she understand that her being vaccinated helps others, including you, her daughter, her grandchildren, her neighbors, etc.?
                      - Try to explain the horror of caregivers being unable to see their loved ones, and that this is not what you want for you, your wife or your kids.
                      - If she's concerned about long-term effects, depending on her age, that seems short-sighted

My uncle who has a myriad of health issues shared that he was not going to be vaccinated because of the unknown long-term effects. I didn't want to get into it with him because I knew it would become political, and it wasn't worth it. I understand his difficult, as Agent Orange has done a number on him. He's in his '70's, and all I could think was the long-term effects is what's stopping you? That seems like an argument for someone in the 20's-50's.

Good luck and keep up the conversations.
                      "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                      - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                      - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                        SM, good for you to continue trying to convince your MIL to get vaccinated. Perhaps some other tactics that maybe you haven't incorporated:

- Does she understand that her being vaccinated helps others, including you, her daughter, her grandchildren, her neighbors, etc.?
                        - Try to explain the horror of caregivers being unable to see their loved ones, and that this is not what you want for you, your wife or your kids.
                        - If she's concerned about long-term effects, depending on her age, that seems short-sighted

My uncle who has a myriad of health issues shared that he was not going to be vaccinated because of the unknown long-term effects. I didn't want to get into it with him because I knew it would become political, and it wasn't worth it. I understand his difficult, as Agent Orange has done a number on him. He's in his '70's, and all I could think was the long-term effects is what's stopping you? That seems like an argument for someone in the 20's-50's.

Good luck and keep up the conversations.
                        Yeah, the thing I do not know yet is will she get her adult disabled son (my BIL) vaccinated? My FIL got vaccinated, reluctantly, because he had to for his job. She didn't argue with him over it, which you would do if you thought it was dangerous, right? She also seems fine with me, my wife and our kids getting vaccinated eventually, which again, is odd to me if she thinks it is dangerous. She understands that most people need to become vaccinated for life to return to normal. She just does not want to be one of them. My wife wants me to keep at it as she thinks I have the best shot of convincing her. We will see. It is a topic because she is flying up to stay with us for a few weeks soon.
                        Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-23-2021, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Update: I just talked to her and it turns out the primary reason was just a big fear of shots, which she played down over other reasons before, but that seems to be the main deal and I can totally relate to it--I don't fear them, but I hate them. I pushed the J and J vaccine as a good option, because despite her hearing it was less effective, we don't really know that, and it is just one shot. She said if I can find her a place and make an appointment for her for a J and J shot, she will take it. I don't know if I am allowed to do that, but I will try.

Comment

Update: I just talked to her and it turns out the primary reason was just a big fear of shots, which she played down over other reasons before, but that seems to be the main deal and I can totally relate to it--I don't fear them, but I hate them. I pushed the J and J vaccine as a good option, because despite her hearing it was less effective, we don't really know that, and it is just one shot. She said if I can find her a place and make an appointment for her for a J and J shot, she will take it. I don't know if I am allowed to do that, but I will try.
                            You should be able to book her for the shot - I reserved a slot for my MIL and one of her close friends with no problem. You may need to know her birthdate.

I've been like you - managed to convince four to get vaccinated - the two above and two of my friends. I just got the first Pfizer today. Didn't hurt much, but man, after about four hours later, I was really tired. Will see how I feel tomorrow.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                              You should be able to book her for the shot - I reserved a slot for my MIL and one of her close friends with no problem. You may need to know her birthdate.

I've been like you - managed to convince four to get vaccinated - the two above and two of my friends. I just got the first Pfizer today. Didn't hurt much, but man, after about four hours later, I was really tired. Will see how I feel tomorrow.
                              Tomorrow you are going to wake up as a full-throated supporter of AOC and the Squad. That's how us libs will take over the country.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                                tomorrow you are going to wake up as a full-throated supporter of aoc and the squad. That's how us libs will take over the country.
                                lolol!!
                                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                                X