No announcement yet.

Covid Vaccine thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think cardboardbox mentioned he had an autoimmunity. i'm kind of worried about him. if I had to guess i'd say he hasn't gotten vaccinated yet. you know the reason why, right? it's because when you get vaccinated and your body is fighting covid, it's defenses are lowered against other diseases it is keeping in check, like shingles for example.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
      I think cardboardbox mentioned he had an autoimmunity. i'm kind of worried about him. if I had to guess i'd say he hasn't gotten vaccinated yet. you know the reason why, right? it's because when you get vaccinated and your body is fighting covid, it's defenses are lowered against other diseases it is keeping in check, like shingles for example.
      I already mentioned that kind of caveat, although not getting a covid vaccine for fear of shingles is a really odd decision since covid is much more likely to kill you. That would be an irrational choice.

Comment

• or that really scorching case of Herpes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
          I already mentioned that kind of caveat, although not getting a covid vaccine for fear of shingles is a really odd decision since covid is much more likely to kill you. That would be an irrational choice.
          it would be irrational. that's true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            That or I'd also argue that many do not care about having a plan for the world. They only have a plan for themselves, because it goes "me first, then my family first, then my community first, then America first," and I don't think many get to the point where their decisions are dictated thoughts of how their actions are aligned with a plan for the planet, as evident from so many people's position on climate change, which, if we continue to not do enough, will have a orders of magnitude more impact on our species and even more so on all other life on the planet than COVID. It isn't even close, but because the consequences take longer to feel, we have not done nearly enough to address that issue.
            I agree with GITH's recent post, but do have a difference of opinion on leadership behavior on COVID versus climate change. Every leader I'm aware of - in politics, sport, arts - who is advocating for Americans to get vaccinated are vaccinated. However, every leader I'm aware of in the same fields who are crying about climate change follow the most climate reckless behaviors known. Take, for example, the recent get-together in Sun Valley. West Coast air traffic needed to be temporarily shut down to....the number of private jets flying in. Key topic? Climate change.

It's not a clan issue, it's that us poor proles don't respond well when the elites are such obvious hypocrites.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              I agree with GITH's recent post, but do have a difference of opinion on leadership behavior on COVID versus climate change. Every leader I'm aware of - in politics, sport, arts - who is advocating for Americans to get vaccinated are vaccinated. However, every leader I'm aware of in the same fields who are crying about climate change follow the most climate reckless behaviors known. Take, for example, the recent get-together in Sun Valley. West Coast air traffic needed to be temporarily shut down to....the number of private jets flying in. Key topic? Climate change.

It's not a clan issue, it's that us poor proles don't respond well when the elites are such obvious hypocrites.
              I agree--you need to walk the walk to talk.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I agree, the rich think that different rules apply to them when it comes to environmental impact, but I'd bet many of the ones that care about climate change believe that the positive impact that they are making through big moves in their businesses far outweigh the little impact their personal indulgences make. They think they deserve to use more resources and pollute more, because they live big lives. They are important and their presence at an event matters a lot to a lot of people, so they go, and they go in style. I am not sure if it is hypocrisy to think that way as much as it is entitlement and self-importance. I believe you once made a similar point about L.B.J. In his personal thoughts and life, he was a racist. In terms of legislation he signed, he was one of the most important people for civil rights in our nation's history.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but would it be hypocritical for someone like Elon Musk, who is a raging egomaniac and sometimes massive jerk who calls innocent people who criticize him pedophiles and doesn't care if people die of covid or get overworked as long as it means his company stays ahead, wanted to take a G-6 to a private island and flew all of his friends their for a party? I think it would just be entitlement. He knows the impact, but he also knows that despite his many flaws, he may go down in history as one of the most impactful people ever in terms of saving our planet from climate change. I was much more annoyed by the stupidity of him pumping bitcoin for awhile there (the idea that he changed his mind after realizing how bad bitcoin it for the environment is insane to me--he is not an idiot, so he had to know that before). But if he was outside all day just spraying aerosol cans from morning to night, cuz it is what helps him get through the day, I still could not deny of dismiss the fact that despite his personal behavior, he is doing and will do more good for the environment in one day that I could possibly ever do in my lifetime. I wouldn't see him as a hypocrite as much as an entitled assmunch who I'd have to begrudgingly STILL respect for the good he is doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                  I agree--you need to walk the walk to talk.
                  I don't. Lotta powerful people have made positive changes despite thinking the rules they made for the rest of us did not apply to them. Lotta great, world-changing-for-the better-selfish aholes in history. Like my previous post mentioned, LBJ was a racist, but did tremendous good for those he thought were inferior to him. Heck, Lincoln was too. Musk is another terrible but great modern figure.

Comment

• I realize what I failed to grasp. I am unvaccinated but I live pretty isolated sort of, and I always wear a mask. I mostly wore 2 masks before everyone else did. i'd like to wear 2 masks again and I think I will, but surely someone will eventually say something to me. and if ever got sick, I would never be out in public until I was better, like being quarantined.

but you guys are talking about unvaccinated people not wearing masks? I dropped the ball on this discussion I think. I think everyone should still be fucking wearing masks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                      I agree, the rich think that different rules apply to them when it comes to environmental impact, but I'd bet many of the ones that care about climate change believe that the positive impact that they are making through big moves in their businesses far outweigh the little impact their personal indulgences make. They think they deserve to use more resources and pollute more, because they live big lives.
                      Ah, yes, the old Soviet belief of "some are more equal than others". I guess it's human nature, but also, human nature tends to detest a hypocrite, too.

My answer to anyone in politics, arts, industry or sports who considers climate change a life-critical issue is two words: "you first".
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• even if you are vaccinated, it's not over.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                          even if you are vaccinated, it's not over.
                          Especially if all these irrational people keep *not* getting vaccinated.

Comment

Ah, yes, the old Soviet belief of "some are more equal than others". I guess it's human nature, but also, human nature tends to detest a hypocrite, too.

My answer to anyone in politics, arts, industry or sports who considers climate change a life-critical issue is two words: "you first".
                            If everyone says "you first", nothing ever happens. We'd need people who say "me first".

Comment

• the funny thing about Elon Musk spraying aerosol cans from morning to night because it makes him feel batter is that when he goes to meeting's after, he doesn't realize his nostrils are covered in spray paint, and when he talks to people they all tilt their head trying not to stare at his nostrils.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                                If everyone says "you first", nothing ever happens. We'd need people who say "me first".
                                Agreed.
                                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X