Covid Vaccine thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    Did I imagine the part where we vaccinate kids before the attend school at the age of 4-5-6?

As for the bolded part, well my wife is 17 years younger than me so I guess the first part is true. But I have no power to cling to and no entitlements, though I do like telling people what to do so...ya got me.
    I didn't mean you. hehe. I am having a problem suddenly wanting to blame covid deaths on bad luck or bad health attributed to life choices like not getting a dog to challenge your immune system or living in a bubble or just being a clean person. so if you are one of those people that freak out about ants..

it's not the same vaccination. there's two camps, the true anti-vaxx, and the people like me that are hesitant about this particular vaccine. the stuff that lasts forever, old school vaccines. sure. I have lost my faith in society so much that I am actually hoping I get infected if I haven't already. I have immunity. I always wear a mask still. I just don't trust anything anymore. this is just my opinion. it's a huge gamble. either way.

oh I wish everyone was vaccinated so I can go to the Monkeys concert. or I wish everyone was vaccinated with experimental shots so we can start our trillion dollar economy asap. from what I can gather the argument is vaccines or treatment, and I admit the vaccines seem to be winning.

Comment

• at https://politicalwire.com/ the comments whenever vaccination topic is in the news. I've never seen everyone so united, or fanatic depending on your opinion. I've never seen our side like this before. if we were fighting each other before, we are becoming the same. maybe that's good.

when Trump was banned from twitter I was like yeah! but then when people I wanted to listen to like that Weinstein guy got banned I was like shit! it happened to us. for example, saying covid origins were unnatural before got banned. anyways. there's never been a more uncertain time in my experience.

Comment

• is it me or are cemeteries just wrong. could build housing or parks. ppl buried probably cock blocked everyone while alive, but it wasn't enough so we do it perpetually in death too.

Comment

• ppl that have break-thru infections rarely ever need to go to the hospital and never die. I don't see what the big deal is about not being vaccinated. if you are vaccinated good for you.

Comment

• this is one of those Hamlet times where you say something like get thyself to a nunnery or believe none of us or we are all foolish knaves. I bet I could find a better quote tho. it is Hamlet after all.

Comment

• at least I stopped you guys silly discussion about hanging judges and shooting people w/o due process..

my favorite Hamlet part No Fear Act 5 Scene 1
              Now, it’s wrong to say that the gallows are stronger than a church. Therefore, the gallows may do you some good. Come on, your turn

OTHER: Let’s see, “Who builds stronger things than a stonemason, a shipbuilder, or a carpenter?”

GRAVEDIGGER: Don’t beat your brains out over it. You can’t make a slow donkey run by beating it. The next time someone asks you this riddle, say “a gravedigger.” The houses he makes last till Judgment Day. Now go and get me some booze.

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest.

Comment

• “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• i'm still having a problem. I was hoping someone could help provide additional edifice.

so the way I see it, this disease kills old people. which at 52 I will be soon enough. if you look at the past, 1918, 1957 Asian flu, 1968 Hong Kong flu, these were all afflictions that disproportionately affected younger people. so my contention is the older people in power gave less of a shit. but now a different pandemic today is affecting older people 80%. and these older people, lets call them grandma, invested all of her stocks and monies in companies that outsource all of her children's jobs overseas. and then she tells her grandchildren to pay outrageous sums for schooling, shifting our country's economy. that's fine. but now a pandemic hits, and we have to vaccinate all the grandchildren, that where so far, no child under 12 has died without having a comorbidity, with an experimental vaccine. and then complains after she has shut down the economy, to get a job and visit her more.

and I say to you, the amount of abuse in the medicare system, have you ever looked. entitlement. smoking, alcohol, every poor choice you could ever make in life, right up to investing your money in companies that literally give towns cancer. it's crazy. I don't even know what I am saying. but we did it to ourselves. the debate if no different from climate change. suddenly we expect some miracle shot in the arm to save us from our gluttony, so we can continue our way.

do you realize the gamble you are taking. if this doesn't work out, if you have some kind of antibody dependent enhancement after the virus finds the right mutation, or the fact coronaviruses aren't the same as the flu, or god forbid fertility shit, you've just killed billions of people. at least realize the risk. because it's very real.

I thought this was a decent article. it can be debated. it's free if you register, which I highly recommend having access to WSJ weekend edition.
                  How a More Resilient America Beat a Midcentury Pandemic
                  In 1957, the U.S. rose to the challenge of the ‘Asian flu’ with stoicism and a high tolerance for risk, offering a stark contrast with today’s approach to Covid-19. https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-a-m...ic-11619794711 It was the start of the school year that made the Asian flu an epidemic. The Communicable Disease Center, as the CDC was then called, estimated that approximately 45 million people—about 25% of the population—became infected with the new virus in October and November 1957. Younger people experienced the highest infection rates, from school-age children up to adults age 35-40. Adults over 65 accounted for 60% of influenza deaths, an abnormally low share.

Why were young Americans disproportionately vulnerable to the Asian flu? Part of the explanation is that they had not been as exposed as older Americans to earlier strains of influenza. But the scale and incidence of any contagion are functions of both the properties of the pathogen itself and the structure of the social network that it attacks. The year 1957 was in many ways the dawn of the American teenager. The first baby boomers born after the end of World War II turned 13 the following year. Summer camps, school buses and unprecedented social mingling after school ensured that between September 1957 and March 1958 the proportion of teenagers infected with the virus rose from 5% to 75%.
                  my contention is long covid is an old peoples disease. the young are basically immune to this disease, and the risk benefit outweighs vaccination. all that is happening is a bunch of old entitled people that is screwing over young people, to take an experimental vaccine that has every chance of backfiring.

that's where my social responsibility and contract is. where's yours?

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                    i'm still having a problem. I was hoping someone could help provide additional edifice.

so the way I see it, this disease kills old people. which at 52 I will be soon enough. if you look at the past, 1918, 1957 Asian flu, 1968 Hong Kong flu, these were all afflictions that disproportionately affected younger people. so my contention is the older people in power gave less of a shit. but now a different pandemic today is affecting older people 80%. and these older people, lets call them grandma, invested all of her stocks and monies in companies that outsource all of her children's jobs overseas. and then she tells her grandchildren to pay outrageous sums for schooling, shifting our country's economy. that's fine. but now a pandemic hits, and we have to vaccinate all the grandchildren, that where so far, no child under 12 has died without having a comorbidity, with an experimental vaccine. and then complains after she has shut down the economy, to get a job and visit her more.

and I say to you, the amount of abuse in the medicare system, have you ever looked. entitlement. smoking, alcohol, every poor choice you could ever make in life, right up to investing your money in companies that literally give towns cancer. it's crazy. I don't even know what I am saying. but we did it to ourselves. the debate if no different from climate change. suddenly we expect some miracle shot in the arm to save us from our gluttony, so we can continue our way.

do you realize the gamble you are taking. if this doesn't work out, if you have some kind of antibody dependent enhancement after the virus finds the right mutation, or the fact coronaviruses aren't the same as the flu, or god forbid fertility shit, you've just killed billions of people. at least realize the risk. because it's very real.

I thought this was a decent article. it can be debated. it's free if you register, which I highly recommend having access to WSJ weekend edition. my contention is long covid is an old peoples disease. the young are basically immune to this disease, and the risk benefit outweighs vaccination. all that is happening is a bunch of old entitled people that is screwing over young people, to take an experimental vaccine that has every chance of backfiring.

that's where my social responsibility and contract is. where's yours?
                    seems unlikely that the vaccine will kill billions of people, but if you have some info to share on that risk I am sure we would all like to hear it. Without vaccines we know that many millions will die, since over 4 million people have already died.
                    ---------------------------------------------
                    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                      seems unlikely that the vaccine will kill billions of people, but if you have some info to share on that risk I am sure we would all like to hear it. Without vaccines we know that many millions will die, since over 4 million people have already died.
                      It's actually more likely that a mutation will occur in the unvaccinated creating a variant that is more contagious (which has already happened) or more deadly, effecting everyone--even the currently vaccinated.

The Unvaccinated are the ones putting the rest of the world at further risk with their selfish, willfully ignorant choices.

There's a fucking reason Small Pox and Polio are a thing of the past--vaccines.

JFC.

Edit: This response is General and not directed toward anyone in particular--unless you haven't been vaccinated yet, then--yeah--I'm talking to you.
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                        that was a little funny....but I've never for a second thought that someone wearing a mask would not be vaccinated, it's pretty much the opposite of what I think. People in stores in my neighborhood are about 2/3rds unmasked now. Probably will be less masks going forward.
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                          It's actually more likely that a mutation will occur in the unvaccinated creating a variant that is more contagious (which has already happened) or more deadly, effecting everyone--even the currently vaccinated.

The Unvaccinated are the ones putting the rest of the world at further risk with their selfish, willfully ignorant choices.

There's a fucking reason Small Pox and Polio are a thing of the past--vaccines.

JFC.

Edit: This response is General and not directed toward anyone in particular--unless you haven't been vaccinated yet, then--yeah--I'm talking to you.
                          I don't disagree with what you wrote (ha !) Sometimes I think it is good to let people think thru things themselves and respond instead of telling them how things are (from my viewpoint).

EDIT: I was actually thinking about getting together with some friends who sometime bring up politics that my wife and I don't agree with. I was thinking of explaining to them that I am happy to listen to how they feel and why they believe the way they do in order to understand them, but I have no interest in them explaining to me why I am wrong and they are right. They probably have no interest in me explaining to them why they are wrong either.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• i'll leave you with this somewhat profound statement. with all the selective pressures bestowed upon us from our environment, any landing you walk away from makes you stronger. or nature gives you a choice, or either die or change. or if you want to take the red pill, it's why we grow old and die. this is why I have my doubts about immortality. and I am sure the ability to live forever will be discovered well before everyone realizes it. oh the simplest answers are always right in front of us.

I have my doubts about society. I know mileage my vary, but something really happened to people. was it chemicals in the environment? were people always this way and I never noticed it? was it some kind of social networking technological cell phone thing? I think we should have secretive massive IQ tests on a global scale. but I think it's gluttony. everyone became greedy.

that's the fucked up thing about going into communist countries to defend free speech, when you bring America into something you bring our wealth and our corruption. Vietnam, Korea, China. Chiang Kai-shek was right when he said Mao Zedong and the communists were inhuman. but Chiang was even more corrupted by our attempt to help him.

and is it me or did George Orwell lift everything for 1984 from China's cultural war?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                              that was a little funny....but I've never for a second thought that someone wearing a mask would not be vaccinated, it's pretty much the opposite of what I think. People in stores in my neighborhood are about 2/3rds unmasked now. Probably will be less masks going forward.
                              I now only mask at places where it is required/expected. My county currently has 18 reported cases out of a population of nearly 200k, and our vaccination rates are above 70% for adults. I feel the risk is minimal, and masking isn't necessary at the moment in my area. I may feel differently when i visit Florida next month. My wife still masks up any time she is indoors, and we mask our young kids, since they are not vaxxed.

I do plan on masking indoors going forward any time I have a bug or allergy that causes sneezing or coughing, which seems to be a long overdue courtesy that I hope becomes more popular. But I don't see masking up on the regular of my own volition, barring a big Delta spike or something.

BTW, I just saw one of the few people masked at a store today take off his mask to sneeze, which made me feel he has no clue what masking is supposed to do. It annoyed me more than if he hadn't been masked at all. He sneezed right out into the air, not even elbowing it. He clearly thinks masking is to protect him and f everyone else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                                I now only mask at places where it is required/expected. My county currently has 18 reported cases out of a population of nearly 200k, and our vaccination rates are above 70% for adults. I feel the risk is minimal, and masking isn't necessary at the moment in my area. I may feel differently when i visit Florida next month. My wife still masks up any time she is indoors, and we mask our young kids, since they are not vaxxed.

I do plan on masking indoors going forward any time I have a bug or allergy that causes sneezing or coughing, which seems to be a long overdue courtesy that I hope becomes more popular. But I don't see masking up on the regular of my own volition, barring a big Delta spike or something.

BTW, I just saw one of the few people masked at a store today take off his mask to sneeze, which made me feel he has no clue what masking is supposed to do. It annoyed me more than if he hadn't been masked at all. He sneezed right out into the air, not even elbowing it. He clearly thinks masking is to protect him and f everyone else.
                                My county has 3 or 4 cases per 100,000 every day. So it certainly is getting to the point where the mask is not critical in short term exposure like a grocery store, particularly being vaccinated. If the last 30% of people got vaccinated it wouldn't even be something I'd think about.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X