Covid Vaccine thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    Interesting reports out of NYC on vaccination rates.

Article reference: https://www.thecity.nyc/coronavirus/...e-hospitalized

Key points:

- Only 60% of NYC health and hospital staff are vaccinated.
    - Only 60% of NYC Education workforce are vaccinated.
    - Under 50% of combined public safety (police, fire, Dept. of Corrections) are vaccinated.
    - Over 65% of Transit Authority workforce are vaccinated.

I found those numbers interesting and thought-provoking.
    Wow. Threaten firing (if possible, the unions would have to be behind it) and see those numbers skyrocket so these folks could collect their hefty pensions.

The hospital staff number is frightening. Imagine going to the hospital with a "pre-existing condition" and catching covid from an anti-vaxxer employee.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      The hospital staff number is frightening. Imagine going to the hospital with a "pre-existing condition" and catching covid from an anti-vaxxer employee.
      Indeed. That was one of the thought-provoking issues raised, for sure. I've heard the state of California's health care workforce numbers are even worse - around 50% - but was unable to find a document this morning to back it up.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Indeed. That was one of the thought-provoking issues raised, for sure. I've heard the state of California's health care workforce numbers are even worse - around 50% - but was unable to find a document this morning to back it up.
        As this article from about a month ago highlights, it breaks down starkly across education level: https://www.forbes.com/sites/judysto...h=290c642f589e

"The rate of vaccination is pretty much inverse of the education level of staff. Among practicing physicians, 96% have been vaccinated.* The rate drops to <50% among nurses and even more among aides, especially in nursing homes, even though outbreaks and deaths have been the worst in that setting."

Which, of course, is tragic, since nursing homes have been among the hardest hit medical establishments, with patients and staff alike dying at higher than average rates. And it isn't just education that plays a factor. Groups that have reasons to mistrust leaders, managers, politicians--underrepresented minorities, the downtrodden poor, all are vaccinated at lower rates. If you try to give medicine to someone whom you have long mistreated, it is frustrating, for sure, but not entirely the fault of those for whom mistrust of authority is ingrained.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          "The rate of vaccination is pretty much inverse of the education level of staff. Among practicing physicians, 96% have been vaccinated.* The rate drops to <50% among nurses and even more among aides, especially in nursing homes, even though outbreaks and deaths have been the worst in that setting."
          Under 50% with nurses? I don't buy the education causation there, even though there may be a correlation. If nursing aides are separated out, that means the vast majority of those will have at least four-year degrees, focused on biological/medical practices. Moreover, that would put them more than 15% below the MTA/Transit Authority, whose employees I expect average less than a four-year degree. That's another one of those thought-provoking concepts I was touching on.

Comment

• Like someone mentioned (I can't remember who) Dying of Covid is going to become an acceptable cost for allowing people their freedom to choose not to give a shit about others. Normalized to the point we become numb to the fact. Just like Mass shootings and violence by law enforcement. Sure we still care, but how far are we willing to go--personally--to stop it or at least bring about significant change.

10% of Americans have contracted the Virus to date. almost 2% of those infected --Die. That's just from the regular strain, the Delta looks to infect more people and though they've yet to have enough data to garner mortality rates of Delta, it has shown it produces more severe symptoms than regular Covid.

And as long as the number you guys posted above, combined with half the Nation refusing to get the Jab, It's never going to get better, in fact--it has an even better chance of getting worse.

I'm all for Mandating the Shot.

Mr Delta, Meet Senior Lambda.....
            Last edited by GwynnInTheHall; 08-02-2021, 05:31 PM.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Republican Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina announced Monday that he has tested positive for Covid-19 despite being vaccinated.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• One-third of all US Covid-19 cases reported in the past week were in just two states.....Florida and Texas.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

That's crazy to me. I know Houston Methodist hospital system fired their staff that refused to be vaccinated. It can't have been at these ~50% levels or they wouldn't have been able to function without those that they let go.
                  "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                    One-third of all US Covid-19 cases reported in the past week were in just two states.....Florida and Texas.
                    While I believe that's true, it's also deceiving. Those are two very populous states. Texas is in way better shape than Missouri, Arkansas, and Louisiana. They're just not as big.

Florida, on the other hand, is a mess.
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Nearly half of all cases were in just four states: Florida, California, Texas, and New York.

Comment

• The worst states by percent of residents currently hospitalized for COVID:

Florida
                        Nevada
                        Arkansas
                        Louisiana
                        Missouri
                        Mississippi
                        Alabama

And Georgia, South Carolina, and Tennessee are working on joining them, based on the surge in cases in those states.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                          That's crazy to me. I know Houston Methodist hospital system fired their staff that refused to be vaccinated. It can't have been at these ~50% levels or they wouldn't have been able to function without those that they let go.
                          Agree. Even 60% in NYC, which was better documented, was shocking to me.

Comment

• From Perceptyx, one of the better survey consulting firms

Are your employees anxious about working alongside unvaccinated colleagues? The likely answer: YES.

Our latest research reveals a significant “vax gap” between vaccinated employees and those that have either delayed or opted out of receiving a COVID-19 vaccine.

When workers were asked how safe they believe the workplace is: 44 percent of unvaccinated employees feel very little or no stress/anxiety when near other unvaccinated co-workers. But only 19 percent of vaccinated workers feel very little or no stress/anxiety under the same conditions. About 41 percent of vaccinated workers say they have “quite a bit” or “a great deal” of stress working around unvaccinated workers.
                            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                              From Perceptyx, one of the better survey consulting firms
                              I'm eagerly anticipating a return to court where there are hundreds of attorneys cramming the courtrooms and the halls, plus all the mass transit to get to the courthouses.

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                                I'm eagerly anticipating a return to court where there are hundreds of attorneys cramming the courtrooms and the halls, plus all the mass transit to get to the courthouses.
                                But if we are vaccinated, no worries right?

Comment

Working...
                                X